Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wisdom Teeth Removal

• 28-09-2018 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Just wanted to know if anyone's had experience with getting wisdom teeth removed in Limerick, how much it cost and how it went especially for staying awake for it.

Thanks for any help given.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I had three wisdom teeth removed (in Limerick) under local anaesthetic at various times.

But I was lucky as the teeth had erupted. The dentist has now retired but I was lucky in that I recovered almost as quickly as I did after normal extractions.

But each person is different. And each dentist is different. You really need to speak with a professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Bicycle wrote: »
    But each person is different. And each dentist is different. You really need to speak with a professional.
    I have done. They suggested Riverfront and it's over e300 a tooth to stay awake for it. Just wanting to hear from people who had it done themselves lately, I dunno many people who had it done or if they did it was 20 years ago.
    jacksie66 wrote: »
    Back in 2013 I had all 4 removed in Barringtons Hospital. I asked them to knock me out. Cost me €1500 but was well worth it..
    It's so expensive, was told about €2000 but maybe it's that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Ask on the dental forum as well. A good few of the people who post are dentists.

Yes, I got mine done a long time ago. 15 - 20 years ago. But the teeth had come up normally - well normalish. One was at an angle. The only issue was that I had long roots. And in one case the roots broke as the tooth was coming out. Which was a bit stressful for both the dentist and myself ;)

If it costs €300 per tooth under local anaesthetic, then the €2,000 while a lot of money, isn't out of place. 4 teeth would cost €1,200 under local anaesthetic. And you would need to have them out at different times. And have all those recovery times.

Also, remember, you should be able to claim tax relief against the €2,000 as it would be considered a medical rather than a dental expense. At 20% relief, that brings the net cost back to €1,600.

Ask on the dental forum as well. A good few of the people who post are dentists.

Yes, I got mine done a long time ago. 15 - 20 years ago. But the teeth had come up normally - well normalish. One was at an angle. The only issue was that I had long roots. And in one case the roots broke as the tooth was coming out. Which was a bit stressful for both the dentist and myself ;)

If it costs €300 per tooth under local anaesthetic, then the €2,000 while a lot of money, isn't out of place. 4 teeth would cost €1,200 under local anaesthetic. And you would need to have them out at different times. And have all those recovery times.

Also, remember, you should be able to claim tax relief against the €2,000 as it would be considered a medical rather than a dental expense. At 20% relief, that brings the net cost back to €1,600.
    I'm lucky one I could get out at the dentist so it's only 3, it's mostly the bottom 2 giving the most trouble and flairing so they're encouraging me to go for it asap.

Thanks for that! I'll give them an ask too, like thats something I didn't know was on boards so it was worth asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I had 2 upper wisdom teeth removed in Shields Dental last year.
    Had local anaesthetic and a he came back a few minutes to check.
    Then disappeared and came back @10 minutes later. I thought he was back to do the extractions, turns out he had already removed them and was checking the socket and clot.

Honestly, he removed both and I never even knew it was done.
    If memory serves the cost was @400 but not certain on that as I have dental cover that covered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

I had one done in Alexandra a few months ago, it cost €100. Highly recommended.

Thanks again for the replies everyone!
    I had one done in Alexandra a few months ago, it cost €100. Highly recommended.
    Had you cover? Did pay for consultation too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I know it's a Limerick thread but just posting about the dental procedure.
    Overall for me, it was very easy and I guess in the hands of a good dentist you’ve nothing to worry about.

My upper wisdom teeth were fully errupted but crooked and kept biting my cheek. My normal dentist in Cork removed one. Tons of local anesthetic and the actual extraction took about 3 seconds. I was shocked it was so simple.

He even put topical anesthetic on the gum before he started. So I literally felt nothing. Not even a needle.

He had done a panoramic x-ray ages ago which showed the roots in huge detail, so it was clear there was no risk or complications.

I was only charged €90 for the tooth and more for the x-ray ages ago but that wasn't part of this procedure it was just on file.

I just had to bite on a gauze pad for 20 mins. Went home and bit on a second one for another 20 mins.

No significant bleeding, no pain really at all the following day and took no pain killers or anything.

