Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir promised to remove my data cap. Instead I've been disconnected since Wednesday.

• 29-09-2018 10:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Long story here but I might as well tell the full tale. On wedWednes morning I woke up to a lovely charge on my bill for an additional 80 euro. I read I had exceeded the fair usage data cap. To start I'd like to clarify i typically use 500/600 a month so how I managaed to over double that to 1.4tb is beyond me. I notice a number of other users on this forum and others had a similar issue in the month of august. After calling through to the same customecustomer service rep twice I was informed both times it was a valid charge and I would have to pay it. I asked questions about the cap and I was told it was to stop over use cases like mine. 

The second call back was from me to point out that the data cap had been removed from 25/7 onwards. The same rep delighted in telling me it was for new customers only and I would need to either eat an early cancellation charge or upgrade my service to have the cap removed and that I would still have to pay the 80 euro. Out of spite at this point I started to look into alternative broadband options. I was going to eat the charge just to get as far away from this ****ty company as I could. 

However after reading a number of posts online and talkintalking to eir on twitter I was assured the data cap could be removed. I braved the 40 minute wait on customer service again and actually got through to someone competant this time.

This rep told me he couldnt understand the attitude of the previous reps as removing the charge was a straight forward case as it was a first time offense and she should have known that. He also clarified it is possible to remove the cap by simply downgrading out service for 24 hours to a 30mb line then moving us back on to the 150mb line with no disruption on service ( albiet a slower line for 24 hours)

Unfortunately i got off the phone to find the broadband was completely disconnected. I rang straight back (4th time that day and another 25 minute wait) to be told that it would take 24 hours for the order to be processed. 

So defeated I sat back and twiddled my thumbs for 24 hours and waited for my broadband to return.

As you can tell by me posting this on a Saturday morning things have not gone well for me. 

I got home on Thursday at 5 after being assured it would return and i would be given call back when it did. No call  and no broadband. I called the call centre and was told it was closed.

Roll on Friday morning 9 o clock and I'm being told by the 4th rep so far that these things can actually take 48 hours. He them went on to insist it was a 30gb line I was on (if only) and that it's showing as active. To add insult to injury after I convinced him that I didn't have internet he told me I wouldnt until my 30gb line was processed at which point they would begin the process of moving me back to the 150mb line. Oh and he casually mentioned I would still have the data cap as it's a fair usage policy and it cant be removed. I actually had to then explain the entire process to the eir rep who looked into it and told me the cap would be removed but I would need to wait the full 48 hours. 

After the call I missed a return call from the rep, rang back eir support and got through to my 5th rep. At this stage he dropped the bomb that the entire thing had been done wrong and he needed to cancel the whole order and restart it. He told me it would be anotanother 24 hours from then. 

Obviously I was pretty unhappy but what could be done. I trusted the rep who told me if there was any issues i could call him back today and ask fofor him. He neglected tto give me his mobile number however and given the call centre is closed today I don't know how he planned fof me to reach him. 

Now heres the real kicker. The first rep from that morning ( who's call I missed) rang me back 15 minutes after this conversation to tell me he'd done it my brobroadband was fixed and it was all sorted. I explained the conversation I had just had and he assured me that the oorder thankfully didn't ttake 24 hours and it was all sorted. 

Love and behold I got back yesterday and no broadband. 

So that's where eir customer service has gotten me. From on incompetent staff member to another I've been jerked around anand had my time wasted all week. I still have 80 euro extra on my bill ( don't worry ive been ASSURED that it's been removed ) I still have no broadband and staff seem to vary from ccompletely ignorant of eirs own policies ( or worse purposefully vindictive against your own customers) or are didirectly lying to me ( telling me to call back today)

Oh and one last snippet. Why bother with a chat service if after 20 minutes they tell you to call 1901 anyway ? Save yourself some money eir and ditch the chat service. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's stories like that which make me feel very stupid for returning to Eir for FTTH, I was waiting on Vodafone to provide the service over OpenEir but they were taking too long. I should have gone with any other provider. Everything is fine so far but I know if I ever have to contact customer support I'm screwed. 11 months left on contract and I'm moving then.

What happened to you is in some ways similar to what happened to me back in 2015.
    My house had been with Telecom Eireann/Eircom/Eir since the 90s. I was experiencing contention on my ADSL between 5pm and 11pm
    I contacted them and they sent someone out to test my line, obviously it wasn't the line since it only happened in the evening.
    So I contacted them a few more times and was told they would run tests. 
    A few days later I lose phone and broadband service. When I rang Eir I was told there is no record of anyone with my name or anyone at my address ever having and account with them but if I wanted to sign up as a new customer I could.
    There was no way I was signing a 12 months contact with a company who had just deleted all record of my account.

