Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R/tist in the Spotlight - HelenAnne

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I feel like all the questions have been asked!

I usually get a bit philosophical with my questions.

1. Proudest moment in life?
    2. Biggest regret?
    3. Which Boardsies do you know best?
    4. Do you follow any training logs in particular?
    5. Has any female runner jumped out at you on Boards that you reckon has big potential?
    6. Are you on Strava?
    7. Favourite animal?
    8. What runners do you wear?
    9. What's the best thing about XC?

I'll leave you at that. Haha. 9 is plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

2. Biggest regret?
    5. Has any female runner jumped out at you on Boards that you reckon has big potential?
    6. Are you on Strava?
    7. Favourite animal?

They HAD all been asked!! That's what I get for gloating about being nearly through everyone's!

Ahem, I mean, thank you for the nice questions. :)

Any volunteers to be in the spotlight next week? I have someone in mind, but no reply yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Hi, have you ever any serious running related injuries? If so how long were you out and how did you fill the void of not running?

Hello ...
    1. Bad boy crush (yes, I did nick that from previous spotlights, but we need to know ... ;) )

How could I forget - Mitchell from 'Being Human' (I seem to have a thing for vampires. But not for any of the 'Twilight' ones).mitchell.jpg

Hi, have you ever any serious running related injuries? If so how long were you out and how did you fill the void of not running?

Hi!
    I'm skipping ahead to this question because a) it's short and b) I sort of answered it to Eyrie, so I can copy and paste (if that's OK!) :)

So, I said to Eyrie, re injuries: 'The longest I’ve been off (apart from last year) was 6-weeks with a calf tear in 2014. I’ve had a few chest infections that kept me off for a week too, but generally, I’m fit to run.' That calf tear was from running - it came on gradually, as a recurring tightness, I ignored it, and one day it just got VERY sore suddenly & I could hardly walk. Lesson learned!

As for what I did, I découpaged a side table! I thought découpage would be my new hobby, but then I got back to running and never did it again! (Must get back to it! :))

• Advertisement

Huzzah! wrote: »
    3. Favourite type of session?

Hello, Huzzah,

Just coming back to this - I did 4 x 1 mile with 90 seconds rest, at approx 4-mile / 5 mile race pace on Tuesday and actually really enjoyed it. I found the longer intervals easier than the 400s. So maybe that's my new favourite session.

My week in the spotlight is nearly over! It started last Friday, so I'll finish up taking questions tomorrow. (I know I have a good few more questions to answer, and I'll get to them before Saturday I HOPE :-)

I have a super-fab runner lined up for next week ... so save loads of questions for them!

Most eloquent spotlight yet.. enjoying it! My Wife loves JML as Sherlock too

What do you do with a book you start but find uninteresting?
    What goes through your mind on a standard training run?
    19:xx from a non sport background. You are quick. Do you like beating the boys?
    How do you maintain and store your running shoes?

Thanks for your kind words. Glad you're enjoying it!

What do you do with a book you start but find uninteresting?
    Usually I just stop reading it! Unless it’s something I have to read for some reason, like for work, or to learn something from it – in that case I might make notes etc of what I was learning from it to keep my mind on it.

What goes through your mind on a standard training run?
    I just think random thoughts! If I was somewhere scenic, like a park or the seafront, I’m probably thinking, ‘Hello trees, hello birds, hello skies!’ Or maybe I’m thinking about my dinner, or my day at work. Or sometimes I’m imagining triumphant racing scenarios. And sometimes I race other unsuspecting runners, or bikes.

19:xx from a non sport background. You are quick. Do you like beating the boys?
    I’m really not! (But thanks!)
    And yes, I have to admit I do like it – just a little bit (when it happens)
    I also love all-female races, like the BHAA in the summer, or the WMM – you can really see who you’re racing, and pit yourself against them.

How do you maintain and store your running shoes?
    Is my answer going to out me as some kind of slob who doesn’t maintain her shoes? What do other people do with theirs?
    I bang the muck off mine and then leave them beside all my other shoes.
    I'm one of those awful people who discovers their XC spikes every September, lying in the garage, uncleaned from the last XC of the previous year.

