Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you still plant fruit trees?

Options
  • 28-09-2018 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Would you still plant fruit trees? I got a cherry tree as a gift and I'm not sure if it's better to plant it out now or to overwinter in its pot and plant in the spring. I don't want to lose it. Opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

No harm whatsoever in planting it now if it's in a pot. Usual rules apply, stake sensibly and water sensibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Is it inside or outside?

A plant outside in a pot can be effected more by the cold than one in the ground where the frost does not reach the deeper roots. The main thing to avoid is a rapid change from warm environment to cold one. If it has been acclimatised to being outdoors planting in the ground should be fine. There is some residual heat in the ground still so that should help the roots settle in their new place. My aunt swears by always putting a bucket of hot water in the ground before planting to help the plant settle in but not tried this myself. Make sure to provide good support so it's not rocked by winter winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I planted mine mid December last year & it's thriving even through 3 dumpings of snow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The soil temp is about 12 degrees right now so it'll be grand.

Advertisement