After ringing 1901 many times I eventually came on here and was sorted very quickly. I think his name was Martin and he would ring me with updates exactly when he said he would and I got a 3 month refund as compensation. 
    Martin does not work on this forum anymore, he was the only one that had the power and initiative to actually resolve problems.

Expect a message from one of the current staff saying how sorry they are and asking for your account number. Don't expect a call from them or any contact to keep you updated on what's happening. They no longer do such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Gaelmart

I paid to  get out last year. €200 I think.
    Would have cost me €700 if I stayed to  end of contract on over usage charges. 

They do  not give you a way to  calculate  over usage. They  THINK they do with the useless graph but as it does not line up with your bill, its pointless.

What a stupid way to  run a company. They miss out on €50 a month for the next 20 years say because they insist on charging me €100 for been over usage by 5%. 

Sky have no Overuse/unlimited crap and are great to  deal with.

Gaelmart wrote: »
    Sky have no Overuse/unlimited crap and are great to  deal with.
    Sky are still not an option for fibre to the home 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

I take it when you ring 1901 you are dealing with that outsourced cs unit??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

Hey so a little update and I'll respond to some comments,

I'm in a fairly rural location so my options are limited. Sky is moving into the area but not quite reached our house yet. It will be a while before virgin gets here as well.

In fairness to the support reps it's been a mix of foreign and Irish.

With no fairness to them at all ...foreign and Irish have been pretty useless.

So to make matters worse eir Twitter have just informed me there's no need to downgrade/upgrade anything...the data cap can be just removed. Got no help there other than being told the customer care team will look after me....

• Advertisement

Is the outsourced the one where when you finally get through they are not at their desk and all you hear is people chatting in the background and when they finally get to their desk the phone quality is too low to understand them?
    It's 50/50 whether I get that one or not.

sierra117x wrote: »
    So to make matters worse eir Twitter have just informed me there's no need to downgrade/upgrade anything...the data cap can be just removed. Got no help there other than being told the customer care team will look after me....
    But that's not true unless Eir brief their staff on it, it does not count. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

What a mess ,

hope you get it sorted .

How many different ways of removing the cap are eir going to come up with ?

First it was move package , then it was add eir tv or a mobile phone  , then it was temporarily downgrade your package (worked for me ) and now an eir rep is saying that the cap can just simply be removed ?

Madness .

How come Airwire could just magically remove the cap for all existing customers at the same time ?

Bumping since it's Monday and the eir reps can see it now.

Fyi I am on the phone to support (32 minutes and counting) who helpfully told me I actually DO have internet before putting me on hold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Bumping since it's Monday and the eir reps can see it now.

Fyi I am on the phone to  support (32 minutes and counting) who helpfully told me I actually DO have internet before putting me on hold
    i rang this morning about my fup and got it removed no problem.woman was actually very nice.i recoreded the call myself just to make sure they dont f it up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Long story here but I might as well tell the full tale. On wedWednes morning I woke up to a lovely charge on my bill for an additional 80 euro. I read I had exceeded the fair usage data cap. To start I'd like to clarify i typically use 500/600 a month so how I managaed to over double that to 1.4tb is beyond me. I notice a number of other users on this forum and others had a similar issue in the month of august. After calling through to the same customecustomer service rep twice I was informed both times it was a valid charge and I would have to pay it. I asked questions about the cap and I was told it was to stop over use cases like mine. 

The second call back was from me to point out that the data cap had been removed from 25/7 onwards. The same rep delighted in telling me it was for new customers only and I would need to either eat an early cancellation charge or upgrade my service to have the cap removed and that I would still have to pay the 80 euro. Out of spite at this point I started to look into alternative broadband options. I was going to eat the charge just to get as far away from this ****ty company as I could. 

However after reading a number of posts online and talkintalking to eir on twitter I was assured the data cap could be removed. I braved the 40 minute wait on customer service again and actually got through to someone competant this time.

This rep told me he couldnt understand the attitude of the previous reps as removing the charge was a straight forward case as it was a first time offense and she should have known that. He also clarified it is possible to remove the cap by simply downgrading out service for 24 hours to a 30mb line then moving us back on to the 150mb line with no disruption on service ( albiet a slower line for 24 hours)

Unfortunately i got off the phone to find the broadband was completely disconnected. I rang straight back (4th time that day and another 25 minute wait) to be told that it would take 24 hours for the order to be processed. 

So defeated I sat back and twiddled my thumbs for 24 hours and waited for my broadband to return.

