Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gameweek 7 Matchday Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

47 ... unhewt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I've dropped from 54k to 82k but that doesn't include the 8pts from Begovic and Bennett. I'll probably sit somewhere in between that I'd say. Most annoying thing is the amount of people who actually brought in Kane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Back into the mid 40s again,nothing going right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

84(-4)
    Bench boost
    Up to 27k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,283 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

69 (No hits) My biggest score of the season. Up to 2,552k. Only way is up Eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Down 12K to 65K overall. So annoyed with Fraser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

48 leads to a pretty significant red arrow. Down to 66k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

First red sees me fall 7k to 32k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

57 means I drop from 115k to 121k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭claw

52 with 7 from Zaha and Fraser. First GW rank below 2 million.

• Advertisement

I came into this season with two recent too 6k overall finishes.

I’m generally a trigger happy, hit taking, manager so I forced myself to be conservative this year in the hope that would push me closer to the top 1k.

It’s not working out. Both examples of what I would have done in the past have bitten me this season. Not taking in Hazard or Kane when I wanted to has hurt.

44 this week sees me drop from 7k to 29k.

Don’t know what to do. Go aggressive, which is in my nature, or stay conservative and see where I am at the end of the season.

7 GW’s maybe isn’t enough time to judge whether my new approach is right or wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Sounds like you'll melt your head if you don't go back to your old ways. Has there been any examples this season of moves you would have made in previous seasons but didn't.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Sounds like you'll melt your head if you don't go back to your old ways. Has there been any examples this season of moves you would have made in previous seasons but didn't.

I don’t chase the risers but early on I will move out fallers before I loose value.

The two I already outlined. I would have brought in Hazard against Cardiff and Kane before Huddersfield.

But I didn’t because I’m trying to take a more patient approach that will limit and even cut out hits.

Edit - an even better example is Mendy. In previous seasons I would have cashed in and worried about it later and replaced him with Doherty or Holebas. I’ve learned that sometimes injuries that were meant to be a week could run into 3-4 weeks. But I didn’t this season as I know I’ll want him as soon as he’s available.

I used to see guys carrying an injured player for 3,4 or 5 weeks and think they were mad. Now that’s me.

Sorry, I meant to add ".... and would have backfired" to my above question but sounds like you're record is 2 for 2. If they are the only 2 hits you were thinking of taking I'd be very tempted to revert back to the previous strategy.

I'm not one for taking hits but if my instincts/predictions were continually proven to be right I would have to re-evaluate that strategy.

Edit: being passive can be a strategy in itself whereas other times it's just being risk adverse/lazy. i like to think i'm more in the former camp.

why don't you track the changes you'd have made last season and after another 2/3 gameweek see if they would have worked out for you. i would do it in a formal way as opposed to just looking back on all the thoughts you had during the run up to a gameweek and retrospectively cherry picking all the successful ones

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

53 and a drop to 400k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭boccy23

75 and now inside the top 10K.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

54 gives me my forth red arrow in a row, down to 51k. Definitely wildcarding over the international break, need to stop the rot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Small green arrow from 16k to 15k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Ended up with a 700k rise from 870k to 170k. 99pts. 2k GW rank.

Season can turn around pretty fast at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I don’t chase the risers but early on I will move out fallers before I loose value.

The two I already outlined. I would have brought in Hazard against Cardiff and Kane before Huddersfield.

But I didn’t because I’m trying to take a more patient approach that will limit and even cut out hits.

Edit - an even better example is Mendy. In previous seasons I would have cashed in and worried about it later and replaced him with Doherty or Holebas. I’ve learned that sometimes injuries that were meant to be a week could run into 3-4 weeks. But I didn’t this season as I know I’ll want him as soon as he’s available.

I used to see guys carrying an injured player for 3,4 or 5 weeks and think they were mad. Now that’s me.

When or why did you buy into the myth that hits are by definition bad?

Play your game man.

In my experience very often it's the hits you don't take that cost you the most points. As long as they are considered moves, not short term punts, but moves which do have a good chance of short term return and improve your team medium term then they are an integral tool of playing fpl.

Sounds like you had "got" hits and were using them generally pretty well. Why change?

• Advertisement

FHFC wrote: »
    When or why did you buy into the myth that hits are by definition bad?

Play your game man.

In my experience very often it's the hits you don't take that cost you the most points. As long as they are considered moves, not short term punts, but moves which do have a good chance of short term return and improve your team medium term then they are an integral tool of playing fpl.

Sounds like you had "got" hits and were using them generally pretty well. Why change?

That’s all true.

Think I’ll revert to aggressive.

In that case I would have done the Hazard move pre Cardiff and wouldn’t have done the Kane move pre Huddersfield as it would have been too short term.

That said, I would sometimes make moves knowing I’d have to react within 2-3 weeks and sort it then.

I doubt anyone watches as many games as me so when I do need to make a decision I know, almost straight away, who I want to bring in.

That’s all true.

Think I’ll revert to aggressive.

In that case I would have done the Hazard move pre Cardiff and wouldn’t have done the Kane move pre Huddersfield as it would have been too short term.

That said, I would sometimes make moves knowing I’d have to react within 2-3 weeks and sort it then.

I doubt anyone watches as many games as me so when I do need to make a decision I know, almost straight away, who I want to bring in.

What's your team ID. A rank of 29K after 7 gameweeks is very early to say an approach isn't working. In fact that sort of rank would generally mean you are well placed for a high finish at season end. Even though good managers are performing well this season, I would wager that a decent number above you will have played at least one chip. Have you played many?

