Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pectin enzyme

Options
  • 28-09-2018 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I have followed a blackberry and apple wine recipe but I didn't have the pectin enzyme,
    so I went ahead and added the yeast.

Is my wine ruined before I start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

damokaa wrote: »
    Hi I have followed a blackberry and apple wine recipe but I didn't have the pectin enzyme,
    so I went ahead and added the yeast.

Is my wine ruined before I start?

Isn't pectin only required for jam? Don't think it'll make any difference to your wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 damokaa

All the recipes i found for home brew wine required pectin enzyme.

but this is good to hear.

I hope you are a seasoned pro at the home brew and know what your talking about.

Cheers anyhow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

It's pectic enzyme aka pectolase your recipes refer to - used to destroy pectin in your brews. Some fruits are high in pectin eg apples and blackberries. I never used to use pectolase but once had a batch of sloe wine that had a pectin haze and so used pectolase later in the wine making process than you are supposed to but it successfully cleared it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

All the recipes i found for home brew wine required pectin enzyme.

but this is good to hear.

I hope you are a seasoned pro at the home brew and know what your talking about.

Cheers anyhow!!!

Not quiet the pro but I have made various hedgerow wines. As noted above it's Pectolase which I have used in some batches but not all. Can't say I've ever noticed a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 damokaa

Hi Hillybilly4cheers, for the info.

How long before the pectine haze formed?

How long until you added the pectolase to the batch of sloe wine, which worked?

Damien

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

Hi Hillybilly4cheers, for the info.

How long before the pectine haze formed?

How long until you added the pectolase to the batch of sloe wine, which worked?

Damien

It was several weeks when I noticed it and and months before I did anything about it - was hoping it would clear by itself. It didn't. I'd racked it a couple of times, it was still in a demijohn. I seem to recall that the treatment involved taking some of the wine, warming it gently, adding the pectolase and then returning it to the demijohn. Anyway, it worked a treat within days!

Advertisement