Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie with a stupid question or two

Options
  • 28-09-2018 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

So I'd like to get some wireless cameras for the house.

So to make things clear, I would need to set the camera where I want, get power to it.

How does it connect to wifi if it's too far?

How do I set it so it can be viewed on phone outside the network? i.e on data or someone elses wifi away from home. I ask this because I have googled but it talks about port forwarding etc and it doesn't make sense to me and also I know someone who got cameras set up didn't need to do any of that port forwarding thing. Just downloaded the app and connected, even outside the network.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Pussyhands wrote: »

So to make things clear, I would need to set the camera where I want, get power to it.

How do I set it so it can be viewed on phone outside the network? i.e on data or someone elses wifi away from home. I ask this because I have googled but it talks about port forwarding etc and it doesn't make sense to me and also I know someone who got cameras set up didn't need to do any of that port forwarding thing. Just downloaded the app and connected, even outside the network.

I'm no expert either but from what a friend has, he has 6 cameras that all seem to connect to a hub wirelessly, the hub is plugged into his broadband router.

He then accesses them through an app on his phone that I'd assume is from the camera makers, think he has to put the IP address of the router I to the app to access it.

It's a shame maplins are gone ad they would have ran through the whole thing with you, I'm not sure if pc world sell them, check it out, if they do then drop into the shop and have a chat with them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Are you looking for cameras that run on batteries only or can you run power to them?

There are loads of cameras out there, Nest, Logitech Circle, Arlo, Blink, Yi, etc.

I've got two Logitech Circle and two Yi Cameras.

How they typically work, is they simply connect to your wifi and you install an app on your iPhone or Android phone and you can connect to the camera using the app and view the footage. Some use cloud services where they store footage from the cameras in the cloud, so you can review footage that was recorded in the past. Some do this cloud recording at least partly for free, while some charge a monthly fee, depends on how long they store video.

Setup for the newer cameras is very simple and it doesn't need port forwarding, etc. That was only needed for older, cheap cameras, not modern IP/cloud ones.

If your wifi is weak, the camera might not connect or work if it can't "see" the wifi. You would then need to improve your wifi, such as buying a better quality router, better positioning or buying a wifi mesh system.

If you have questions about a specific camera, then lots of folks over on the Home Automation forum have these sort of cameras and can probably help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

bk wrote: »
    Are you looking for cameras that run on batteries only or can you run power to them?

There are loads of cameras out there, Nest, Logitech Circle, Arlo, Blink, Yi, etc.

I've got two Logitech Circle and two Yi Cameras.

How they typically work, is they simply connect to your wifi and you install an app on your iPhone or Android phone and you can connect to the camera using the app and view the footage. Some use cloud services where they store footage from the cameras in the cloud, so you can review footage that was recorded in the past. Some do this cloud recording at least partly for free, while some charge a monthly fee, depends on how long they store video.

Setup for the newer cameras is very simple and it doesn't need port forwarding, etc. That was only needed for older, cheap cameras, not modern IP/cloud ones.

If your wifi is weak, the camera might not connect or work if it can't "see" the wifi. You would then need to improve your wifi, such as buying a better quality router, better positioning or buying a wifi mesh system.

If you have questions about a specific camera, then lots of folks over on the Home Automation forum have these sort of cameras and can probably help.

Powered would be fine.

Regarding the weak wifi....a hub would be like an antenna between the camera and router right?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Powered would be fine.

Regarding the weak wifi....a hub would be like an antenna between the camera and router right?

So these sort of cameras come in one of two types:

- Hub based systems, you plug the hub (a small box) directly into your broadband router by ethernet cable and then the cameras connect to the hub wirelessly. Arlo Pro 2 and Blink would be examples of hub based systems.

- Wifi only. Cameras that have wifi built into them and connect directly wirelessly to your wifi router, with no hub involved. Most of the more modern systems are like this, Nest, Logitech Circle, Yi Cameras, etc.

If your wifi is weak, a hub system might help avoid issues with the wifi. The second option, wifi cameras require a good wifi connection to connect, but the upside is that they are typically cheaper. You can always fix and improve the quality of your wifi if need be. A good idea either way given the demands of modern homes and technology.

So these sort of cameras come in one of two types:

- Hub based systems, you plug the hub (a small box) directly into your broadband router by ethernet cable and then the cameras connect to the hub wirelessly. Arlo Pro 2 and Blink would be examples of hub based systems.

- Wifi only. Cameras that have wifi built into them and connect directly wirelessly to your wifi router, with no hub involved. Most of the more modern systems are like this, Nest, Logitech Circle, Yi Cameras, etc.

If your wifi is weak, a hub system might help avoid issues with the wifi. The second option, wifi cameras require a good wifi connection to connect, but the upside is that they are typically cheaper. You can always fix and improve the quality of your wifi if need be. A good idea either way given the demands of modern homes and technology.

