Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Argos refurbished iPhone

• 29-09-2018 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

Purchased a refurbished iPhone 6 on the 12th of October last year from Argos Limerick, all was good until about 3-4 weeks ago when I would occasionally see my screen flickering and becoming unresponsive. Its gradually getting worse. Ive researched it and it looks like its something called "touch disease" which was found in many Iphone 6/6plus handsets. Im going to head in on Monday and see if they can repair it. Apparently its sent off to the manufacturer so god knows how long itll take. Do they test the phone there and then? The "touch disease" thingy can be quite random and unpredictable. I cant guarantee itll start flickering when/if they test it so Im not sure if theyd believe me...does anyone know what I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭C3PO

I would be very surprised if Argos are set up to "test" your phone! My guess is that they will try to fob you off with "contact the manufacturer"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Argos won’t test the phone, they aren’t qualified/trained to do that. In general though, they are very good to deal with and resolve issues. Best thing to do is to go in and start the discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

C3PO wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if Argos are set up to "test" your phone! My guess is that they will try to fob you off with "contact the manufacturer"!

My guess (based on dozens of threads in this forum) is the complete opposite. Argos is nothing less than a model for other retailers when it comes to returns.

Every thread on Argos starts with a worried buyer who expresses concern about how they will be treated when they bring the item back. This is then followed by a glowing post outlining how they were dealt with, which in virtually every case involves either a replacement with new (obviously not going to happen in this case) or a full refund.

Only if the item was clearly damaged post-purchase are you likely to get anything less than full satisfaction.

Edit: See this recent thread. Poster bought a phone which did not have an advertised feature ........
    dubdev wrote: »
    Hi

I bought a Moto e4 phone from Argos yesterday and their ad states it supports contactless payment and NFC. It turns out it doesn't have either. Motorola don't make it easy as they issue so many variants of their phones with minor spec changes, but I'm assuming I'm within my rights to return?

Thanks

90 minutes later....
    dubdev wrote: »
    Just returned it there and got a refund on the spot - pretty sound in fairness!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057906829

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

When I returned my motorola they sat on it for a couple of weeks for it to go through their testing process. (Admin I assume) . Then it was refunded, as they didn't have anything similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Something came up today so didn’t get to go in. Will let you know how it goes when I do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Go to compu b on O Connell street. If its still under warranty they'll sort it as they're an official apple supplier.

The product description on the Argos website says this ....
    This Premium Pre Owned iPhone has been tested and verified by a third party to ensure it is fully functional and ready for use. We've made sure that the quality control process includes product functionality testing, as well as ensuring its battery life meets our high standards.

By omission, this effectively says it's not an Apple refurb. So you'd have no business bringing it to an Apple centre.

Went in anyway...they gave me an apple phone number and a reference code and told me I had to ring them up, send it off to apple and they’d repair it. Said it would be easier for me to send it away instead of them having to do it because it’d be delivered straight to my address

Shn99 wrote: »
    Went in anyway...they gave me an apple phone number and a reference code and told me I had to ring them up, send it off to apple and they’d repair it. Said it would be easier for me to send it away instead of them having to do it because it’d be delivered straight to my address

That's very confusing. I take it that it's out of warranty and assuming that it was not refurbished by Apple (see post #8), why would Apple take it in for a repair unless they were going to charge you?

coylemj wrote: »
    That's very confusing. I take it that it's out of warranty and assuming that it was not refurbished by Apple (see post #8), why would Apple take it in for a repair unless they were going to charge you?

Out of apples warranty but still have a valid warranty with Argos. Nope was 3rd part refurbed. Not sure tbh I was kind of confused myself but I’ll give the number a buzz on Monday and see. Touch ID didn’t work either when I purchased it but was told by Argos it doesn’t work when it has been replaced by a 3rd party. Very confusing and I’m not sure apple would repair free of charge. Won’t be purchasing from Argos again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

Out of apples warranty but still have a valid warranty with Argos. Nope was 3rd part refurbed. Not sure tbh I was kind of confused myself but I’ll give the number a buzz on Monday and see. Touch ID didn’t work either when I purchased it but was told by Argos it doesn’t work when it has been replaced by a 3rd party. Very confusing and I’m not sure apple would repair free of charge. Won’t be purchasing from Argos again.
    apple won't touch the phone I can promise you that.argos is your point of sale so it's up to them to repair it.

Just off the phone to apple support with the reference number. They said that it was wrong of Argos to leave it up to me to set up a repair and that my contract was with Argos. Straight back in to Argos tomorrow evening! Think I got fobbed off a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Argos are trying to hold out until after 12th October to tell you tough luck.

Went in just there, a different manager came out to me...new replacement organized straight away didn’t even power on the phone. Chuffed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Great result for you. Afaik your new phone will only have warranty until the year is up since you bought it though so 1 day warranty now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Went in just there, a different manager came out to me...new replacement organized straight away didn’t even power on the phone. Chuffed

This is why Argos rock!

Excellent service, the fella who I was dealing with the other day was probably a trainee manager or something.. they offered a €360 gift card or the replacement so I ended up taking the replacement. Manager gave me a new receipt with another 1 year warranty and she said if there’s any issue whatsoever to come in and they’ll sort it straight away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

My 6 plus had the flicker issue. Known manufacturing issue with some batches. Went to compub and they sent away... a refurb 6s plus came back..! Result.

Advertisement