Singer wrote: »
    1. Will you do another marathon?

1. Will you do another marathon?
    I don't think so. I used to say I would if I could get a lot faster first, so that it wouldn't feel like such a slog. For example, if I could run a 1.30 half, then maybe I could do a 3.20 marathon ... but that doesn't look likely, and to be honest I just didn't really enjoy the marathon. Nearly four hours is too long to be trudging along wondering why you're doing it. I'd love to get back to racing half in the next few years, and I've always loved 10-mile races, but the marathon is just too long for me. fair play to all the marathoners though, and I love marshalling DCM.

2. Fave restaurant in Dublin?
    Aaagh, another foodie question :). I was out with friends last night and one of them was saying I should just pass all the foodie questions to her & she'll answer pretending to be me (she's a good cook, scientific flavour-person etc). I can't think of one! I was in Honest Pizza last night and that was delicious, if that's any help?

3. Ever had the urge going to the other side of the book publishing process? (Sorry if this is a sensitive topic )
    No urge, and not sensitive at all. People ask me that a lot. A lot of editors do write as well, (a famous one is Diana Athill, who wrote one of my favourite non-fiction books - 'Stet', about editing and also writes fiction), but I don't. I like someone else telling me the story. I love editing, and some of it has some similarities to writing - like in a substantive edit of fiction, I'd do a lot of thinking and suggesting and questioning about plot / character etc. But I suppose I'm more like the interior decorator than the architect; I like making something someone else has created look its best.
    I don't mind writing short factual things - I'd write blog entries for work / book reviews / cover blurbs etc, but that's it. I have never tried to write fiction, I just don't think I have any stories in me; I've never felt the urge.

4. What's your fave running gear? Any particularly nice or preferred tops/shorts/etc.?
    It changes depending on what's new and in favour at the moment, but I nearly always wear shorts (except in the really coldest weather) and vests in the summer, long sleeves in winter. My current favourite shoes are Saucony Ride 9 in navy and bronze.

5. Top 3 concerts you've been to (festivals count!).
    PJ Harvey in the Olympia years ago, and at Primavera about 7 or 8 years ago (I love her), The Cure at the Point in 93 and at Primavera a few years ago, David Bowie's greatest hits tour in about 1990 in the Point (I couldn't believe I was getting to see him in the flesh), Warpaint at Primavera a few years ago and at Forbidden Fruit this year, Bonnie Prince Billy nearly every time I've seen him, Calexico in Vicar St about 12 years ago. Festivals: I love Primavera in Barcelona, but I think Green man in Wales this year was my best ever festival, just for atmosphere, setting, weather, food, music - Phoebe Bridgers, Cate Le Bon, The Wedding Present, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Whyte Horses and Public Service Broadcasting were all AMAZING!!
    Also, years ago, when my friends were in bands (The NPB & El Diablo) all their gigs, especially in Whelans, were so, so fun.
    Thanks for this question! Enjoyed thinking about it. Sorry I couldn't cut it to three.
    And I know this is 'my' thread, but what are your 3?

6. What keeps you coming back to boards?
    I'll think and come back on this

7. Do you have any treasured running paraphernalia, like old race numbers, your first pair of running runners, Raheny 5M plaque etc.? Or at least hang on to any of it? Or is it straight into the bin?
    My husband keeps all my race numbers! It is lovely of him. He puts them up on the wall in the garage.
    I give medals to my little nephew to play with. The only medals or plaques I want to keep are ones I've won (mainly team ones).
    I like my marathon t shirt, and I like the things the race series gives out, like hats and gloves. And I love my Ballycotton and Croppy Boy mugs.

8. Any claims to fame?
    I was on Anything Goes when I was 9.

9. iPhone/Android/I don't like smartphones?
    Don't mind, have had both. I like to have a camera, otherwise, don't mind.

