Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving notice to leave post-lease

Options
  • 29-09-2018 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I searched through the forum and also tried to get an answer on threshold.ie but I'm a bit confused. I moved into my current apartment in April 2017 and signed a 12-month lease, so now I'm presumably on a rolling 30-day lease. I am planning to leave in November. How much notice do I have to give? Is it 30 days or 42 days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

42 days, as it’s over 1 year and less than two years.

No such thing as a rolling lease, you essentially have a Part IV tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sheepman

Sarn wrote: »
    42 days, as it’s over 1 year and less than two years.

No such thing as a rolling lease, you essentially have a Part IV tenancy.

Thanks for the info. I googled this quite a bit but I'm a bit confused. Is it okay for me to now give 42 days notice without any repercussions? That is, I am not breaking any contract and will receive my deposit back?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

sheepman wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I googled this quite a bit but I'm a bit confused. Is it okay for me to now give 42 days notice without any repercussions? That is, I am not breaking any contract and will receive my deposit back?

They could hold the deposit for reasons such as damage or cleaning but must be able to provide you with a receipt.

Some are very hard to get the deposit back off and then some are great but just contact them and let them know, you may well be able to come to an agreement on and earlier date say if it suited etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

No repercussions, your 12 month lease ended in April 2018. As a consequence you only need to give 42 days notice or a shorter notice if agreed with your LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sheepman

Thank you both for replying :) This is really great to know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement