Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does an SSD care?

Options
  • 29-09-2018 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

Does it matter to the performance of a new SSD whether you do a clean install or restore a clean install from a Acronis image?

Does either or affect performance good or bad?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I don't think these two(SSD vs clean) have direct link.
    It is software (OS, drivers, registry, programs, etc.) issue you address with clean install. SSD still run as fast as it can.

Restore is not clean install by definition - you restoring system to its configuration at the time image was created/taken - it will have all issues(if any) as system had at the time of image taken. It will include all present at the time - drivers, programs, etc.

Lets say, when you were 14-15 years of age, photo (image) was taken. 50-60 years later(providing technology so advanced) you "restore" yourself to the state you were on that photo - all pimples included and you still/again virgin.:D

SSD vs HDD - software issues might/will show up in higher contrast due to max HDD performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It is software (OS, drivers, registry, programs, etc.) issue you address with clean install. SSD still run as fast as it can.

Restore is not clean install by definition - you restoring system to its configuration at the time image was created/taken - it will have all issues(if any) as system had at the time of image taken. It will include all present at the time - drivers, programs, etc.

Lets say, when you were 14-15 years of age, photo (image) was taken. 50-60 years later(providing technology so advanced) you "restore" yourself to the state you were on that photo - all pimples included and you still/again virgin.:D

SSD vs HDD - software issues might/will show up in higher contrast due to max HDD performance.

What do you recommend?
    I would not mind a few pimples as a result! ;)

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Virgin at 14-15??? Not in our day.... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

What do you recommend?
    I would not mind a few pimples as a result! ;)

:D:D:D
    SSD? - of course!
    System restore? - I only guess, OP got himself SSD and plan to shift current setup on to it. If system "behave" as expected(consider it was on HDD) and this is just drive upgrade - sure, saves a lot of time. System performance will be increased by SSD quality's. However, if system "misbehave" and/or OP have time and joy to play with new system configuration...

Keep original disk untouched for some time just in case.

Pimples? - sorry, no recommendations here :D

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Virgin at 14-15??? Not in our day.... :P

Damn! This is where i inadvertently reveal my age....:D
    Children "making" children

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The image is that of a clean install + updates taken directly after a new install with MS updates, drivers & no other programs installed.

No issues with the image, it's fine when I use it on any mechanical HDD swap out.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
Advertisement