10. What podcasts are you listening to right now?
    DoubleLove (funny Sweet Valley High recap podcast), Hush (funny Buffy recap podcast), Slow Burn (about the Clinton administration) Woman's Hour (love it, so many interesting guests!), The Archers, Fortunately (one of my faves, two really funny women chatting and talking to radio-related guests), Oh no Ross & Carrie (alternative debunkers), My Favourite Murder (& have even seen them live!), This American Life, Marathon talk, Casefile (more true crime), New Yorker fiction podcast.

11. Do you run with music/podcasts/etc?
    Sometimes. I often run to work with a podcast as I'm going very slow. Other times, sometimes music, sometimes not. Depends on my mood.

12. What about running do you like the least?
    Nothing really. I suppose not running as well as I'd like. or sometimes trying to fit it in - I know runs don't take that long, but sometime with work and after work commitments, it can be hard to co-ordinate when to eat, bringing clothes, changing back into normal clothes before the next thing ... but nothing really!

Thanks for the questions!

PS, Sorry for taking so long to get to your questions, Singer. They were great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

HelenAnne wrote: »
    5. Top 3 concerts you've been to (festivals count!).
    And I know this is 'my' thread, but what are your 3?

I also can't name just three...

R.E.M. at Slane 1995 was the first time seeing my fave band from my youth. Oasis and Belly were pretty good support bands!

My Bloody Valentine are up there most of the times I've seen them, most notably for the first time in The Barrowlands in Glasgow in 2013 and recently in Oakland in July.

Rachel Grimes and Nils Frahm in a small room at the National Concert Hall in 2010 was as low-key and an astonishing a gig can be with just a piano. I bought the sheet music of "Book of Leaves" off Rachel at that gig which is now framed and hanging up in my gaff.

Festivals: Primavera Sound (2003, 2004, 2011, 2013), Nos Primavera Sound (2014, 2016) and All Tomorrow's Parties (2001, 2002, 2009, 2010) - loads of ridiculously good music including Boards of Canada, more MBV, a couple of PJ Harvey gigs, some Mogwai, Pixies, Slowdive, Autolux, Savages, Low, Blur, Deerhunter... Also should mention seeing the likes of Bjork, Sigur Ros, The White Stripes, Cornelius, Sonic Youth at other festivals like Sonar, Electric Picnic, Witnness, etc. :D

Probably the best festival experience was watching Barcelona win the Champions League in a lovely bar in Gracia, and then heading off to watch Mogwai, DJ Shadow and Animal Collective at Primavera Sound until 5AM or whatever. I missed Fleet Foxes and PJ Harvey because of the football but it was worth it! :)

Thanks for your answers! Still waiting on Q6 though :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

R.E.M. at Slane 1995 was the first time seeing my fave band from my youth. Oasis and Belly were pretty good support bands!

I was there too! Do remember when people started throwing coke cups in the air that they'd lit fire to? I thought we were all going to die :pac:

(Sorry to butt in...only time i get to contribute to a running thread is when its REM related :D )

Great thread HelenAnne it's been a great read all week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I was there too! Do remember when people started throwing coke cups in the air that they'd lit fire to?

I remember Oasis being pissed off that the crowd had been singing along to Girls and Boys a few minutes before they were on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

RayCun wrote: »
    I remember Oasis being pissed off that the crowd had been singing along to Girls and Boys a few minutes before they were on

I was there too :D As I recall it, Liam was more "annoyed" over someone throwing a rock at him :eek: That was a great day. 23 years ago now, jaysis!

EDIT: Sorry for the thread hijack H.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I was there too :D As I recall it, Liam was more "annoyed" over someone throwing a rock at him :eek: That was a great day. 23 years ago now, jaysis!

EDIT: Sorry for the thread hijack H.

Who are Oasis? 

JOKE

HelenAnne really enjoyed your answers, I would have liked to ask Qs but all the good ones were already taken :P
    I have noted the Sweet Valley High podcast however, sounds right up my street!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Who are Oasis? 

