Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October scary game time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think one thing that puts me off Alien Isolation and similar games is when I look up the length and just seems too long

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Think one thing that puts me off Alien Isolation and similar games is when I look up the length and just seems too long

So that covers pretty much all games :confused: save maybe sports games :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Alien: Isolation is a very good game and very creepy but the length criticism is justified. Feels like there is 2-3 hours there that doesn't need to be.

nix wrote: »
    So that covers pretty much all games :confused: save maybe sports games :rolleyes:

I mean for a survival horror game. My understanding is you have to hide as you make your way somewhere, basically like a stealth mission. Doing that for over 10 hours seems like a long time.
    I'll give it a go and see next time I play a PC game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I mean for a survival horror game. My understanding is you have to hide as you make your way somewhere, basically like a stealth mission. Doing that for over 10 hours seems like a long time.
    I'll give it a go and see next time I play a PC game

That's a fair comment. I haven't completed it but lots of the game I've played so far involve standing in a cupboard waiting for the alien to piss off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I forgot I bought White Day, might give that a go or go back to Yomawari, I got pretty far but kept dying so I stopped.

Fuko200 wrote: »
    I have a few horror games i need to play from my shelves but ill be focusing on Haunting Ground, Kuon and Rule of Rose.
    I'd love to play Haunting Ground again
    Still need to play Kuon
    I love Rule of Rose but don't need to play it again yet, soundtrack is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Darkwood.

Nice a frightful :)

Was just thinking one game I have that I never tried is The Thing on PS2. May add that to the list

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I remember finding the Shalebridge Cradle level in Thief: Deadly Shadows to be pretty fecking creepy.

• Advertisement

So decided to start with Project Zero 2 on the Wii. You know what's a great game just before bed? Project Zero 2. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

1518261525586.jpg

1518261525586.jpg
    You'll need a walk-through for the secondary objectives for missions, they're a bit silly, voice acting is awful but I still love it. The shibito in Blood Curse weren't as interesting as the other 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

You'll need a walk-through for the secondary objectives for missions, they're a bit silly, voice acting is awful but I still love it. The shibito in Blood Curse weren't as interesting as the other 2 games.

This marks my first time playing the original. I only ever owned the sequel (which I very much regret selling now).

Jesus.... FS1 is a lot harder than FS2...

This marks my first time playing the original. I only ever owned the sequel (which I very much regret selling now).

Jesus.... FS1 is a lot harder than FS2...
    I played 2 first and going back was really tough, they definitely improved it as it went on. Blood Curse was good too, the door holding thing was a bit hit and miss but otherwise it was great, last boss was unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

scv4box.jpg

Yomawari is getting a bundle release on Switch, it comes out October 26, 2018 on Nintendo Switch in Europe. It then releases in North America on October 30
    http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/30/yomawari-the-long-night-collection-coming-to-the-nintendo-switch-in-october/

Yomawari: Night Alone is available for the PlayStation Vita and PC. Yomawari: Midnight Shadows is available for the PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita and PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So are people keeping up with this?

I'm playing Siren Blood Curse myseld which I'm really enjoying other than the odd bit of six axis lunacy.

Definitely recommend White Day, short enough about 8 hours, has 11 endings I think.
    It's Korean horror set in a school with ghosts and you have to avoid the janitor too, if you prefer exploring afaik you can patch the janitor out on PC versions (I played on PS4).
    Some endings are locked out of difficulties lower than normal so I'd start on easy and go up if you want to get a feel for it.
    Guilds are very mixed unfortunately, tried to get the extra character, said to do x and play again, then others said you need y ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

For anyone who has yet to play it, check out Soma. It's fantastic is on sale on the Playstation Store at the moment. Fantastic storytelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

finished RE7 so will be moving onto RE: Revelations 2 next

I'm glad I played the standard version and not the VR version as I don't think my heart would take it

Skerries wrote: »
    finished RE7 so will be moving onto RE: Revelations 2 next

I'm glad I played the standard version and not the VR version as I don't think my heart would take it
    I played the demo but one of the lads was beside me and near hit em :pac:
    Its really fun, I dunno how long I could play it for, it makes me a bit dizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Bloodborne - It's just the best game ever made and its drenched in horror ;)

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Was surprisingly good, i got it knowing nothing about it for nostalgia reasons. I hadn't played a Castlevania game since the 16bit days and loved it from start to finish. Similar gameplay in this one to the god of war games (the ones before the recent one) The main characters voiced by Robert Carlyle and the game is narrated by good aul Patrick Stewart.

There is a sequel to it also, but i never got around to it, it got crappy reviews so i guess i didnt want to dilute the first games experience with crappiness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Alan Wake is back on Steam for €2.50!

Rejoice!

I have yet to play it but it has been on my radar ever since I searched for 'games that are like Twin Peaks'.

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Play deadly premonition instead. It's both ****tier and also much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Play deadly premonition instead. It's both ****tier and also much better.

It's one of my top ten favourite games of all time. I've been looking for a similar fix ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

nix wrote: »

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Was surprisingly good, i got it knowing nothing about it for nostalgia reasons. I hadn't played a Castlevania game since the 16bit days and loved it from start to finish. Similar gameplay in this one to the god of war games (the ones before the recent one) The main characters voiced by Robert Carlyle and the game is narrated by good aul Patrick Stewart.

There is a sequel to it also, but i never got around to it, it got crappy reviews so i guess i didnt want to dilute the first games experience with crappiness :D

It's not terrible, but it's nowhere near as good. Stealth sections ruined it a bit, but it's still worth a go.

I'm going to start Resident Evil 7 this weekend, and probably pick up Outlast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I can't remember the name of it, but it's a first person game where you are armed with a wrench that you can upgrade. There's days and night cycles in the game, where it's easy enough during the day but at night there's tougher enemies who chase you.

There's a bit of parkour thrown in also.

It was decent enough and there was a good co-op mode in it too.

Edit: I googled 'parkour zombie game' It's called Dying Light. I meant to get back to it after finishing the main campaign, i heard the DLC/addons were decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Alan Wake is back on Steam for €2.50!

Rejoice!

I have yet to play it but it has been on my radar ever since I searched for 'games that are like Twin Peaks'.

giphy.gif

Deadly Premonition is pretty much Twin Peaks: The Game whereas Alan Wake is pretty much Stephen King: The Game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 SmoothMalts

If you don't value your sanity, there's a brilliant game called Darkwood on steam. It's a top-down survival horror game in the truest sense. It's set in 1980's Poland, specifically in the middle of a forest which has cut off all its inhabitants from the outside world. Really avoids all the tropes of the genre, so no jump-scares or anything and a fantastic story (told a bit like FromSoft's games - very contextual and tied to the world.) Highly recommend it.

Advertisement