As you can tell by me posting this on a Saturday morning things have not gone well for me. 

I got home on Thursday at 5 after being assured it would return and i would be given call back when it did. No call  and no broadband. I called the call centre and was told it was closed.

Roll on Friday morning 9 o clock and I'm being told by the 4th rep so far that these things can actually take 48 hours. He them went on to insist it was a 30gb line I was on (if only) and that it's showing as active. To add insult to injury after I convinced him that I didn't have internet he told me I wouldnt until my 30gb line was processed at which point they would begin the process of moving me back to the 150mb line. Oh and he casually mentioned I would still have the data cap as it's a fair usage policy and it cant be removed. I actually had to then explain the entire process to the eir rep who looked into it and told me the cap would be removed but I would need to wait the full 48 hours. 

After the call I missed a return call from the rep, rang back eir support and got through to my 5th rep. At this stage he dropped the bomb that the entire thing had been done wrong and he needed to cancel the whole order and restart it. He told me it would be anotanother 24 hours from then. 

Obviously I was pretty unhappy but what could be done. I trusted the rep who told me if there was any issues i could call him back today and ask fofor him. He neglected tto give me his mobile number however and given the call centre is closed today I don't know how he planned fof me to reach him. 

Now heres the real kicker. The first rep from that morning ( who's call I missed) rang me back 15 minutes after this conversation to tell me he'd done it my brobroadband was fixed and it was all sorted. I explained the conversation I had just had and he assured me that the oorder thankfully didn't ttake 24 hours and it was all sorted. 

Love and behold I got back yesterday and no broadband. 

So that's where eir customer service has gotten me. From on incompetent staff member to another I've been jerked around anand had my time wasted all week. I still have 80 euro extra on my bill ( don't worry ive been ASSURED that it's been removed ) I still have no broadband and staff seem to vary from ccompletely ignorant of eirs own policies ( or worse purposefully vindictive against your own customers) or are didirectly lying to me ( telling me to call back today)

Oh and one last snippet. Why bother with a chat service if after 20 minutes they tell you to call 1901 anyway ? Save yourself some money eir and ditch the chat service. 
    Hi sierra117x, 

I'm really sorry to hear about the ongoing issues you are having with ourselves. I understand this is frustrating. This is not the level of service we aim to provide, I'll be sure to pass this feedback on. 

Feel free to PM me your account number, full name on the account, email address and date of birth and I'll have a look into this and get clarity for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Hi Tracey.

I was on the phone twice today and have been given clarity on what's going on.

Long story short they moved me to a line that doesn't exist in my area. This caused an ongoing glitch which has not been resolved yet. At this point eirs take on the situation is to clean slate the entire thing. Our account is to be completely wiped and restarted. Eir are going to handle it so there won't be much to do on our end but wait.

It gets worse though. I have to wait at least 5 more working days( not counting today) plus we may need a technician to come out ( that's a day off work I need to take) to connect it all back up . Literally every day I've been told something new by eir so I'm a little dubious this will actually work out but for now I just have to sit and wait.

If you think you can actually do something to improve the situation by speeding the process along let me know and I'll pm you the details. Otherwise it's pointless.
    Hi sierra117x, 

I'm really sorry to hear about the ongoing issues you are having with ourselves. I understand this is frustrating. This is not the level of service we aim to provide, I'll be sure to pass this feedback on. 

Feel free to PM me your account number, full name on the account, email address and date of birth and I'll have a look into this and get clarity for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Hi Tracey.

I was on the phone twice today and have been given clarity on what's going on.

Long story short they moved me to a line that doesn't exist in my area. This caused an ongoing glitch which has not been resolved yet. At this point eirs take on the situation is to clean slate the entire thing. Our account is to be completely wiped and restarted. Eir are going to handle it so there won't be much to do on our end but wait.

It gets worse though. I have to wait at least 5 more working days( not counting today) plus we may need a technician to come out ( that's a day off work I need to take) to connect it all back up . Literally every day I've been told something new by eir so I'm a little dubious this will actually work out but for now I just have to sit and wait.

If you think you can actually do something to improve the situation by speeding the process along let me know and I'll pm you the details. Otherwise it's pointless.
    Hi sierra117x, 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    I will do my best to escalate this and see if I can get this processed faster for you. 

Feel free to PM me your account number, full name on the account, email address and date of birth and I'll have a look at this for you. 

Thanks

Tracey 

You would think nothing else could go wrong at this point...

Was informed by eir staff that we would have to do nothing and while technically the account is being cancelled and re-opened there will be nothing for us to do.

But I got a letter last night looking for the router to be returned. Hoping it's an automated thing and they won't really insist on it back since we arent really cancelling.