JOKE

HelenAnne really enjoyed your answers, I would have liked to ask Qs but all the good ones were already taken :P

Ah go on, ask me one! I think there are more men than women posting on boards, so it's nice for the women to get to interact!

I'll ask you one too: unlike some runners on boards, you raced shorter road races (like 5k / 10k) before training for a marathon (I know some new runners start into marathon training straight away). Now that you've done a marathon, which distances would you like to focus on? Doing more marathons / longer races, or going back to race the shorter distances?

I was there too! Do remember when people started throwing coke cups in the air that they'd lit fire to? I thought we were all going to die :pac:

(Sorry to butt in...only time i get to contribute to a running thread is when its REM related :D )

Great thread HelenAnne it's been a great read all week.

In answer to all you REM in 1995 people - I wasn't at that one, but I have seen REM loads of times. I really like them, and my husband and sister are HUGE fans, so the three of us used to go to their gigs a lot. I think my favourite was in the Olympia 12 years ago or so.

Also, while I'm not an Oasis fan, my Oasis claim-to-fame is that I was there when they split up! We'd got free tickets to Rock en Seine outside Paris as my sister-in-law's brother was in a band and knew Oasis. I really wanted to see Smog (who was great!) at the festival, but I thought I should at least go and watch Oasis, out of gratitude for the tickets. Before Oasis came on we watched Madness while eating our dinner, and they were fab - really full of energy and hits I remembered from my childhood.

So, we trudged over to watch Oasis, and we were waiting ages, and then this voiceover came on saying 'O-a-seees, c'est fini'. And we thought it was a joke. And then the voice came on again and said the same thing in English, and we all STILL thought it was a joke! But then about five minutes later a printed announcement went up on a big screen telling us how to get our money back, so it began to dawn on us that they really weren't coming on! And they had split up!

So the crowd started getting restive, and it was really packed, so what did Rock en Seine do - they got poor old Madness, who presumably were having a rest somewhere, and made them put back on their pink suits and trapeze harnesses and come out and play another set! And they were fab AGAIN! They won over a disgruntled crowd of Oasis-lovers and got everyone dancing by the end.

So now whenever I hear Madness mentioned I think what fantastic old 'show-must-go-on' troupers they are - two long sets almost back to back, playing the saxophone while being hoisted up on a wire etc, at their age! - compared to sulky spoilt-baby Liam Gallagher who wouldn't come on stage TO DO HIS JOB because of a brawl with his brother.

Anyway, the moral of the story is, I now love Madness! :)

Who are Oasis? 

JOKE

Double Love is really great! Give it a listen. They just v amusingly dissect every book, starting with book one. It really makes me laugh! One of the hosts used to write Red Lemonader, and blog that did really funny SVH and 50 Shades recaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Ok well about parkrun tourism; do you make a full weekend of it going to places pretty far from Dublin? I'd love to do more parkrun tourism myself but sometimes it's hard to justify a long drive for 5k and a coffee :)

Weirdest running conversation you've ever had? 

Real books vs audiobooks vs Kindle?
    I'll ask you one too: unlike some runners on boards, you raced shorter road races (like 5k / 10k) before training for a marathon (I know some new runners start into marathon training straight away). Now that you've done a marathon, which distances would you like to focus on? Doing more marathons / longer races, or going back to race the shorter distances?

You really know how to turn it around on a person! I am probably going to get back to 5 and 10k races in the new year, right now I'm thinking I'll set the Great Ireland Run as a target. That said, some really interesting chat on here (and I think in Swashbuckler's log?) about racing more as good practice, and then not leaving that one race as the be-all and end-all. So, I might have a think about that for the new year, becoming a race junkie. After that, I could see myself doing another Autumn marathon next year to be honest (unless DCM is truly traumatic)

I also can't name just three...

My Bloody Valentine are up there most of the times I've seen them, most notably for the first time in The Barrowlands in Glasgow in 2013 and recently in Oakland in July.

Rachel Grimes and Nils Frahm in a small room at the National Concert Hall in 2010 was as low-key and an astonishing a gig can be with just a piano. I bought the sheet music of "Book of Leaves" off Rachel at that gig which is now framed and hanging up in my gaff.

