Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview aerial

Options
  • 30-09-2018 4:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭

Anyone on the west side of Galway, Bishop O'Donnell Rd\Rahoon receiving Saorview via an indoor aerial or does it have to be an outdoor one?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marcon1

Would anyone know someone who would be able to sort out a TV aerial. My mother’s analogue signal went last week and as she has a Saorview enabled TV I thought that all I had to do was to rescan the channels, however this didn’t work. O’Connors TV on Sean Mulvoy Road recommended that I buy a UHF aerial (her aerial is in the attic) which I did but still no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

marcon1 wrote: »
    Would anyone know someone who would be able to sort out a TV aerial. My mother’s analogue signal went last week and as she has a Saorview enabled TV I thought that all I had to do was to rescan the channels, however this didn’t work. O’Connors TV on Sean Mulvoy Road recommended that I buy a UHF aerial (her aerial is in the attic) which I did but still no joy.

Where are you based and do you know how far you are from the transmitter?

You can check that HERE:

This is the type of Aerial you need

Here's how to wire it up

Depending on your location you can also use an indoor aerial like THIS ONE and receive Saorview perfectly fine. (I'm using one of those to feed 2 TV's and it's working fine.)

Also, make sure none of the braided portion of the cable wire is touching any other part of the single core wire at both the aerial and coax plug ends, if even one strand is touching anywhere it shouldn't you're goosed.

So you got a new UHF outdoor aerial put it in the attic, pointed it towards your nearest transmitter and wired it up and ran the cable from the new aerial to the TV and done a new scan, right?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

marcon1 wrote: »

https://www.did.ie/how-to-switch-to-saorview

Note what it says re aerials in Q&A.

Surely the lady has had no fta analogue television since 2012?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abvxa_5P-Xw

Can anyone who got someone to install a set up recommend someone.

Have an elderly family member who's in limbo now and installing aerials etc is beyond me... I'm not brain than brawn.

I already have a box which I thought would do but we don't seem to have an aerial either.

Surely a few people have had an install lately?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭martin6651

Pat Connaughton did mine and he is very professional he is in the Advertiser.
    info@galwaysat.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I've been following this as well and just got a new TV with 2 tuners. I was told I could use one for Saorview and the other for Freestat (we have an old Sky satellite). From reading it looks like I need to mount the Saoview antenna from the chimney? I don't want to clutter the place with an indoor antenna so if true, I guess we need an installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I've been following this as well and just got a new TV with 2 tuners. I was told I could use one for Saorview and the other for Freestat (we have an old Sky satellite). From reading it looks like I need to mount the Saoview antenna from the chimney? I don't want to clutter the place with an indoor antenna so if true, I guess we need an installer.

There are plenty of external Saorview aerials that work perfectly fine when placed in the attic. The indoor aerials take up no more room than a flower vase, I wouldn't consider them clutter at all.

You can see the list of aerials that work outside or in the attic HERE:

Indoor aerials HERE:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

+1 for Pat Connaughton. I’ve used his services a few times over the years and he always does a tidy job, for reasonable prices. Sound man too.

There’s a good chance that Saorview will work fine for you with an indoor aerial. Or certainly just one in the attic. Unless you’re really surrounded by high buildings etc or in a bad signal area, then a roof aerial is unlikely to be needed. With Saorview being digital it either works or it doesn’t. No “snowy” picture like in the old days.

Many new ish TV’s now come with a built in SAT tuner as well as the DTT (Saorview) tuner. My Sony Bravia does. So I feed 2 coax cables to my TV. One from aerial and other directly from Sat dish. So I’ve all the Irish channels and the free UK ones with no need for any sat box, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

You guys keep saying in the attic but do you have to run a wire out the side of the house to where the tv is? I'm not aware of any wiring for it. I do have broadband up in the attic (converted) so maybe whatever built in wiring I had is being used for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

You guys keep saying in the attic but do you have to run a wire out the side of the house to where the tv is? I'm not aware of any wiring for it. I do have broadband up in the attic (converted) so maybe whatever built in wiring I had is being used for that?

Is there an RF socket where your TV is? Like this:

s-l500.jpg

Most houses would have at least one of these sockets at the TV point(s) around the house. Generally there'd be a cable going from behind that socket to some central location, usually attic or a comms room...

If you don't have this, then yes, you'll have to somehow run a cable from attic to the TV. The same would apply if you were erecting a Sat dish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

I live in Tirellan Heights on the Headford road and I picked up all the Saorview tv and radio channels with this indoor aerial:

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/tv-accessories/tv-aerials/one-for-all-sv9143-full-hd-amplified-indoor-tv-aerial-10152874-pdt.html

Don't think I even needed an amplified one.

Have you tied with a clothes hanger first? I got all the channels on MUX 1 with just a hanger.

The channels on MUX 2 took a bit of fidgeting with the aerial and a manual tuning search but I got them in the end.

Advertisement