Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can we talk about Cristiano Ronaldo?

1235»

Comments

I would have thought that if his legal team tried to stop this being published in the first place then that automatically places an appearance of having something to hide on things ie Why would someone want a story stopped if there was no truth to it?

Because of course it may point to other behaviour that is certainly not a crime, and may not even be wrong, but he may not want assessed in the cold light of day.

What if, for example, he likes anal sex while placing his hands around a woman's throat, rough sex but all consensual. He might not want that pored over for day after day. A multi millionaire may happily pay a fraction of what he earns to make that go away - indeed it may damage his image and earning power if the truth were revealed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

What if, for example, he likes anal sex while placing his hands around a woman's throat, rough sex but all consensual.

I love it when you talk dirty to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What if, for example, he likes anal sex .

Well it has been rumoured about him in the past :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,916 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Las Vegas police issue warrant for his DNA is being reported this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How would having his DNA prove he raped someone 10yrs ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Worth pointing out that in December one of Der Spiegel's most prominent, award-winning journalists was found to have falsified stories for years:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/19/top-der-spiegel-journalist-resigns-over-fake-interviews?CMP=fb_gu&fbclid=IwAR3n7o1hNSKWqw0AS3eqh5eFXTww4q0VlKBL1Wyj0EUJKiYw9S906h3lGcU

While this journalist didn't work on the Ronaldo story, it does call into question the credibility of the paper, especially when one of the journalists who did work on the story was claiming at the time:

https://twitter.com/derWinterbach/status/1046479622165147649

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Worth pointing out that in December one of Der Spiegel's most prominent, award-winning journalists was found to have falsified stories for years:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/19/top-der-spiegel-journalist-resigns-over-fake-interviews?CMP=fb_gu&fbclid=IwAR3n7o1hNSKWqw0AS3eqh5eFXTww4q0VlKBL1Wyj0EUJKiYw9S906h3lGcU

While this journalist didn't work on the Ronaldo story, it does call into question the credibility of the paper, especially when one of the journalists who did work on the story was claiming at the time:

https://twitter.com/derWinterbach/status/1046479622165147649

Not really relevant to Ronaldo's case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

NIMAN wrote: »
    How would having his DNA prove he raped someone 10yrs ago?

Given that the alleged rape was reported to Police on the actual day it allegedly occurred, but without the accused being named by the accuser, and because she underwent a physical examination at a hospital and samples were taken, they have DNA evidence.

Although I am not sure how relevant/helpful that is for any prosecution given the fact that Ronaldo does not deny having sex with her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/rape-case-against-cristiano-ronaldo-in-us-dropped-1.3915279

Case has been dropped which im sure a few in here will be disappointed to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then it looked like a bang to rights case and yet it's withdrawn - I wonder how much money changed hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/rape-case-against-cristiano-ronaldo-in-us-dropped-1.3915279

Case has been dropped which im sure a few in here will be disappointed to hear.

The fanboys will be disappointed to hear that they have jumped the gun reporting the case as dropped.

It has been moved to federal court as the police were unable to serve Ronaldo with the complaint. It is still an ongoing case.

(The source for the above is a DS journalist replying to a twitter post claiming the case is dropped.)

Oat23 wrote: »
    The fanboys will be disappointed to hear that they have jumped the gun reporting the case as dropped.

It has been moved to federal court as the police were unable to serve Ronaldo with the complaint. It is still an ongoing case.

(The source for the above is a DS journalist replying to a twitter post claiming the case is dropped.)

Case in point.

;)

Good to see some make light of sexual assault for their own happiness on an internet message board one upmanship game.

So then it looked like a bang to rights case and yet it's withdrawn - I wonder how much money changed hands.

Surely if a guy rapes you, you'll not settle until you see justice done?

Just makes you wonder was it a genuine case at all, or just someone looking for some more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

No not how it works at all.

Good to see some make light of sexual assault for their own happiness on an internet message board one upmanship game.