Festivals: Primavera Sound (2003, 2004, 2011, 2013), Nos Primavera Sound (2014, 2016) and All Tomorrow's Parties (2001, 2002, 2009, 2010) - loads of ridiculously good music including Boards of Canada, more MBV, a couple of PJ Harvey gigs, some Mogwai, Pixies, Slowdive, Autolux, Savages, Low, Blur, Deerhunter... Also should mention seeing the likes of Bjork, Sigur Ros, The White Stripes, Cornelius, Sonic Youth at other festivals like Sonar, Electric Picnic, Witnness, etc. :D

Probably the best festival experience was watching Barcelona win the Champions League in a lovely bar in Gracia, and then heading off to watch Mogwai, DJ Shadow and Animal Collective at Primavera Sound until 5AM or whatever. I missed Fleet Foxes and PJ Harvey because of the football but it was worth it! :)

Thanks for your answers! Still waiting on Q6 though :)

Hey! you did WAY more than three! I thought I was bad! But they all sound great! I was at that Champions League year Primavera. I did not go to the football, and PJ Harvey was so amazing - I remember thinking how brilliant she was at holding a crowd as even people coming back from watching the match fell really silent and watched her when they got to the stage.

Another thing that I really loved (& briefly mentioned above) was the PSB show at Green Man this year. Their latest album 'Every Valley' is all about Wales, and coal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Every_Valley), so it was really amazing hearing the songs and watching the visuals IN Wales. But then at the end of their set, these miners lanterns were lowered down from the roof, and a miners' male voice choir, The Beaufort Male Choir, came on and sang! It was spine tingling! Just the setting, and after watching all the visuals about mining / strikes etc, it was so amazing!

• Advertisement

Ok well about parkrun tourism; do you make a full weekend of it going to places pretty far from Dublin? I'd love to do more parkrun tourism myself but sometimes it's hard to justify a long drive for 5k and a coffee :)

Weirdest running conversation you've ever had? 

Real books vs audiobooks vs Kindle?

You really know how to turn it around on a person! I am probably going to get back to 5 and 10k races in the new year, right now I'm thinking I'll set the Great Ireland Run as a target. That said, some really interesting chat on here (and I think in Swashbuckler's log?) about racing more as good practice, and then not leaving that one race as the be-all and end-all. So, I might have a think about that for the new year, becoming a race junkie. After that, I could see myself doing another Autumn marathon next year to be honest (unless DCM is truly traumatic)

Thank you!!
    Parkrun tourism: I'm going to call in my husband, eoinín, to answer this one too, as he's the really committed parkrun tourist - he'll get up at 5am to drive to Cork & back for a parkrun, but he a) likes collecting things b) is very committed to parkrun and c) is very sociable and loves meeting RDs etc.

I'm a bit lazier - if there's a nice weekend away I'll definitely enthusiastically do parkrun tourism. I loved having weekends away for Inch parkrun, and Victoria park and Dunfanaghy and Portrush. As soon as I hear 'weekend' I'm in! I'll also do ones within an hour or so of Dublin. The longest on-the-day drive I've done for parkrun is to Castlerea.

Running conversations: I can't remember any weird ones. However, I am such a chatter, and so little seems to be off-limits for me to chat about, that quite possibly other people listening in might think my conversations were weird. In life, generally, I spend most of my time trying to curb myself so that I don't a) talk all the time and give no one else time to talk and b) tell people so much about myself (viz. this whole thread) that they are weirded out by me. The struggle is real :)

Real books v kindle: well, maybe because I work in publishing, I kind of think of the content of a book as a 'real book - that (for me) is where all the work goes in. So I'm really happy to read books on my kindle, especially for holidays / serieses where I want the next book AT ONCE etc. But on the other hand, I do love cover finishes etc (when we were in Powells Books in Portland I was stroking the covers and forcing Eoin to admire super-matt covers and debossed type etc etc) so I also love paper books. And paper books never run out of batteries or get a cracked screen or distract you with facebook notifications while you're reading... so I'd say I like to have both and would be sorry if I had to choose (I would probably choose paper if I had to, as they are more reliable).