It's just a bit more hassle given I had taken time to customise the router and setup all my port forwarding etc.

Any update for me today Tracey?

You would think nothing else could go wrong at this point...

Was informed by eir staff that we would have to do nothing and while technically the account is being cancelled and re-opened there will be nothing for us to do.

But I got a letter last night looking for the router to be returned. Hoping it's an automated thing and they won't really insist on it back since we arent really cancelling.

It's just a bit more hassle given I had taken time to customise the router and setup all my port forwarding etc.

Any update for me today Tracey?
    This would be an automatic letter that was sent. apologies for this.

I've responded to your PM. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

An update for those curious.

So first and foremost I have been offered credit due to the inconvenience which I appreciate ( I'd prefer the broadband just worked but can't deny it's taken the edge off the whole experience for me)

On Monday I was informed a remedy ticked would be put through which takes 2 working days plus 3 working days for a new order to go through. I decided I would contact eir this afternoon to make sure step one was complete and glad I did as lo...behold...it didn't work.

Anyways the current rep has confirmed that they are now trying to manually cancel my broadband ( I don't really understand that) which will take 24 hours then she will put through a new fibre to home order for me and then escalate it so I am top of the list.

So while it's been crappy experience at least 99% of the reps seem genuinely like they want to get it fixed

A+ for effort.

D for service

I'll keep ye all updated.......

Hi folks. The saga continues.

I said I would give ye all a bit of a breather and not post until I'd heard more. Only problem is ...I've heard no more.

I decided to go with the approach of asking for the same staff member each time. I've called 4 times in 2 days both times after 4pm ( giving them a full 24 hours)

After the 4th phone call I gave her an out and let her know she could email me with info instead of a call..

So in 48 hours despite being promised a return phone call or email 4 times as well as the woman herself promising initially she would call as soon as their was an update which as per her would be 24 hours or less I've received nothing from eir or the rep.

Kinda getting the sense that I'm not getting anywhere. Back to square one now. Should I just leave ? Checked my contract and they've breached the terms as far as I can tell.

Comreg have raised a case for me but they are more interested in getting contract cancelled and talking about fines and refunds blah blah blah. I don't want all that hassle and don't really care all that much if some faceless exec gets a letter about a fine . Just want my broadband back.

Eir Tracey very kindly offered compensation but hasn't actually gotten the problem fixed yet either.

Anyways I figure least I can do is post info here for all to see. If any of the reps wanted to comment on the situation is welcome the input.

Thanks for the update.
    I'd want to leave if I were you but I think that would depend on Eir releasing your UAN(that's still used for FTTH right?) and I'd be worried that they would not do this leaving you in even more of a state of limbo than you are now. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

I'd say they dont like been taken back in house and are up to no good.  No help to you but I think you need to escalate a high level complaint, then all the steps will be traced back.  Cutting you off is a definite no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dazice

If you do decide to leave, make sure you post the router back.
    When I left (due to charges for overuse) they never told me to send the router back, and I noticed a charge of €59.99 was taken from my account a few months later from Eir.
    I sent the router back and eventually after about 3 months got a refund of the money.

• Advertisement

Another update. Not a good one unfortunately.

Was advised Thursday I'd be called back. Called in myself as nothing. Got me nowhere ( they won't transfer you). Called back Friday. Same deal. Promised a call back. Person I was speaking to actually got email from the other agent saying she had an update for me but not what update was. Fyi I called from work/partners phone so my phone could be reached ( I get call waiting anyways but just so there's no excuse.

So Friday passed then Saturday and Sunday ( obviously nothing because they don't work weekends. So roll on this morning I call I'm first thing. Actually get through in 4 minutes. Record time. Unfortunately that's the only thing that went well. Usual bs. Whatever last agent done didn't work but I'll do this and that and X and y and this will take 24 hours. Declined and asked to speak to agent who promised to call me back. Think it's best to just stick with one person. He can't even tell me if she's in let alone available. Asked to speak to his supervisor. Not available. He told me for the hassle he would give me 40 euros credit. I explained I've already been offered more credit than that anyways and that I'm not looking for credit I'm looking for my broadband.

Anyways he promised the other agent would call back. Or her supervisor. Or his supervisor.

