Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to buy a new bike?

Options
  • 29-09-2018 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

So I’ve been wondering lately about when you NEED to buy a new bike
    I ride a 2006 Trek equinox tri bike, it’s alloy with a carbon fork and upgraded wheels and it works fine, I’ve beaten lads on bikes worth many times what mine is.
    To be honest I’m a solo rider who doesn’t claim to know that much about bikes, I just wonder how much speed can you buy? If I rode 40k on my bike and then the same on an all singing all dancing tri bike how many seconds, dare I say minutes would €6k buy me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

32.6ft

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I ride a 2006 Trek equinox tri bike, it’s alloy with a carbon fork and upgraded wheels and it works fine, I’ve beaten lads on bikes worth many times what mine is.
    To be honest I’m a solo rider who doesn’t claim to know that much about bikes, I just wonder how much speed can you buy? If I rode 40k on my bike and then the same on an all singing all dancing tri bike how many seconds, dare I say minutes would €6k buy me

I asked the same question before and all got back was "I love you long time"!!! 🀣 🀣 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

It is one of two possible answers, depending on your personality and financial circumstances:
    • Always.
    • Immediately after you bought the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For me, the magpie-like acquisition of shiny things is a more powerful stimulant to the mesolimbic pathways than going very slightly faster in a time trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

If I rode 40k on my bike and then the same on an all singing all dancing tri bike how many seconds, dare I say minutes would €6k buy me

The difference between bikes is less the better your base bike is. Cycle network did a few tests which may show you the difference is small/huge and that you clearly don’t/do need to upgrade.

https://youtu.be/Wdb7KEc7xJI
    https://youtu.be/3HmVQCAjBE0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

When you buy a new bike, your friends will admire you and you will become a better person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Eamonnator wrote: »
    When you buy a new bike, your friends will admire you and you will become a better person.

Explains why I've no friends and no one likes me.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Eamonnator wrote: »

OOOh great, I can expect a load of new admirers within the next week or two, my n+1 arrives in week 41 (hopefully)

Ha week 41, is it a canyon?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

No, a Cube attain GTC SL Disc. My current steed is a canyon ultimate AL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

What do you mean you beat people? Unless you were racing, you didnt beat anyone and saying so is a bit sad imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

terrydel wrote: »
    What do you mean you beat people? Unless you were racing, you didnt beat anyone and saying so is a bit sad imho.

Ah here, it's clear he is one of these two wheeled mugger people I hear so much about in the news. He really does mean he was beating people I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Stevegeraghty

terrydel wrote: »

I am racing

Advertisement