Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seeking recommendation for budget android

• 29-09-2018 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I see various articles online about budget Android phones, Xiaomi, moto g6 etc topping the charts on a few. My wife's phone broke recently, and we have a tight budget. 200 euro max. My problem is all these phones suggested seem to be unavailable in shops.

I'm wondering is there any reasonable budget phone worth getting online somewhere, hassle free no strings attached.

I thought there might be a bargain Android phone thread already, so apologies if I didn't see it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Nalz wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I see various articles online about budget Android phones, Xiaomi, moto g6 etc topping the charts on a few. My wife's phone broke recently, and we have a tight budget. 200 euro max. My problem is all these phones suggested seem to be unavailable in shops.

I'm wondering is there any reasonable budget phone worth getting online somewhere, hassle free no strings attached.

I thought there might be a bargain Android phone thread already, so apologies if I didn't see it.

Thanks in advance.

Xiaomi mi a1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As above. Or as a few euro more and get the A2.

mi a2 lite for a more modern mi a1 with better battery life. (3000mah capacity in mi a1 or a2 and 4000mah in mi a2 lite)

best deals you won't find in the shops - need to buy online. you won't get a good phone for a good price in the shops.

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-mi-a2-lite-4gb-64gb-dual-sim-black.html

allow a week to 10 days for delivery from that site. site going for years - good service. delivery by dpd.

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Since new iPhones are over a grand surely five hundred is a reasonable amount for an Android.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Jimmy. wrote: »
    Since new iPhones are over a grand surely five hundred is a reasonable amount for an Android.

Strange logic

• Advertisement

doylefe wrote: »
    Strange logic

It’s ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Had a cubot cheetah 2 which I paid 120 for,great phone with great spec for the price
    Lost it last wkend though ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would you not consider buying a used phone.

My last 2 phones have been used Sony Z3's.

If you get one in good nick, unlocked you can pick up a bargain.

Be careful buying used phones, may contain germs, faeces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro. Aka "Whyred".
    The one with Snapdragon 636 - avoid the one with Snapdragon 625 as that's an interior phone.

That's spot on within your budget.

Have one myself and can totally recommend it.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/108206760

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

500 isn't a budget phone, regardless of who makes it.

For a budget phone I'd go with Motorola or Nokia. (stock Android) Anything under 200 is generally compromised in some way. 200 is where you a decent all rounder. Theres also chinese phones. I'm not a fan, but they are better bang for buck no argument.

That said I've never spent more than 150 on a phone. If I lose it, or break it, its effectively disposable.

A lot of the used phones seem to be repaired or have minor faults. Then there's the hygiene angle. Not appealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Nokia 6.1 plus is near your budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

No....Since iPhones are over a grand, surely 2 grand is a reasonable amount for an android! :D

budget phones have come on so much in the last 6 months. They now look good, have good screens and cameras that take good photos on good light.

And you can get a good one for less than 200 now.

A2 lite or redmi note 5 are both good but I'd go for A2: lite due to more modern design look and better battery life with stock Android so better security and updates. the note 5 has a slightly better processor but the 625 in the a2 lite runs like lightening on the stock android rom OS and because it's a cpu that draws less power than the note 5 chip the battery life is better. the screen is also better on the a2 lite.

On the budget phone side stick to Xiaomi (mi) or Huawei/ honor as the other manufacturers (eg weird names using helio CPUs in the phones) usually have crap software implementations that will cause you hassle down the line and you'll never get a software update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

FunkyDa2 wrote: »

prices a good 50 or 60 euro more than other sites (where admittedly you'll have to wait from a few days to a week like honorbuy or eglobal) for even the basic phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Nokia 6.1 plus is near your budget

the regular 6.1 is an excellent phone and can be bought for under 200 online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

https://www.adverts.ie/other-mobiles/brand-new-xiaomi-redmi-s2/16397827

Guy is in citywest.

Got one of these myself recently and am delighted with it, NO NFC though if you need that.

Camera is excellent for the price too (outdoor shots of the kids etc. which is what I mainly use it for.)

eamonnq wrote: »
    https://www.adverts.ie/other-mobiles/brand-new-xiaomi-redmi-s2/16397827

Guy is in citywest.

Got one of these myself recently and am delighted with it, NO NFC though if you need that.

Camera is excellent for the price too (outdoor shots of the kids etc. which is what I mainly use it for.)

ok phone but low res screen (720p) and only a 3000mah battery so battery life is ok only.
    nearly 40 cheaper here if you are not in a rush ( 7 to 10 days usually)
    https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-redmi-s2-3gb-32gb-dual-sim-grey.html#specifications

but worth paying a bit extra for one of these
    https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/product/mi%20a2%20lite%2064gb?subcats=Y&status=A&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&q=mi%20a2%20lite%2064gb

the stock android updates is a big plus along with no bloatware apps along with better screen and big battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I purchased the mi A1 for 170 including delivery from amazon Spain.

The a2 was over 50 more and there were some comments online about headphone jack and battery

Need to find a cover for it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Nalz wrote: »
    I purchased the mi A1 for 170 including delivery from amazon Spain.

The a2 was over 50 more and there were some comments online about headphone jack and battery

Need to find a cover for it now :)

A friend of mine has one and he's very happy with it. I got a redmi note 4 on his recommendation and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it either.

Those xiaomi phones are really good for the price you pay.

EDIT: There's a thread in here that will probably have cover recommendations.

Advertisement