Antibiotic prescription only to be filled in event of emergency and instructions to rinse with salt water but only beginning 24h after and to avoid doing anything they might dislodge the clot.

I guess I was very lucky with the anatomy and also be seemed to have very good technique. Just no fuss at all and not very expensive.

If the second one is going to be that simple, I'll definitely be getting it sorted as soon as this one is healed up.

Everyone's different though and I guess it's as complicated as your tooth anatomy.

Thanks again for the replies everyone!

Had you cover? Did pay for consultation too?

No, no cover. It was 100 all in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I had 2 removed with Mr. Gilbride in Barringtons. I had a broken tooth removed at the same time under general anesthetic. It was covered under my health insurance but the bill was around €1500 all in.

Thanks for that post EdgeCase. I feel better everyone is having a giod experience of getting them out.
    That's really good! I'll have to say that to my dentist, I'll give them an email

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Would that tax relief only be for people with private health insurance?

Arrival wrote: »
    Would that tax relief only be for people with private health insurance?

No, it's for people who pay tax

Was yours below the gum if you don't mind me asking? Hoping to get in for a consultation soon, we've had a chat through emails and spoke to my dentist so hopefully itll be good

No, fully grown. Alexandra's fees are here - http://www.alexandradental.ie/fee-guide/ - presumably one that hasn't come up yet is listed as a Surgical Extraction...

A bit of an update on mine. Absolutely no problems even though it's only a few days ago. The only slightly unpleasant aspect is the big huge 'hole' that is the tooth socket. I think they heal up by the socket kind of lining itself and then eventually filing out. So you are left with a bit of a weird hole there for a while.

Apparently the timeline is about a few days to be 'sealed up' and then about 6 weeks or so for the gum to fill out with soft tissue and then bone fills and entirely closes the socket up after about 6 months or so (but you don't notice that as it's an invisible process).

I'd say it will be a while before I start eating things like nuts again as they seem ideally sized to go straight into the tooth socket!

Thanks again everyone for the posts, it's great.
    EdgeCase wrote: »
    A bit of an update on mine. Absolutely no problems even though it's only a few days ago. The only slightly unpleasant aspect is the big huge 'hole' that is the tooth socket. I think they heal up by the socket kind of lining itself and then eventually filing out. So you are left with a bit of a weird hole there for a while.

Apparently the timeline is about a few days to be 'sealed up' and then about 6 weeks or so for the gum to fill out with soft tissue and then bone fills and entirely closes the socket up after about 6 months or so (but you don't notice that as it's an invisible process).

I'd say it will be a while before I start eating things like nuts again as they seem ideally sized to go straight into the tooth socket!
    On goody for a bit then? Lol I'd the same myself avoiding stuff like that. Thanks so much for the post, are you on antibiotic / painkillers?
    No, fully grown. Alexandra's fees are here - http://www.alexandradental.ie/fee-guide/ - presumably one that hasn't come up yet is listed as a Surgical Extraction...
    Mine are mostly under but they'll have a look, just waiting to see when they're free and they'll xray me, might be able to get iv sedation.
    Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Get a second opinion or quote with Alexandria before you decide would be my advice. PM as to why if you want but I was once a patient and wouldn't go back.

On goody for a bit then? Lol I'd the same myself avoiding stuff like that. Thanks so much for the post, are you on antibiotic / painkillers?
    !

Nope! Nothing. Had no pain at all after it. No swelling. No infections. I mean I was aware of the fact that it was gone but it's been absolutely fine.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for all the replies again.

So update, went to Alexandra Dental for an xray and they're in such an awkward position they're higher risk of nerve / sinus issues so they recommended the same as my own dentist lol ah well.
    Staff are so nice up there, couldn't have done more for me really, they may be getting a surgeon in future.

Got an app for 2 weeks time with maxifacial surgeon so hopefully it'll go well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Get a second opinion or quote with Alexandria before you decide would be my advice. PM as to why if you want but I was once a patient and wouldn't go back.

Surprised to hear this. Have been going to Alexandra for years and couldn't speak more highly about them.

Anyways hope you get sorted with the surgeon Touch fuzzy!

Advertisement