Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can we talk about Cristiano Ronaldo?

• 30-09-2018 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone linked it on a different thread? Der Spiegel (not a rag) story is worth a read.

page 1

http://www.spiegel.de/international/cristiano-ronaldo-kathryn-mayorga-the-woman-who-accuses-ronaldo-of-rape-a-1230634.html

page 2

http://www.spiegel.de/international/cristiano-ronaldo-kathryn-mayorga-the-woman-who-accuses-ronaldo-of-rape-a-1230634-2.html

ending
    Cristiano Ronaldo has also been unreachable. In the last year and a half, DER SPIEGEL has given him repeated opportunities to share his version of what happened back in 2009. In addition to emails confronting him with the reporting results, DER SPIEGEL has also asked him many times for in-person interviews. All of these attempts have been rejected, including the most recent attempt. One of Ronaldo's lawyers merely responded that all reporting on the subject is unlawful.

But it looks as though Ronaldo will, in fact, have to revisit the case and speak about what happened on that night in Las Vegas nine years ago. In the last several weeks, the police have spoken with Kathryn Mayorga on several occasions and questioned her again.

The Nevada criminal code includes the following statute: If a sexual assault has been documented in time by the police, it will never fall under the statute of limitations.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think ultimately, any developments in this story would likely do more damage to his reputation, than there would be any chance of him facing legal consequences. Given all the time that has passed, even if this happened exactly as reported, the kind of legal team he would be able to afford would have very little issue creating enough reasonable doubt to see him safe.

Either way, this is definitely the kind of topic that you’d hope people would be able to approach without the usual Messi/Ronaldo biases that typically pollute any threads relating to one or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

<Thought this was gonna be allegations of doping>

Another thread in the future once he retires perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

If a complaint was filed at the time and if money was paid over subsequently, both should be pretty easily proven and he’s in deep doodah. If not, hs name should be cleared quickly and strongly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

eigrod wrote: »
    If a complaint was filed at the time and if money was paid over subsequently, both should be pretty easily proven and he’s in deep doodah. If not, hs name should be cleared quickly and strongly.

Or he could become a President ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Mayorga's lawyer's claim relies in part on a document, which includes Ronaldo's description of what happened that night. In that document, the soccer player is quoted as saying: "She said no and stop several times."

That being his description sounds fairly damning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The 32 pages of legal documents...

http://www.spiegel.de/media/media-43488.pdf

She seems to have a strong case, medical records and as said above, Ronaldo saying "She said no and stop several times" combined with Ronaldo apparently hiring a team of reputation fixers to monitor her.

J. Marston wrote: »
    The 32 pages of legal documents...

http://www.spiegel.de/media/media-43488.pdf

She seems to have a strong case, medical records and as said above, Ronaldo saying "She said no and stop several times" combined with Ronaldo apparently hiring a team of reputation fixers to monitor her.
    You’d have to worry what the source is for Ronaldo saying that though. It’s hard to imagine him sitting in a room and essentially admitting to rape (and his own lawyers actually allowing him to do so). Not saying those quotes definitely aren’t exactly what says on the tin but I’d have doubts until it becomes a bit more transparent.

eigrod wrote: »

I really don’t think that’s how it would work. His argument (and this could be true) will be that he paid over money, feeling extorted to stop this reaching the media and putting serious strain on his footballing career.

He may well be guilty but it’ll be very difficult to prove with the way this has panned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I wonder if they got wind of this at Madrid before the Summer :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

CSF wrote: »
    I really don’t think that’s how it would work. His argument (and this could be true) will be that he paid over money, feeling extorted to stop this reaching the media and putting serious strain on his footballing career.

He may well be guilty but it’ll be very difficult to prove with the way this has panned out.

AFAIK you can't pay for a NDA when it comes to criminal acts so her signing the agreement means nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I wonder if they got wind of this at Madrid before the Summer :pac:

Spanish press widely speculated that he was going to move because of his tax convictions. I don't recall anything about this. There was some mumblings about it a long time back but nothing specific from tier one sources. That I can recall anyway.

This looks pretty damming but reasonable doubt given Ronnie's legal behemoth should not be improbable. This woman is unbelieavably brave. She's going to make enemies in places she probably didn't even know it was possible to make enemies.