I never really listen to audiobooks. Though I do LOVE the audiobooks of Alan Partridge's autobiographies, read by himself. I could listen to them on repeat, and I'm laughing even thinking of them now.

Thanks for your 'fave distance' reply. I agree that there's a lot to be said for racing regularly.

annapr wrote: »
    Hi Helen,
    Great answers above and some fantastic tips for racing and training.... thanks!

A few questions for you, apologies if I missed these above and feel free to refer me to the answer if answered already:
    1. What's your proudest running moment? A race/result/performance....?

2. I know you're very encouraging of your sister, who it seems is a recent convert to running...? Do you think she'll catch you over any distance and are the two of you competitive with each other?

Thanks!

Sorry for taking so long to get to you, Anna. Thank you for the lovely questions. Managed to answer SOME of your questions at lunchtime. I'll try to get to the rest by tomorrow. And then on Monday I'll introduce the next victim subject for the Spotlight!

1. What's your proudest running moment? A race/result/performance....?
    Hmm. I suppose they change all the time as you move the goalposts and hope for improved performances, but I was pretty proud at the (SHORT!) Grant Thornton when I got my fake sub-20 (but it was so far sub-20 that I think it would have been a PB even on a correct course) and finished 19th F. I thought top 20 in a big race like that was pretty good. I was also very happy when I finally broke 20 on a properly measured course, and the shine hasn’t gone off that yet as I haven’t done it very many times.
    The first time I ran under 6 minutes for a mile was a big surprise to me, and while I was still not really believing I’d broken a round number, the ladies captain read out the teams for the National Road Relays later that week and I was on one! I was sick with nerves then, but still secretly proud.
    This year I was 2nd scorer on the winning women’s masters’ team in the Terenure 5 mile. I was pretty proud of that, as had I really thought it would be a long time before I scored on a team again. I really love winning team prizes – going up to get a prize with my team mates is an even nicer feeling than going up on your own, I think.
    Also, I was quite proud of my run in that race – I was aware that we had enough FO40s running to make a team, but that one of the (usually better than me) women was carrying an injury, so I really thought of the team whenever I wanted to slow.

I think the first parkrun (& it was Malahide) that I ran all of, post-surgery, was quite a proud moment (I also felt relief that nothing terrible had gone wrong with me during it!)

2. I know you're very encouraging of your sister, who it seems is a recent convert to running...? Do you think she'll catch you over any distance and are the two of you competitive with each other?
    I am very encouraging! I’m proud of her – she has two young kids and a job, and lives in the countryside where you really have to drive to find safe footpath to run on. Also, because she didn’t run through her pregnancies and when her first child was small, it hadn’t become a part of the family routine, so then it’s hard to carve out time to run … anyway, she seems to really like it, and has knocked about 5 minutes off her 5k time this year. Her little boy is doing Junior parkrun now too.
    I think she might have more natural speed and talent than me – she has a really whippety build – she’s really slim and willowy with long legs – and I think for the amount of training she does, she’s a faster runner than me. She could catch me if she had the time and inclination to train more. She SAYS she’s not competitive and doesn’t care about racing, but I don’t know …
    We’re not competitive at the moment, as we have different paces, but I think if she did run more and matched me we’d enjoy a friendly rivalry.

annapr wrote: »

3. You have perfected the thousand-yard stare during races... you always look in the zone at the business end of a race... is that when you're talking to yourself? :)

4. Do you have a running nemesis? Someone you would really love to beat? (You don't have to name names :))

5. Have you set any running goals or targets for the near future? What are they?

Thanks!

And I'm BACK, Anna!

3. 1,000 yard stare: Have I?? What do I look like at the end of races? If It's the very end, like the last 800m or whatever, I'm probably counting to 30 in my head - promising myself (BUT IT'S A LIE TO MYSELF!! :)) that I can slow down after 30 seconds and / or trying to detach my brain from my body and run THROUGH the finish line. Definitely taking it over seriously!

