Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bench Recommendations

• 28-09-2018 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking to buy a work bench and had a look at a fair few on Amazon.de. Some look decent but the reviews are terrible. I am very tempted in buying this beech workbench; https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01B55BW5K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1_1_1?smid=A2A9QMX9RUJ1V7&psc=1

Can anybody with some experience, tell me if this is a decent bench for a hobbyist? I want something sturdy and will last, this looks like it will last for quite some time. I would love to build one myself, but my tools are somewhat limited (no plane, no clamps etc.).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Woodwork is only something Ive started recently,but wouldnt it be better to buy the tools and timber and make your own?
    I dont think you'd need much to tackle something like Steve Ramseys Basic Mobile Workbench

What kind of work/projects and how big will they be?

And what type of tools do you have already at your disposal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Woodwork is only something Ive started recently,but wouldnt it be better to buy the tools and timber and make your own?
    I dont think you'd need much to tackle something like Steve Ramseys Basic Mobile Workbench

I agree - if you have sufficient budget to buy that bench then surely it would make more sense to invest in clamps and other basic tools you'll need or else you'll end up with a (albeit lovely) bench but still lack other essentials such as a few useful clamps!

+1 for Steve Ramsay's BMW as a first project, it's a solid useful bench that's easy to build and a great project for beginners (first bench) through to experts (outfeed or side support table, mobile bench extension and so on) alike.

For the same money, you'll have a bench that you built yourself (satisfying!), some new skills and some core tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Save up for a planer /thicknesser instead and then you can make your own bench. Timber in the rough is cheaper and you could for instance use fence posts for the legs etc.
    A dedicated bench is more for fine cabinetmaking rather than rough woodworking :D

If you don't have time and space to be processing a load of 2x4's or similar, you could always build Rob Cosman's 100 dollar bench:

http://www.woodworkers.ie/prices/p_sheet_mdf.shtml

It will cost you more than €100, but a lot less than that bench from Amazon.

Build it whatever size you want, laminate 2-3-4 sheets depending on size and thickness with MDF which you can buy very affordably:

http://www.woodworkers.ie/prices/p_sheet_mdf.shtml

You could skin it with a drop in sheet of plywood inset inside a solid wood outer rim, although as you can see in the video, neither of those things are necessary.

Sheet materials can be purchased cut to dimension if you have a cutting list and the same goes for whatever material you use for legs and framework. 15-18mm plywood would be fine and if you used baltic birch, it would even look pretty nice.

It's all held together using simple bolts, so I reckon a handsaw, a couple of spanners, a drill and a box of screws and couple of bolt sets and you're ready to go. Add whatever vice you want and you're done.

Guaranteed to be a much better bench than anything you'll buy flat packed unless you're spending well over a grand on a mid-high end Sjöbergs bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭dathi

JayZeus wrote: »
    If you don't have time and space to be processing a load of 2x4's or similar, you could always build Rob Cosman's 100 dollar bench:
    You could skin it with a drop in sheet of plywood inset inside a solid wood outer rim, although as you can see in the video, neither of those things are necessary.

you can get used oak flooring on adverts /done deal and glue it to the top if you want a hardwood surface on your bench

Yet another option is to use a combination of pallet wood and a sheet of 18mm ply - a very cheap way of putting together an extremely tough bench - the offset is the pain in the arse of deconstructing the pallets! .. I've built a couple of bomb proof ones this way; it's quick too.

This one uses a full pallet for the top support but you can just cut off one side to get a 110x70 sized bench very easily.

462901.jpg

All tools needed to build one of these; circular saw (a mitre saw would be handier), a couple of clamps, drill/driver, drill bits for pilot holes, a countersink bit, a straight 2x1 to use as a guide for the saw, measuring tape, sandpaper, a square for guiding your cross cuts and pencil!

Materials; a couple of pallets (or more if you're less careful/lucky when deconstructing them), a sheet of 18mm ply for the top, which you could double thickness if you want a tougher top, a box of 80mm screws and some wood glue.

Oh and Lidl BBQ sauce bottles are GREAT for woodglue :D

Came across this one in my youtube-ing this evening. I like it!

That is brilliant - haven't seen it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

JayZeus wrote: »
    What kind of work/projects and how big will they be?

And what type of tools do you have already at your disposal?

I wanted a work bench for general DIY, I am tired of using beer crates and other odd bits and pieces to work on. I built a couple of things, but the largest project I worked on recently was a well, I would have like to work on this on a bench instead of my patio ;P. It's not perfect, but I am happy with it.

https://imgur.com/a/iN0Y1jr

At first I wanted to build my own, but I stopped that idea as soon as I seen how expensive the gluing clamps were. they would cost more than the work bench itself.

I want to make some children's toys, jewelry box (simple design), bird houses, very small spice box, coffee table, garden bench. That's the list for the moment, in the Spring I plan on making a swing set, I don't think I will be using the bench too much for that one though :P.

I have a Metabo chop saw, bosch PBS 75 belt sander, Ryobi battery circular saw, screw gun, impact driver, some saws (coping, tenon & rip saw), set squares, protractor, sliding bevel, couple of small g clamps, 1 450mm clamp, 1 300mm clamp, very cheap woodies brand ROK chisels, mallet, wood glue. I have a Makita router in the post.

I am living in Germany at the moment, so I can't visit any of the local lumber mills you recommended, there's plenty around here though ;)

I would like to purchase the following tools at some point in the future;

Planer (medium sized and palm planer)
    Biscuit joiner
    Marking gauge.
    Jig Saw
    Good chisels

• Advertisement

Ah-ha. Okay then, here's what I'd go with, available from Bauhaus in Germany (something like B&Q, for those not familiar with the company)

It's a little more than your Amazon item at €399, but it's solid Beech, includes both a face and tail vices and looks to be a much nicer bench.

913982_21810863.jpg

https://www.bauhaus.info/werkbaenke/ramia-werkbank-diamond-1500/p/24720210

If that's just too much, you could get a 'manufactured' solid beech bench, same design and brand, for €299:

https://www.bauhaus.info/werkbaenke/ramia-werkbank-advanced-1500/p/24712794#overlay-product-id-1

Personally, I'd spend the extra 100 and get the solid wood bench. Prices include shipping in Germany. Not bad really.

Advertisement