AFAIK you can't pay for a NDA when it comes to criminal acts so her signing the agreement means nothing.

What I meant moreso was that her taking the money would definitely be used by a hypothetical defence team in any court case, and used to create doubt by painting her as an extortionist.

These kind of cases are very difficult to convict at the best of times but I think Ronaldo would have been in much deeper waters if charges had been pressed from the beginning.

Think this will be something that is more likely to blacken his reputation than ever see a courtroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Lots of people coming out of the woodwork everywhere these days.

I see Ms Ford's gofundme page has reached nearly $500k......

I don't think there is anything in this story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

ebbsy wrote: »

only this women seemingly has proof.. and if any of that paperowrk is legit, ronaldo is in deep trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I think ultimately, any developments in this story would likely do more damage to his reputation, than there would be any chance of him facing legal consequences. Given all the time that has passed, even if this happened exactly as reported, the kind of legal team he would be able to afford would have very little issue creating enough reasonable doubt to see him safe.

Either way, this is definitely the kind of topic that you’d hope people would be able to approach without the usual Messi/Ronaldo biases that typically pollute any threads relating to one or the other.

Time has nothing to do with it look at other celebs caught out in recent years even this past week Bill Cosby was sent to jail for something that happened even longer than this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

we're getting to the stage that any celebrity having sex needs to videotape it and save it to the cloud.

I don't know about this one though, I want it not to be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

bennyl10 wrote: »

only this women seemingly has proof.. and if any of that paperowrk is legit, ronaldo is in deep trouble

Possibly bud, otherwise it's extortion.

Possibly bud, otherwise it's extortion.

he already paid her?? according to his own legal team none the less

There's nothing extortionate here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

gimli2112 wrote: »
    we're getting to the stage that any celebrity having sex needs to videotape it and save it to the cloud.

I don't know about this one though, I want it not to be true

Who'd have thought Paris Hilton would be the pioneer ahead of the curve?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Madrid have some sway with UEFA. Since he left their cozy arrangement, he's been robbed of an award (conveniently given to a Madrid player), given a ridiculous red card in the CL and now slandered in the media.

Give Germany the finals of Euro 2024 and sure they might let us use their papers to damage Ronaldo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

According to the article the women accusing Ronaldo has given up her job as a school teacher which she says helped with her depression & is now staying at an unknown location as she wants justice. So basically has given up her life. Going public with this if it was false wouldn't really make sense.

Also Ronaldo's lawyers are not suing Speigal either just saying it is fake news.

This story could be true hope it is isn't though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The part that got me was her insistence on a letter she wrote being read to him. Not something you'd really expect someone to be in for just money to request. (Unless they were very calculated.) Be very interesting to know if Ronaldo actually read that letter - or remembers it.

Time has nothing to do with it look at other celebs caught out in recent years even this past week Bill Cosby was sent to jail for something that happened even longer than this

I think the Cosby case is more the exception than the rule. I think the only thing that would lead to a conviction here would be if those quotes that were reported are legit, which I doubt.

I wouldn’t even be too confident she will press charges here given she already took that sum of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

MD1990 wrote: »
    According to the article the women accusing Ronaldo has given up her job as a school teacher which she says helped with her depression & is now staying at an unknown location as she wants justice. So basically has given up her life. Going public with this if it was false wouldn't really make sense.

Also Ronaldo's lawyers are not suing Speigal either just saying it is fake news.

This story could be true hope it is isn't though.

Not even that. Have a look at the Twitter thread above. They are saying the publication was illegal because it 'violated the personal rights' of Ronaldo. Nothing about it being fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Madrid have some sway with UEFA. Since he left their cozy arrangement, he's been robbed of an award (conveniently given to a Madrid player), given a ridiculous red card in the CL and now slandered in the media.

Give Germany the finals of Euro 2024 and sure they might let us use their papers to damage Ronaldo.

