Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a hybrid for commuting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

5K is a short commute so you shouldn't have the comfort issues with hybrids associated with a longer cycle. I had a trek 7.5 for commuting,mudguards and a carrier for panniers were not a problem only downside was the odd snapped spoke, I'm on the heavy side.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Can you give an example of the type of adventure race you would be going for? ie distance or roughness of terrain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Canyon Urban or Cube Hyde (especially with an internal hub gear) could also be an option.

Realistically, none of these are ideal for an adventure race of any sort - for that I'd be looking at a cyclocross bike or even mtb

• Registered Users Posts: 19 beercan810

The adventure race is an absolute after thought. I'll probably do like 2 a year .... Sport category, mainly roads with some short forest paths

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the best hybrid bike from the ones I mentioned, or similar models. I already have a mountain bike and I've no interest in a road bike. Looking to get a no frills, well built hybrid

• Registered Users Posts: 43 GabbaTheHutt

The Raleigh Strada is much heavier than any of the other bikes on your list!

The Trek FX3 is Alu frame but with a carbon forks, much lighter and good bike for the money. Good bike to commute and do some longer spins on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 beercan810

Just ordered the Trek FX3 from penny farthing cycles. Looks like a nice bit of kit.

Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement