Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Vuvuzela

Options
  • 29-09-2018 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

:mad: The Ohle Ohle during the Ryder Cup is equivalent to the vuvuzela and is even more more annoying.

:( The soccer type chanting/"singing" is diminishing the game of golf.

:( The routine booing of the USA is just bad form.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Totally agree. It's embarrassing.

Even beyond the use in golf, get a new song ffs. When you hear the creativity on the terraces in England and we are still banging Ole, Ole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It's not an Irish song.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

fullstop wrote: »
    It's not an Irish song.
    Correct - But the Irish adopted it.

eirman wrote: »

The French did too, evidently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

How do you know the nationality of those chanting it today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

eirman wrote:
    The Ohle Ohle during the Ryder Cup is equivalent to the vuvuzela and is even more more annoying.

The irritating Ohle chant cannot be compared remotely to the Vuvuzela sound which ruined the 2010 World Cup as a viewing spectacle for literally billions of people around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

fullstop wrote: »
    The French did too, evidently.
    It's a big French Canadian thing too.

You always hear it at Montreal hockey games

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

TCM wrote: »
    The irritating Ohle chant cannot be compared remotely to the Vuvuzela sound which ruined the 2010 World Cup as a viewing spectacle for literally billions of people around the world.
    The chanting and ohleing is definitely ruining my Ryder Cup. I have to mute regularly,

I'll try the 5 Live commentary tomorrow.

It's a big French Canadian thing too.

You always hear it at Montreal hockey games

Yep, but let's blame the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

When I saw the title I assumed this thread was about McGinley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Whilst I wouldn’t be a fan of it, I certainly wouldn’t begrudge those at the course having spent time and money getting there from singing it, especially if it annoys someone sat on their couch watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's Olé folks. It's actually Spanish. Popular at bullfights and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm a big golf fan and was a big Ryder Cup fan (80s to 90s).

I still like the Ryder Cup ( I think) - but I find the fandom total cringe.

Golf isn't cool , it is naff. That is what we love about it. It doesn't need to be soccer.

Yes I know i all about Irony and I get all the jokes - but dressing up as a European union flag is past bizarre.

The idea of Team Europe is a total invention. It was a GB & I team, extended due to us getting our ass whipped.

As "Europeans" we are meant to suspend our sense of reality and pretend that Europe has some form of commonality and that we are in some way linked. The truth is we love Europe, because of the individuality of each part and the only reason we cooperate is due to an economic bond. There is no real authenticity to a European team in anything. "Euuuuuurrropee" , "Euuuurrrrope" .

If you could look at it as the European tour versus the us tour - you could go, "this has merit" , but the top European players don't even play in Europe.

Poulter pumping his chest for Europe and then hopping back on Tiger's private jet to Florida and his white house on Sunday , in my mind is an image of the faux rivalry. Mcdowel on team Europe , hoping back to his restaurant in Orlando as quick as he can Sunday.

Anyway - the carry on of the people at it , it is just a piss up for the weekend.

I get that - and nothing wrong with it. But the false emotion and meaning behind it all - is total nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Kissy Lips wrote: »

Even beyond the use in golf, get a new song ffs. When you hear the creativity on the terraces in England and we are still banging Ole, Ole.
    You will not here ole ole in the East stand in Tallaght, the Jodi in Dayler, the sheds in Turners cross or Oriel park.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

If you could look at it as the European tour versus the us tour - you could go, "this has merit" , but the top European players don't even play in Europe.

They are all members of the European Tour and play the required number of events to stay as members.

First Up wrote: »
    They are all members of the European Tour and play the required number of events to stay as members.

How many is that ?

I'd imagine Open counts as 1 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

How many is that ?

I'd imagine Open counts as 1 ?

I think it’s just 4 but majors and WGC events wouldn’t count. It used to be more but the likes of Casey and other US based players effectively led them to drastically reduce the commitments.

I think it’s just 4 but majors and WGC events wouldn’t count. It used to be more but the likes of Casey and other US based players effectively led them to drastically reduce the commitments.

Yes, so - most are not European Tour players by any stretch.

Yes, so - most are not European Tour players by any stretch.

Maybe you could argue the likes of Noren and one or two others are kind of EuropeanTour players but most of them probably just play the minimum number required. Like Rory will do Dubai, PGA, Irish Open & Dunhill Links and that’s him sorted. They go for the money and prestige and not a lot the tour can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

:( The soccer type chanting/"singing" is diminishing the game of golf.

The chanting is just cringe, I actually wince when they start singing, awful stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Who cares.

The fans are enjoying themselves the players seem fine with it and the fans aren't calling out during the players back-swings so really what is the problem of having a really rambunctious crowd at a golf tournament.

Stuffiness over etiquette is something that has held golf back as a sport and is something that will have to be eased up on in the future if the sport is to thrive whether people like it or not.

It's stupid to be overly concerned with the behavior of fans at the Ryder Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

12 I thought. But the majors and wgc events are included. So they only need to play 4 other piddly events

Rikand wrote: »
    12 I thought. But the majors and wgc events are included. So they only need to play 4 other piddly events

It used to be but they changed the rules that time there was all the fuss about Casey and whether he’d commit to the tour to be eligible. Now the majors and wgc events don’t matter, it’s just 4 of the regular tournies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

NDWC wrote: »
    The chanting is just cringe, I actually wince when they start singing, awful stuff

Why is it? Because golf is better than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

To be fair the crowd have been spectacularly behaved as the players play there spots. The chanting does feel out of place as do the crowd scenes The way spectator mounding has been designed and the huge crowds it almost as if the event has transcended traditional golf . For me the most annoying spectator trait is shouting after a player hits the ball, wrecks me mallet. Right i am off to player in our own Ryder Cup event and way more important DUBS V CULCHIES. 36 4 balls teeing it up this morning for a 9 am shotgun start followed by the Ryder cup and Beer...or mineral water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

You will not here ole ole in the East stand in Tallaght, the Jodi in Dayler, the sheds in Turners cross or Oriel park.

There wouldn't be time to sing Ole Ole in the Jodi. They'd have to first get through:

BOOOOOOOOEEHHS, BOOOOOOOOOOEEHS

then

We are BOHS, we are BOHS, we are BOHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

For me the most annoying spectator trait is shouting after a player hits the ball, wrecks me mallet.

Agreed!

A guy teeing off on a 600yd Par 5, hits the ball & there is a roar of "GET IN THE HOLE!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's probably closer to wrestling than soccer.

I imagine golf can be quite a "lonely" profession, so many of the pros are happy to play up to the crowd, and that sets things in motion.
    It's a totally different environment to a normal tour event.

As the specific Olé Olé chants - give me that after a good shot or as players are walking to a tee-box over "mashed potatoes" on driver impact ANY day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭valoren

Ooh Aah Gar-cia, Ooh Aah Gar-cia!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭valoren

Agreed!

A guy teeing off on a 600yd Par 5, hits the ball & there is a roar of "GET IN THE HOLE!!!"

There's an old joke about Christy Ring* once playing golf.

The first hole was a 500 yard Par 4. Not knowing how to approach the hole, he asked his partner what he needed to do. He hands Ring a driver and says;

"Try and hit the ball between those two bunkers"

Ring proceeds to split the fairway.

Having walked up to the ball, Ring say "Now what?"
    His buddy hands him a 7 iron and says "Try and land it on the green ahead with the yellow flag"

Ring strikes it purely and the ball lands crisply in the middle of the green.
    Now on the green he asks "What do I do now?". His partner hands him a putter and says "Try and get the ball into the hole"

Ring looks confused and his partner asks "What's the matter?"
    Ring shoots back, "You should have told me that back on the tee"

(* insert any renowned county hurler)

Advertisement