Thanks. Is it as easy as it sounds setting it all up? haha

• Advertisement

Thanks. Is it as easy as it sounds setting it all up? haha

As long as your wifi strength is good, it is very easy IME. These systems are designed for consumers to setup and use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Port forwarding depends on your router and broadband supplier. Many isp's lock certain ports so you have to map them to another within your own network. It is a good idea to change from the default port to minimise the risk of hacking your camera streams. Most isp's also allocate your ip address on a leased time basis. If you don't have a static ip address then you may need to use a dynamic ip service like NO-IP etc.

If you go the hub route or if you need to add power anyway, consider a poe connection to the camera. This allows you to power the camera and connect to the Internet using the same ethernet cable, i.e. only 1 wire needed. It also means that your WiFi network won't get swamped if using it for other purposes like surfing the Web and watching Netflix etc

Port forwarding depends on your router and broadband supplier. Many isp's lock certain ports so you have to map them to another within your own network. It is a good idea to change from the default port to minimise the risk of hacking your camera streams. Most isp's also allocate your ip address on a leased time basis. If you don't have a static ip address then you may need to use a dynamic ip service like NO-IP etc.

If you go the hub route or if you need to add power anyway, consider a poe connection to the camera. This allows you to power the camera and connect to the Internet using the same ethernet cable, i.e. only 1 wire needed. It also means that your WiFi network won't get swamped if using it for other purposes like surfing the Web and watching Netflix etc

Port forwarding is only for the old camerasright?

I was trying to set up old cameras before with Eir and the web told me they blocked ports as they have phonewatch and want you to use that instead.

Regarding the hub, where exactly does it go?Why would an ethernet need to go to the camera? Wouldn't the camera not just send the signal to the router?

Port forwarding is only for the old camerasright?

Right, the above would only apply to older cameras (note you can still buy cameras like this, but I wouldn't bother given the better options now available).

Modern IP/Cloud cameras (e.g. Nest, Yi, Logitech Circle, Arlo, etc.) bypass all that mucking around. They connect directly to the companies cloud service.
    I was trying to set up old cameras before with Eir and the web told me they blocked ports as they have phonewatch and want you to use that instead.

Eir don't own phonewatch any more, they sold it. Also the is pretty ridiculous and probably illegal (net neutrality laws). Also it is pretty easy to work around any blocked ports if you use your own router. Anyway, non of that applies to the newer systems.
    Regarding the hub, where exactly does it go?Why would an ethernet need to go to the camera? Wouldn't the camera not just send the signal to the router?

The hub would go near your router and connect to your router by ethernet. The cameras are wireless. That would be the case for the likes of Arlo and blink.

Router -> ethernet -> hub -> wireless -> cameras

Separately you also have the more traditional CCTV/NVR setups, which is what machiavellianme is talking about. NVR means network video recorder.

Router -> ethernet -> NVR -> ethernet -> cameras

This has some advantages as the ethernet cable to the cameras can power the cameras, as well as carry data and you don't have any issues with poor wireless or the wireless signal being jammed.

Downside is the possible complexity of having to run ethernet.

Right, the above would only apply to older cameras (note you can still buy cameras like this, but I wouldn't bother given the better options now available).

Modern IP/Cloud cameras (e.g. Nest, Yi, Logitech Circle, Arlo, etc.) bypass all that mucking around. They connect directly to the companies cloud service.

Eir don't own phonewatch any more, they sold it. Also the is pretty ridiculous and probably illegal (net neutrality laws). Also it is pretty easy to work around any blocked ports if you use your own router. Anyway, non of that applies to the newer systems.

The hub would go near your router and connect to your router by ethernet. The cameras are wireless. That would be the case for the likes of Arlo and blink.

Router -> ethernet -> hub -> wireless -> cameras

Separately you also have the more traditional CCTV/NVR setups, which is what machiavellianme is talking about. NVR means network video recorder.

Router -> ethernet -> NVR -> ethernet -> cameras

This has some advantages as the ethernet cable to the cameras can power the cameras, as well as carry data and you don't have any issues with poor wireless or the wireless signal being jammed.

Downside is the possible complexity of having to run ethernet.

Thanks BK!

So the ethernet to the cameras option is basically like hardwiring it and you don't need to worry about wireless?

And if you wanted to record video for a number of hours on the wireless option, this is straight forward? Or is the NVR option the only way?

• Advertisement

Thanks BK!

So the ethernet to the cameras option is basically like hardwiring it and you don't need to worry about wireless?

Yes, when used with a NVR type setup.
    And if you wanted to record video for a number of hours on the wireless option, this is straight forward? Or is the NVR option the only way?

Depends on the camera you go with and if you get a sub or not.

For instance, with my Yi camera, it records only 8 seconds of video to the cloud when it detects movement. But it also records 24/7 to the SD card if you install one and you can review that at any time. But that is all for free, you can also opt to subscribe to their service and it will store much longer, including hours, to the cloud, depending on what sub you get.

Each company has slightly different options and setup, it sort of depends on what you want and need and are willing to pay for (or not).

Advertisement