Called back again to see if I could get through to supervisor. Couldn't but glad I called because what the agents I spoke to on Thursday, Friday and this morning neglected to tell me was that basically it didn't work ( again) and needed to be escalated . Why the agent who took over things last week ( I'll call her p from now on) didnt call back they won't tell me. Girl just now said that the cancellation order is stuck. She's progressing it to tier 2 for me. She said they will just force the order through. I asked if they can do that why it's taken almost 2 weeks for them to do. Why for example didn't p do it on Thursday or Friday when it showed the order hadn't cancelled. No answer to that

Anyways I've been promised tier 2 or the agent from just now will call back even if it's not fixed. She promised she would call me back as soon as she heard something. I was adamant about that. I said I'd call back before 4 if I hadn't heard anything. She said it would be half 4 before she could call back because she's on inbound calls until then. Not a great thing for her to admit given she literally just promised a call back as soon as she heard something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭leche solara

A+ for effort.

D for service
    D is actually a pass mark.  I wouldnt consider any of what you've described as being a pass.

Another update. Pm'd eir Tracey and no response. No call back from tier 2 team. Called 1901 and got through to customer support. Fobbed me off and told me I had to wait for call from tier 2 . Told her I wanted them to call me now before dealing with issue as I wanted to ask them to bump me up the queue. She told me they won't call me till after its dealt with. So how long is that I ask. 3-5 business days.

Totally unacceptable so I ask for supervisor. Apparently the entire floor of staff are unsupervised. Tells me I have to go back into the queue. I ask her could I not be put through to her section again and end up not getting a supervisor ? She doesn't answer the question and starts talking about queue times. I told her I'm not interested in talking to queue times and just said is it not a case she could make me wait for however long only to get put through to her floor where there's no supervisor. Hangs up on me.

Totally disgraceful behaviour. Is this the kinda support people can expect from eir?

Does anyone from eir on boards actually want to answer my pm or address this thread?

Another update. Pm'd eir Tracey and no response. No call back from tier 2 team. Called 1901 and got through to customer support. Fobbed me off and told me I had to wait for call from tier 2 . Told her I wanted them to call me now before dealing with issue as I wanted to ask them to bump me up the queue. She told me they won't call me till after its dealt with. So how long is that I ask. 3-5 business days.

Totally unacceptable so I ask for supervisor. Apparently the entire floor of staff are unsupervised. Tells me I have to go back into the queue. I ask her could I not be put through to her section again and end up not getting a supervisor ? She doesn't answer the question and starts talking about queue times. I told her I'm not interested in talking to queue times and just said is it not a case she could make me wait for however long only to get put through to her floor where there's no supervisor. Hangs up on me.

Totally disgraceful behaviour. Is this the kinda support people can expect from eir?

Does anyone from eir on boards actually want to answer my pm or address this thread?
    Hi sierra117x, 

I completely understand your frustration here, apologies for all inconvenience caused. 

I have responded to your PM there now. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

I mean it's not the worst having the internet cut off or a bit of downtime here and there. But literally every day I'm being told something new. And just getting nowhere. I can't understand why it's taken a week and a half to go to a tier 2 team. Surely after the first week at the most someone would think hey wow this isn't working maybe we should progress this further.

Literally everytime I call up the first thing the agent does is promise they know some way or someone who can fix this. Then they read the notes and realise it's been done already and hasn't worked.

It's also impossible to get a call back. I remember a couple of months ago when we finished our contract I discussed maybe adding phone onto the service. Literally got called every single day with the sales pitch. Last week the same woman ( p) promised twice she would call me back and once she would email me. Last night I was promised a manager would call me first thing. 3 guesses on whether they called or not.

I just really need someone to take ownership of this. To basically say ok we have done wrong this needs to be fixed and then fix it. All the reps are happy to blame each rep before them or their manager or the "system". No one in eir actually seems to be able to say hey btw we ****ed up and this should have been sorted by now so let's bump this guy up the queue. Waiting an additional 5 working days just because that's the standard waiting time is totally bogus.

Honestly can't believe you got me so worked up I resorted to 80's phrasing . Totally not cool.

I take it tracey sorted everything in the last PM then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

tuxy wrote: »
    Please wait 3-5 days for an update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Interesting reading.

I was thinking of switching to eir from Vodafone (MBB only available in my area).

Seriously reconsidering now. It's totally unacceptable the way you've been treated - they couldn't care less. 

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »

Good grief no. I mean I'm trying to be reasonable towards Tracey and the other staff here and I appreciate there's only so much they can do.

Same for the eir reps who while apparently impotent to help have at least treated me decently ( bar one nutjob who I complained about )

But man when your being told left and right by eir reps " oh that should be a simple thing it should take 2 minutes to have been sorted this shouldn't have happened" etc your blood starts to boil.

I'll summarise things as best I can for anyone like the chap above who is reconsidering going with eir. From my own experience and from what I've read. With eir when things are good they are good. Top notch quality and speeds. But when they are bad. **** me are they bad.

Advertisement