Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connolly or O'Connell Station

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Except one of them is Scottish.

Born in scotland to Irish parents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I'm hoping to have a railway station named after me.
    Theres a station in Brussels called Kunts Wet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

No one is seriously going to argue that it is better to have their infrastructure named after an insurance companies or terrorists, when they already have perfectly good names from the titled nobility like Lansdowne and Amiens.

What's so great about titled nobility?

I'm fascinated with your craven desires for undemocratic vermin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What's so great about titled nobility?

I'm fascinated with your craven desires for undemocratic vermin.

What specifically did Viscount Amiens do to be regarded by you as 'vermin'?

Phoebas wrote: »
    What specifically did Viscount Amiens do to be regarded by you as 'vermin'?

People like that held their positions of power and privilege through terrorism.

Surprised that still needs explaining in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Edgware wrote: »
    Theres a station in Brussels called Kunts Wet

That would be so funny if it was spelt that way.

Kunst Wet.

Close but no cigar. :D

Except one of them is Scottish.

More nonsense; one of them is clearly a singer from Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Clarke. Kent. That is two railway stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Clarke. Kent. That is two railway stations.

Whats Superman got to do with railway stations ?

• Advertisement

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Whats Superman got to do with railway stations ?

He has two names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

You mean those of you who still saunter down Sackville Street and get your jollies at the harbour in Kingstown?

Not really. O'Connell Street lots a lot of its allure for me with the closure of the ballrooms, and the loss of the pillar was a clear turning point in the streets fortunes.
    Previously, a true focus of the city for leisure, entertainment, shopping, and an integral part of the life of the city. Since that fateful night, its decline has been continuous. I hardly go there at all any more if I can avoid it, and gather from the young in general, that they wouldnt go there if paid.
    Its early yet, but the moment will come where rebuilding the column can be a symbol both of a renewal of the street's fortunes and reconfiguring as a genuine attractive part of the city, and, of our restored link and self confident relationship with or as part of the UK.
    And indeed, restoration of the use of the name Sackville Street could be a nice part of that.

People like that held their positions of power and privilege through terrorism.

'People like that' or Viscount Amiens specifically?
    Or is this just a broad brush 'anyone connected to the aristocracy is vermin/terrorist' thing?

Or is this just a broad brush 'anyone connected to the aristocracy is vermin/terrorist' thing?

The man made some deadly biscuits in his time in fairness.

Iain-Lee-Minty-Biscuit-Blue-Badge-Holder.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Not really. O'Connell Street lots a lot of its allure for me with the closure of the ballrooms, and the loss of the pillar was a clear turning point in the streets fortunes. .

Did you court Peggy Duignan by any chance? Tough break when that student chap took her off to Birmingham and took away your soul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

You mean those of you who still saunter down Sackville Street and get your jollies at the harbour in Kingstown?

It's Connolly station... Simples.
    Leave David Norris out of it. He used like walking in Kingstown with Nanny and home for pudding (on a Sunday only of course)

More of a sashay, I liked to think in my case. But yes, it was a fine street in its day, whatever one called it. Hard to believe when you see its sad state today. Downhill since '66 unfortunately.

How do you think they maintained their positions of power?

Well, that didn't answer my question at all. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭indioblack

Railway stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Still Amiens Street Station to those of us who havent got caught up in this drive for republican hero worship propaganda schtick.

Marylou has her office directly across the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I am one of few people these days who say railway station instead of train station. Train station is a usage which was not around when I was younger.

Ah no They are DART stations ;-)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Ah no They are DART* stations ;-)

*pronounced DORT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

How does one become a member of the aristocracy, fixing potholes and the like?
    It's a shame how some people look at people who merely put themselves above all others based on birthright and whose family obtained said status by murder, butchery and thievery ;)
    If you're a member of the aristocracy your predecessors were thieving scum and you are living off that. All the Hello magazine covers in the world can't hide that.

It's a shame how some people look at people who merely put themselves above all others based on birthright and whose family obtained said status by murder, butchery and thievery ;)
    If you're a member of the aristocracy your predecessors were thieving scum and you are living off that. All the Hello magazine covers in the world can't hide that.

Your ancestors arrived here and took what they could get, no questions asked. If some stronger types came along later and took what they could get, it just shows your lot were not up to much.

Your ancestors arrived here and took what they could get, no questions asked. If some stronger types came along later and took what they could get, it just shows your lot were not up to much.

You're confusing people participating within society and maybe seeking work with murdering and thieving. Being the best scumbag shouldn't be admired or celebrated let alone given god like status.

Seems like it's impossible to get a straight answer to a straight question on this thread.

I was asking specifically about Viscount Amiens and why someone considered him to be 'vermin' etc

Seems like it's impossible to get a straight answer to a straight question on this thread.

I was asking specifically about Viscount Amiens and why someone considered him to be 'vermin' etc

Actually I answered your post:

They are all profiting from thievery butchery and scumbaggery. The idea that they should be admired is simply gross. For clarification, although Amien might have been a lovely bloke he had the luxuries afforded to one profiting from thievery, butchery and scumbaggery. If he had given up his title and all inherited monies to charity then maybe he'd get a pass.
    The title of "Viscount Amiens" was apparently adapted on the strength of a fictitious pedigree detailing Stratford's descent from a companion of William the Conqueror originating in Amiens

Quality :rolleyes:

Actually I answered your post:

No you didn't.

You're just making broad generalisations about a group of people, but nothing specific about Viscount Amiens.

Can you point to something specific that Amiens was responsible for that marks him as vermin / a terrorist / a scumbag / a thief / a butcher ?

No you didn't.

You're just making broad generalisations about a group of people, but nothing specific about Viscount Amiens.

Can you point to something specific that Amiens was responsible for that marks him as vermin / a terrorist / a scumbag / a thief / a butcher ?

He cannot. I think you will find that Viscount Amiens was the nicest, sweetest, kindest, most like-a-bunch-of-little-kittens-in-a-basket type man of all time.

Once our streets and landmarks are named after great men such as he, they deserve to have them keep such names in perpetuity. Renaming them is an affront.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I had always assumed Amiens Street was named for the WWI battle (like Waterloo Road)

Every day is a school day.

Advertisement