4. Nemeses: There are loads of people I like to beat, but it changes depending on where they and I are, fitness wise. And I didn't want to beat them, to beat THEM (as people), it's more that I tend to measure myself against others and think 'If I can stay with / pass him or her, I'm doing well.'
    I did have a nemesis once (& I'm not going to tell you anything about them that could identify them). They didn't know they were my nemesis, but we'd had words once, at a running event, and I somewhat recklessly threw down a running-related challenge as a comeback. And then for a few years I lived in fear of being humbled & shown up as all talk by being beaten by them :pac:. All in the past now! :o

More recently, I had a very brief nemesis, I was slightly flagging in a parkrun when a guy got ahead of me by cutting a corner HUGELY - like I'd say he cut 50-100 metres. So that spurred me on to speed up and catch and pass him (another man I passed on my way to passing the cheater said 'Go on, get him!' so we were obviously all thinking the same!)

(This whole answer is casting me in an unpleasant overly-competitive light, sorry readers!)

5. Goals or targets: I want to up my mileage, run a strong 10-mile race in November (ie don't die on the hills, don't slow too much as the miles go on), and I'd love to break 20 minutes for 5k in 2018. But if I didn't I'll keep trying in 2019.
    I'd also like to be able to do a pull up (if tiny Alison Brie (from 'G.L.O.W.' can do it, why can't I?

Thank you!

2. Biggest regret?
    6. Are you on Strava?
    7. Favourite animal?

Phew! Last round of questions. Thanks for asking them.

I'm skipping 1 & 2 (sorry!) - I don't have a proudest moment - I have no kids and no great achievements, so my proudest moments are much more mutable than for people who can say 'it was the day I saved an old lady from a fire' or 'the day my triplets were born' - I just have random small proud moments from time to time, I suppose. I can't think of a big regret, and I'd rather not try to think of one in case it plunges me into despair :)

My husband is on the running forums, and my two best IRL pals are here too, but rarely post. otherwise, I think I know MarthaStew & Killerz the best. I know Sacksian from off boards, through friends, and I know Murph, aquinn, annapr, Laura_ac, DubGal from races / parkrun etc. I know Testosterscone & RayCun & Singer to say hi to at races etc. A few of my club mates post here too.

I used to read MarthaStew, ClaraLara, Ososlo/Ultrawoman, TFGR (I really liked the logs that were a bit more descriptive about the runs they did etc) all the time. Now that they're not really posting, I really just read Testosterscone, and sometimes RayCun. Other people's I just dip into if I know they've done a race, because I like reading race reports. I must get into a few more though. Any recommendations?

See above - I don't read the logs enough! Obviously DubGal & MarthaStew are fantastic runners, and ClaraLara & Seres were too when they were on boards. Ultrawoman had a fascinating journey to success as well, and I liked following BungyGirls track training.

6. Are you on Strava?
    No

7. Favourite animal?
    For a pet, cat or whippet. In the wild - I really, really love birds, and I think donkeys are super-cute, and I saw chipmunks in the wild in America and was very taken with them. Basically, I love most animals that won't eat me (I was afraid of bears and cougars in America).

Saucony Ride, Brooks Ghost, Brooks Launch, New Balance 1400

The team, watching the men after we've finished, putting on dry shoes after, eating cake after.

Thank you!

And that's it, folks!! Ii'll have a new person for you on Sunday or Monday.

Thanks, aquinn, for asking me. Thanks for all the questions. Sorry my answers were SO LONG!! (& lacking in concrete training advice). I hope you've all learned something from this thread -- that Madness are WAY better than Oasis! :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

HelenAnne wrote:
    4. Do you follow any training logs in particular? I used to read MarthaStew, ClaraLara, Ososlo/Ultrawoman, TFGR (I really liked the logs that were a bit more descriptive about the runs they did etc) all the time. Now that they're not really posting, I really just read Testosterscone, and sometimes RayCun. Other people's I just dip into if I know they've done a race, because I like reading race reports. I must get into a few more though. Any recommendations?