When you finished inside top 6K for the two seasons, can you remember how the seasons went in terms of OR? Did you stay in or around top 6K for most of the season or push on toward the end for a high finish?

I'm not saying agression is bad or indeed hits are bad. There is a definite balance to be found though.

KevIRL wrote: »
    What's your team ID. A rank of 29K after 7 gameweeks is very early to say an approach isn't working. In fact that sort of rank would generally mean you are well placed for a high finish at season end. Even though good managers are performing well this season, I would wager that a decent number above you will have played at least one chip. Have you played many?

When you finished inside top 6K for the two seasons, can you remember how the seasons went in terms of OR? Did you stay in or around top 6K for most of the season or push on toward the end for a high finish?

I'm not saying agression is bad or indeed hits are bad. There is a definite balance to be found though.

My memory is that I always finished strong. I don’t know how people can finish so high without watching games. I watch as much as possible.

My first season I was traveling round Asia for 7 months so I don’t really count that one as it took all my efforts just to see Liverpool games and last season my sibling got ill and passsd away so my head nor heart was in it. Although FPL was a welcome distraction at times.

I’ve used my WC already. I had 2 FT’s and made moves to protect team value but did it under the influence and messed it up so I used WC to fix it.

A new feeling this season is going into games worrying about not having players. I don’t remember that so much in the past.

I was worried about Hazard v Cardiff and Kane for these 2 games. In previous years I definitely would have had those players.

Sitting on Mendy stopped me getting either of those in. No way that would have happened previously.

Also there a lot less fun in the patient approach but that said I’m not overly annoyed with myself when it goes against me because at least it’s a strategy I’m sticking with so I can blame the strategy and not myself.

Team ID is 1151

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

75 brought a gameweek rise of over 500 places to 304. Missing out on a Manager of the Month prize because of PVA's goal the only downside to a great week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,427 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

My memory is that I always finished strong. I don’t know how people can finish so high without watching games. I watch as much as possible.

My first season I was traveling round Asia for 7 months so I don’t really count that one as it took all my efforts just to see Liverpool games and last season my sibling got ill and passsd away so my head nor heart was in it. Although FPL was a welcome distraction at times.

I’ve used my WC already. I had 2 FT’s and made moves to protect team value but did it under the influence and messed it up so I used WC to fix it.

A new feeling this season is going into games worrying about not having players. I don’t remember that so much in the past.

I was worried about Hazard v Cardiff and Kane for these 2 games. In previous years I definitely would have had those players.

Sitting on Mendy stopped me getting either of those in. No way that would have happened previously.

Also there a lot less fun in the patient approach but that said I’m not overly annoyed with myself when it goes against me because at least it’s a strategy I’m sticking with so I can blame the strategy and not myself.

Team ID is 1151
    Sorry to hear about ur sibling

Ur in a couple of leagues with me, leading them, we were in that draft last year, so I keep an eye on ur team. I couldn’t believe u kept Mendy, I was delighted. Someone at the club had asked him to move out of the city centre FFS, he’ll be a while getting back into Peps good books.

On Kane, I’ve brought him in for this one week, literally a one week punt, he’ll be gone for Salah after that, what’s that game about if ur watching from behind the couch?

Ur also blinded by Liverpool

But then I watch zero soccer, I saw maybe 30 minutes of the Chelsea match at the weekend while I was out for dinner, so What do I know

Sorry for your loss klopparama, I've gone through similar and would not wish it upon anyone.

RE: "I don’t know how people can finish so high without watching games"

Not watching any games and simply using detailed stats as a way of informing oneself is also a perfectly viable strategy. I find a healthy balance of both is best.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss klopparama, I've gone through similar and would not wish it upon anyone.

RE: "I don’t know how people can finish so high without watching games"

Not watching any games and simply using detailed stats as a way of informing oneself is also a perfectly viable strategy. I find a healthy balance of both is best.

I some people do well using stats but I’m poor at reading them and worse at finding them.

I like the eye test.

Green&Red wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about ur sibling

Ur in a couple of leagues with me, leading them, we were in that draft last year, so I keep an eye on ur team. I couldn’t believe u kept Mendy, I was delighted. Someone at the club had asked him to move out of the city centre FFS, he’ll be a while getting back into Peps good books.

On Kane, I’ve brought him in for this one week, literally a one week punt, he’ll be gone for Salah after that, what’s that game about if ur watching from behind the couch?

Ur also blinded by Liverpool

But then I watch zero soccer, I saw maybe 30 minutes of the Chelsea match at the weekend while I was out for dinner, so What do I know

Yeah. My new strategy meant I kept Mendy. Hopefully a mistake that doesn’t punish me too much.

I’m definitely not blinded by Liverpool though.

I don’t let any allegiances meddle with my FPL team.

Team ID is 1151

Jaysis, sorry for your loss, puts FPL into perspective.

There definitely is more worry this season as a lot of the high end players are delivering points and its impossible to have all of them. In other seasons the likes of Kane, Suarez, Salah were that far ahead of the rest that the set and forget captaincy worked a treat. I still think patient approach is best with some aggression factored in. For example I did get Hazard in for the Bournemouth game and also got rid of Mendy for Trippier two weeks ago. However I was more patient when it came to captaincy and missed the Aguero and Hazard hat tricks as capt even though I had them in my team. I also considered getting Kane in last week for Salah but decided against it. Not doing the move now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I think I can safely say that PVA salvaged what would have been an atrocious week.

That goal and assist from Zaha plus a combined 4 bonus left me on 56 for the week and only an 8k drop to 196k.

Need to kick on again soon though, might crack open the WC soon, could do with FHFC's magic touch :)

Advertisement