What a bizarre comment.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Just makes you wonder was it a genuine case at all, or just someone looking for some more money.

So just to play this one out:

Let's say a guy rapes you Niman.

You then have to go to the police and tell them about the guy that raped you and about the rape itself. You have to relive each moment of that experience.

You have to answer questions about what you were doing in the situation, what you were wearing, how reliable your testimony is.

You then have to listen to the person who raped you call you a liar. This person is a huge celebrity with millions of people willing to listen to him, and listen they do as he tells them that you must be after the publicity. The publicity that is a consequence of being raped.

You have to go to court where you will have to relive the whole experience again as your lawyer asks for minute detail on your experience being raped. By a person in the court. A person who is looking at you while you describe what happened.

You then have to answer questions from their lawyer, as they seek to discredit you completely. They are determined to make you seem like a unreliable, indecent, con artist. While the man that raped you looks on.

You have to, repeatedly, reveal intimate details about an incredibly traumatic experience in front of your abuser and in front of the media. You have to retell the story of how you became trapped by someone stronger than you, or taken advantage of when you were vulnerable, or deliberately manipulated until someone entered your body without your permission.

It's of little wonder that people settle, because that all sounds incredibly re-traumatising.

I don't know if Ronnie did or did not rape anyone. But to dismiss the alleged victim because they took a settlement is extremely overly simplistic.

So just to play this one out:

Let's say a guy rapes you Niman.

You then have to go to the police and tell them about the guy that raped you and about the rape itself. You have to relive each moment of that experience.

You have to answer questions about what you were doing in the situation, what you were wearing, how reliable your testimony is.

You then have to listen to the person who raped you call you a liar. This person is a huge celebrity with millions of people willing to listen to him, and listen they do as he tells them that you must be after the publicity. The publicity that is a consequence of being raped.

You have to go to court where you will have to relive the whole experience again as your lawyer asks for minute detail on your experience being raped. By a person in the court. A person who is looking at you while you describe what happened.

You then have to answer questions from their lawyer, as they seek to discredit you completely. They are determined to make you seem like a unreliable, indecent, con artist. While the man that raped you looks on.

You have to, repeatedly, reveal intimate details about an incredibly traumatic experience in front of your abuser and in front of the media. You have to retell the story of how you became trapped by someone stronger than you, or taken advantage of when you were vulnerable, or deliberately manipulated until someone entered your body without your permission.

It's of little wonder that people settle, because that all sounds incredibly re-traumatising.

I don't know if Ronnie did or did not rape anyone. But to dismiss the alleged victim because they took a settlement is extremely overly simplistic.

I didn't dismiss them, just saying that they obviously took it a certain distance, then stopped.
    We may never know if they took a pile of cash, or else couldn't face taking it any further, or were plain lying all along.

But I always wonder about people who have been wronged, but seem to be happy to take cash over justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

What a bizarre comment.

I don't think so if the point he is trying to make is you have one set of largely Utd fans on one side and Liverpool fans on the other when the question they should all be asking themselves is what the fcuk is wrong with me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I didn't dismiss them, just saying that they obviously took it a certain distance, then stopped.
    We may never know if they took a pile of cash, or else couldn't face taking it any further, or were plain lying all along.

But I always wonder about people who have been wronged, but seem to be happy to take cash over justice.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were dismissing them. Just the attitude that "IF they take the cash, they mustn't have been wronged" is a pervasive argument that gets trotted out frequently. In sexual assault instances, it certainly isn't the case.

What a bizarre comment.

What's even more bizarre is those posters who act confused about doing it.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I don't think so if the point he is trying to make is you have one set of largely Utd fans on one side and Liverpool fans on the other when the question they should all be asking themselves is what the fcuk is wrong with me?

Nail on the head gimli and exactly the point of my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,608 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If anyone has not seen his interview with Piers Morgan is on VMTV tonight

Advertisement