Thanks for the answers and the Q&A in general. Turned into some fun discussion and chat which is what one of these should be.

I follow an awful lot of logs so couldn't really recommend any in particular as it depends what you're looking for. Some are just fun to follow and very funny/quirky. Others I've just learned a lot from and has directly affected my approach to training and racing.
    Seems like a lot of the old school from the glory days don't really post here anymore. Thanks again for the answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

HelenAnne wrote: »

(How cool that you studied it in school too! So did my sister and I, but you don't meet many people who did. Χαῖρε!)

Haha, more of us than you think. I did Greek and Roman Civilization back in college myself (take Herodutus over Pliny everytime)

Few questions before the end

1. Given the time of year, Booker prize, any favourites among the shortlist?

2. Raheny Shamrocks - life after the Hoopers or a new world order?

3. What does running mean to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The Hoopers are stepping down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Enjoyed this thread. Thanks HelenAnne. All the good punctuation makes sense now. Have you ever considered writing more e.g. on a blog?

The Hoopers are stepping down?

Quick reply - no! Of course not! In fact we just had an AGM and they are still treasurer and men’s captain. Phew!
    I think Testosterscone means ‘in the far future how do you envisage it’

• Advertisement

Haha, more of us than you think. I did Greek and Roman Civilization back in college myself (take Herodutus over Pliny everytime)

Few questions before the end

1. Given the time of year, Booker prize, any favourites among the shortlist?

2. Raheny Shamrocks - life after the Hoopers or a new world order?

3. What does running mean to you?

Ha! You sneaked in just under the wire! Thanks for the questions.

1. Booker:
    I haven't read any of the short or long list, but from the longlist, I've read Donal Ryan before and liked his books, and I keep feeling I should try Sally Rooney - some of my friends rave about 'Conversations with Friends' and some say all the characters are absolute doses, so I'm torn! Must give her a try though.

From the shortlist, I have had Esi Edugyan's 'Washington Black' on my TBR list for a while. I nearly bought it in America, but I was worried about the weight of my bags etc ... it's a partly magic-realist historical novel set on a slave plantation in Barbados & it's meant to be very good. So I'll definitely read that.

2. Raheny & The Hoopers - they are sort of synonymous, and (as a Raheny native) I've been following their careers since I was a kid (they're local celebrities). I can't imagine the club without them, and hopefully they will both be with it for many years to come. But a club changes over the years, and there are loads of brilliant runners and coaches and volunteers, so I'm sure there'll always be people willing to step up.

3. What does running mean to me.
    I'd say this is probably the most personal question anyone has asked! (I don't mean that in a bad way, I mean, probably everyone's answer to this question will have similarities, but will also be so individual to them!)

Apart from the practical and peripheral things I've gained from running, like a stronger body, new friends, social outlet, learning that I liked competing as opposed to participating etc, I think the two things that mean most to me about running are how I feel doing it and how it makes me experience the world around me.

When I was younger, like a lot of women, I definitely had a lot of negative feelings about my body. Also, because I didn't play sports, I probably felt that the core of 'me' was in my brain, my opinions etc. I felt more detached from my physical self. Since taking up running, I feel much more positive towards my body, I think I can genuinely say I like myself, and also if someone was to ask me what made me 'me', I would now include my whole self, body and mind, in my concept of 'me'. Does that sound mad? I don't know if I'm explaining it properly.

As regards the world around me, I do like walking too, but I feel much more immersed in the scene around me, particularly the natural world, when I'm running. It may be because I'm less encumbered when I'm running - I'm usually lugging loads of bags etc when I'm walking somewhere, but I just feel more present when I'm running, say in the park or the mountains, than I do when I'm walking or on the bus or whatever.

And on that 'philosophical' note, this is your Raheny correspondent signing out! Thank you so much for the questions, Testosterscone, and thanks everyone for the questions and the discussions.

I'm off to start up a thread for the next 'interviewee'.

Advertisement