Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property websites and their listings

Options
  • 29-09-2018 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all.

Iv been searching for house listings (in Dublin area) and would like to get your input.

a few questions.

Sites like daft etc, do they hold most of the property listing or are there any other exclusive sites that might have other listings that the main players would not have or show? Is there one stop shop to find all available houses on the market?

Do estate agents have properties that they don't list on these sites?

How prevalent is it for a listing to exist but not be taken down. As today I drove around to a multiple of active listings (on said websites) only to find they were not for sale anymore. I.e - sale agreed/sold/no sign anymore etc.

I didn't ring any estate agents to see as I was just having a gander around some ares today, so it didn't bother me but when going forward I would like to know if a listing is actually available so as not to waste my time.

Any input appreciated.

Neil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Daft and myhome have damn close to 100% of listings - other sites exist but it isn't worth listing on them as nobody uses them. A small amount of estate agents refuse to use daft as myhome used to be owned by an agents coop of sorts (it's now the Irish Times) and most private listings are daft only so there is still reason to check both

It would be extremely rare for an agent not to list a sale but they may not list rentals sometimes, knowing that they can rent them locally without paying any fees

Listings are often kept up after sale to drive traffic to a specific agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭neildyr

L1011.

Thanks for the information. really appreciated.

So then prudent to make sure a listing is still active by calling them direct before having a snoop. Gotcha ya. obvious I know but was useful for me to drive around and get a feel for multiple areas, so nothing gained and nothing lost.

Thanks again.

Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

neildyr wrote: »
    L1011.

Thanks for the information. really appreciated.

So then prudent to make sure a listing is still active by calling them direct before having a snoop. Gotcha ya. obvious I know but was useful for me to drive around and get a feel for multiple areas, so nothing gained and nothing lost.

Thanks again.

Neil

I would also suggest to contact the agents and tell them what you are looking for exactly. Sometimes they contact seriously interested buyers on their list before the property is even put up online.
    There are vendors who do not want their house to be advertised on Daft/ Myhome at all. Some sellers prefer to put their ad in the EA window displays or websites only - some don’t even want that.
    If you can proof that you have your finances in place and are eager to buy, you will be on the top of their list of buyers to contact.
    But do not rely on every EA to contact you - there are plenty of EAs that require you chasing them regularly!
    I guess it doesn’t hurt if you show your interest/ eagerness by calling them every week for updates. Good luck!

Advertisement