Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concrete floor issues

• 29-09-2018 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi.
    I have 3 year old 4 bed semi. Just noticed when doing a bit of digging that there is no sub floor.

Tiles are sitting on 75mm concrete screed, that is sitting on 120mm insulation and that is sitting on the radon barrier.

Am I right in thinking this is a big problem ?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

And what is below the radon barrier?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 James.t

Jimmy. wrote: »
    And what is below the radon barrier?

According to the plans 50mm sand and 250 hard-core... I was afraid to break the radon barrier but it's very soft to touch therefore I assume it's the 50mm sand with hard core under

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

Is there a problem with the floor now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Not a problem at all if the underlying hardcore is an appropriate thickness, founded on an appropriate bearing stratum and correctly compacted. Obviously walls would have individual footings.

Depending on style and method of construction a sub-floor can be redundant.

It's not possible to comment on your house or circumstances specifically but there in general there are perfectly sound houses that are built without subfloors.

Advertisement