Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passion fruit harvest

Options
  • 28-09-2018 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

Hi

My first time with these fruit. How can I tell when they are ready for picking.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If they're the edible ones, they should be very large, dark brown and wrinkly. IIRC (but I'll check in a sec and post back) not all varieties are edible. I have some like those, too, I picked one yesterday 'cause I wanted to give the seeds to a friend of mine, but it was spongy and hollow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

The insides of these are spongy, but do contain red slimy passion fruit type seeds.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Then you just have to taste them and see if they're too sour/acidic. :)

I checked, different varieties produce fruits of different colours, some more palatable than others, but they're all edible. For the ones that produce "aubergine coloured" fruits, you have to wait until the fruits are wrinkly before they're sweet enough. You can still pick them earlier and wait for them to ripen indoors, though.

Mine were completely hollow (very disappointing!) with a thick rind, and felt very rubbery when I squished them.

Advertisement