:pac:

Modric won the same amount as Ronaldo in the year and outperformed him in the WC. Even if CR7 had stayed at Madrid, that award was always going to be Modrics.

christ.. that makes for poor reading from a cr7 view..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Anyone using the term "Fake News" now pretty much guarantees to me that it isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I think the Cosby case is more the exception than the rule. I think the only thing that would lead to a conviction here would be if those quotes that were reported are legit, which I doubt.

I wouldn’t even be too confident she will press charges here given she already took that sum of money.

What about all the other celebs caught up in scandals recently, there is no time limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

All you can do is watch and wait really. It would be very disappointing if true, to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

Anyone using the term "Fake News" now pretty much guarantees to me that it isn't.

It's the new Godwin's Law

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    All you can do is watch and wait really. It would be very disappointing if true, to say the least.

I would say more than disappointing. He should be sacked and prosecuted and face a lengthy time in jail.

If it's true.

Rape is not disappointing. It's a brutal crime that should always result in a jail sentence. But you are correct about the watch and wait, he is entitled to a presumption of innocence and all we can do is see how it evolves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Need an app on your phone now with digital or voice signatures before you slip it in these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Der Speigel have certainly done their work here and it's a tough read. It's one side of a story but at the moment it certainly appears to be a damning one.

What about all the other celebs caught up in scandals recently, there is no time limit.

Don’t think too many of them will see a jail cell. Again I could be completely wrong and for those who did commit the crimes, I hope I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Need an app on your phone now with digital or voice signatures before you slip it in these days.

Or you know... Just get general consent like 99.9 percent of the population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It would be a great shame if he was. He's one of the greatest players of all time, but if it was true it would rightfully destroy his reputation.

I will hold off making any judgement until the facts become clearer and a proper investigation determines the truth. Unfortunately in cases like this, it's extremely difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Case reopened. Could be looking at a stretch as a Supreme Court nominee in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Juve must be going through the bins for that receipt now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Juve must be going through the bins for that receipt now.

If you believe in conspiracy, because hes left Real, hes been "robbed" at the FIFA Best awards, hes had to pay taxes he purposely avoid paying and now this case has re-surfaced.

The Internet, namely Twitter, is mad, strange place. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Wonder if Pérez caught wind of something resurfacing.

I'd expect the floodgates to open now in the media as they can now cite official records with the case reopened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If true, all respect for him is lost, and he deserves whatever punishment he gets.

I don't think any sexual assault case should ever be made public until a verdict is determined however.

Especially this one, with the alleged victim being named. There will be weirdos giving her all kinds of abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

This is going to be painful for everybody involved.

If it does seem to be true fair play to her for eventually becoming strong enough to report it.

If it's false, it'll be a public nightmare for Ronaldo although from everything I've read it does appear to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

If true, all respect for him is lost, and he deserves whatever punishment he gets.

I don't think any sexual assault case should ever be made public until a verdict is determined however.

Especially this one, with the alleged victim being named. There will be weirdos giving her all kinds of abuse.

I agree that case should not be made public until verdict is determined for 2 reasons, prejudice of trial process and reputation damage for both parties, especially the accused if they turn out to be innocent as in the ulster rugby players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I honestly didn't know what to think about this story when I heard about it.
    But reading the links to the full speigel article...i tend to believe her over him. His first response is pretty telling, horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Deserves jail if its true.
    Listening to Matt Cooper yesterday he had someone from Spiegel on saying Ronaldos legal team have never denied rumours just threats were the story ever leaked.
    That's telling if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭patmac

I wonder if he moved to Italy to take advantage of their judicial system, makes more sense now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

patmac wrote: »
    I wonder if he moved to Italy to take advantage of their judicial system, makes more sense now.

the only thing I know about the Italian judicial system is the clusterfup of the trial(s) for foxy knoxy. Is it supposed to be lenient in these cases or just a bit shambolic?
    Where could she sue him? Probably just Portugal and his country of domicile, I don't know. It may kill any thoughts of him finishing his career in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

This will likely cause a ton of death threats for her and nothing much for him. This is exactly why women are afraid of reporting. 500K is nothing considering the amount of legal help she will need.

As a Juve fan it was already clear to me when he joined that CR7 is a (veeeeeery likely) rapist and it's sickening to even look at him now tbf.

• Advertisement
Advertisement