Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micksgarage Misleading Promotion

Options
  • 28-09-2018 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Micks Garage sent out an email last night, basically they said if you buy a NextBase dash cam you'll get 10% off your AXA policy.

There are no terms or conditions on the email, on their website relating to the promotion and the description was vague, just said save 10% (see attachments).

With no terms and conditions, I was curious before committing to a purchase, so I rang Micks Garage this morning and was told that they don't actually know much about the promotion either that I would need to contact AXA and that the brands in the email might not be eligible for the promotion, it was up to AXA.

This left a sour taste in my mouth as they were advertising the NextBase dash cams in the email and in the title it says if you buy a NextBase dash cam you will get 10% off AXA policy.

So I decided to get onto AXA to find out more, this is where it gets interesting. AXA told me that they never heard of such a promotion and are not offering 10% off, that they have had multiple people calling this morning with the same question.

Now, I didn't end up buying the dash cam, but I'm sure others would have jumped on this and bought one to find out now that no such offer exists.

Are Micks Garage false advertising? Can I put in a complaint to the advertising standards, as I feel many people will be stung by this.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

More likely someone messed up the wording and its 10% off the price of the dashcam - Axa did it with Halfords

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

fritzelly wrote: »
    More likely someone messed up the wording and its 10% off the price of the dashcam - Axa did it with Halfords

I thought that too but if you look at the screenshots attached it even shows the axa logo, surely they didnt mix that up too?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

I thought that too but if you look at the screenshots attached it even shows the axa logo, surely they didnt mix that up too?

I think he meant that AXA are still involved in the deal. Just that it's a case of if you've insurance with them you'll get 10% off the dashcam purchase as opposed to vice versa.

I think he meant that AXA are still involved in the deal. Just that it's a case of if you've insurance with them you'll get 10% off the dashcam purchase as opposed to vice versa.

Ah I get you, but then again if you look at the screenshots the promo code is there its INSURANCE, i entered this as a guest and got the 10% off so I dont think thats the case

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'd be careful getting discounts from insurance companies. I can get 10 percent off my home insurance because I have an alarm. If I get broken into & the alarm isn't set or working correctly the insurance won't pay out a penny. As a result I don't claim my 10 percent discount.

I have a dash cam and I can get 10 percent discount on motor insurance. However if the dash cam isn't working correctly or the memory card is damaged they can refuse to pay out or reduce the claim. Memory cards can become damaged very easily if you forget to format the card every two weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi all,

Micks Garage sent out an email last night, basically they said if you buy a NextBase dash cam you'll get 10% off your AXA policy.

There are no terms or conditions on the email, on their website relating to the promotion and the description was vague, just said save 10% (see attachments).

With no terms and conditions, I was curious before committing to a purchase, so I rang Micks Garage this morning and was told that they don't actually know much about the promotion either that I would need to contact AXA and that the brands in the email might not be eligible for the promotion, it was up to AXA.

This left a sour taste in my mouth as they were advertising the NextBase dash cams in the email and in the title it says if you buy a NextBase dash cam you will get 10% off AXA policy.

So I decided to get onto AXA to find out more, this is where it gets interesting. AXA told me that they never heard of such a promotion and are not offering 10% off, that they have had multiple people calling this morning with the same question.

Now, I didn't end up buying the dash cam, but I'm sure others would have jumped on this and bought one to find out now that no such offer exists.

Are Micks Garage false advertising? Can I put in a complaint to the advertising standards, as I feel many people will be stung by this.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Surprising,find Mick's garage great, and their customer care really good,went out of their way recently (including calls) for me

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Memory cards can become damaged very easily if you forget to format the card every two weeks

Is that unique to memory cards in dashcams?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dashcams can end up getting abruptly powered off every time the car turns off their batteries are poor, they're running on not particularly clean power and have other issues that make them more prone to data corruption than, say, the SD card in a camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

coylemj wrote:
    Is that unique to memory cards in dashcams?

I can't answer that for certain but I have never had to format a memory card in a tablet or smartphone. My dash cam instructions state that I must format every two weeks. I have never seen this on any other product before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I'd read that as axa offering 10% discount if you have a dash cam.

Similar to alarm companies saying get discounts with monitored alarm.

I'm not a fan of micks garage, but I can't see anything wrong with this is axa have a policy of providing a discount to people who have dashcams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

I can't answer that for certain but I have never had to format a memory card in a tablet or smartphone. My dash cam instructions state that I must format every two weeks. I have never seen this on any other product before

Which dash am do you use?
    I am using a nextbase for about three years now and only had one faulty 32Gb sd card that failed in the first couple of weeks. Never have to reformat and check check operation every 5/6 weeks.
    Apart from the nuisance factor of reformat, I don’t suppose it does any harm if it handled correctly.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I'd read that as axa offering 10% discount if you have a dash cam.

Similar to alarm companies saying get discounts with monitored alarm.

I'm not a fan of micks garage, but I can't see anything wrong with this is axa have a policy of providing a discount to people who have dashcams

After further talks with Micks Garage they stated the email was sent out in error and that it was a draft email that was for an upcoming promotion where as you would get 10% off your current AXA policy if you purchased a NextBase dashcam.

Also the email is clear, there are two paragraphs of text:

Buy a NextBase Dashcam and save 10% off your car insurance with AXA.

Then below:

PLUS! Save 10% off NextBase Dashcams on Micksgarage.com

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

L1011 wrote: »
    Dashcams can end up getting abruptly powered off every time the car turns off their batteries are poor, they're running on not particularly clean power and have other issues that make them more prone to data corruption than, say, the SD card in a camera.

What L1011 says makes sense in that it explains how the memory card could get corrupted from time to time thanks to an abrupt loss of power to the device. But if the card is not corrupt, you will achieve nothing by formatting it. Doing it to a schedule like every two weeks makes no sense whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Cerco wrote:
    Which dash am do you use? I am using a nextbase for about three years now and only had one faulty 32Gb sd card that failed in the first couple of weeks. Never have to reformat and check check operation every 5/6 weeks. Apart from the nuisance factor of reformat, I don’t suppose it does any harm if it handled correctly.

Never had to format my dash cam memory card either but I have read that high endurance cards should be used on devices such as dash cam which are constantly recording and overwriting files.

So it could well be that the life time of a card in a dash cam is heavily affected and last thing you want is it to go bad in case of an accident.

Advertisement