Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painting Flush Doors with Water based paint

• 29-09-2018 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have your typical 6 panel flush doors painted with white gloss paint. I would love to strip back the gloss and give the doors more of a matt finish.
    My plan is to sand door the doors and give them a coat of satinwood.
    Given that they now have oil based paint, would this work out with the satinwood paint?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

macgrub wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have your typical 6 panel flush doors painted with white gloss paint. I would love to strip back the gloss and give the doors more of a matt finish.
    My plan is to sand door the doors and give them a coat of satinwood.
    Given that they now have oil based paint, would this work out with the satinwood paint?

Firstly it is not a 'flush' door if it has panels. :)

I would never advise putting a soft paint over a harder one. The chance of scraping it would be too high imo. Why not use an oil based satinwood or matt? Would be much more hard wearing and the prep would be easier. Always undercoat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

Firstly it is not a 'flush' door if it has panels. :)

I would never advise putting a soft paint over a harder one. The chance of scraping it would be too high imo. Why not use an oil based satinwood or matt? Would be much more hard wearing and the prep would be easier. Always undercoat too.

Every day's a school day :)

This is really great advice. When you say scraping, are you talking about after I would apply the water based satin paint?

Every day's a school day :)

This is really great advice. When you say scraping, are you talking about after I would apply the water based satin paint?

Yes, a softer paint(water based) will only sit on the gloss, it will have no real adhesion so easily scraped.
    Not a fan of water based paint tbh on areas that take a fair bit of use.

Yes, a softer paint(water based) will only sit on the gloss, it will have no real adhesion so easily scraped.
    Not a fan of water based paint tbh on areas that take a fair bit of use.

To be honest, I didn't know there was an oil based satinwood on the market. So this is great.

To be honest, I didn't know there was an oil based satinwood on the market. So this is great.

My advice when painting over gloss is to key the surface well, undercoat and finish with topcoat of your choice.

• Advertisement

My advice when painting over gloss is to key the surface well, undercoat and finish with topcoat of your choice.

Key the surface well? As in preparation?

Key the surface well? As in preparation?

As in provide a key for the undercoat to grip = sand paper well, wipe down with white spirit before topcoating. Satinwood finishes best with a brush and roller imo. Google the correct sequence to paint a panel door properly. There is a correct way to do it, believe it or not.

Edit: Here's a link ;
    https://www.diydata.com/decorating/painting-doors/painting-panel-doors.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

You can use an adhesion primer over the existing paint. Fleetwood do an excellent one called Bloxx It. It's oil based but compatible with any paint once dry. It will stick to anything. As long as the existing paint isn't coming off, you won't need to sand. Once the primer has dried, key this new surface with a very light sanding and apply 2 coats of the satin. ( Water based white paint doesn't cover particularly well as it tends to drag. You can mix a product called Floetrol through it which will help minimise this)

Advertisement