Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air BnB to be effectively banned for non PPR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Brilliant. Get these houses back on the market for people to buy and not blatantly profit off!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Banning short term lets from non PPR homes makes perfect sense. Short term lets are massively pushing the price of rental property through the roof.

Sure some of the landlords are going to bitch and moan about it because their easy money scheme comes to an end. They'll just have to get a long-term tenant in. Landlord gets paid and society gets reasonable rent rates.

I just bought a property, Mortgage is 1,300 per month and my valuation report put the potential market rental price at 2,300 per month. That is absolutely crazy!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Senature

This is absolutely essential. B&Bs, hotels etc are regulated, air bnb type lets should be no different. Housing is there to provide homes for residents, not beds for tourists. Landlords who are put out by this need to lobby the government for both being allowed more leeway on rent levels and better rights/recourse/compensation etc in relation to non paying tenants or those who cause damage rather than complaining about this legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

When did this come into effect, there are a lot of people using the extra house they used to rent before Air B and B now using them for air B and B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

So regulate air bnb in Dublin and that'll free up extra space?

1. Lovely keep it in Dublin.

2. Hotel prices to go up more. Appear to be the only beneficiaries

3. Space is finite. So get rid of these and people move elsewhere. Theoretically it will have no affect. May open a few rentals or maybe these will sell. But conversely the people who were in them now need to be elsewhere.

4. More regulation. Just what we need here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Mr.S wrote: »
    100% needed.

Sure, it sucks for the landlords who are making a killing letting entire homes week to week on Airbnb, but it's not sustainable.

Shocking that you think its okay for governement to dictate what i can do with my property just because they won't do the right thing and build homes.

I'm lucky that my unit is mortgage free. It'll remain empty now.

I've never gouged a tenant and just had one leave that cost me 17000 euro in unpaid rent and damage. That was 4 years post tax rental income.

No way I'll rent it again. I'll leave it empty and watch it appreciate and not have to worry about overholding tenants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Shocking that you think its okay for governement to dictate what i can do with my property just because they won't do the right thing and build homes.

When you purchased the property was it on the basis that it had planning permission for short-term holiday lettings or a domestic dwelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

That's far too extreme. Have you seen the price of hotel rooms in Dublin? They are already eye watering. And we already apparently have a shortage of hotel beds in the city.

The government needs to build more homes!! That's the end of it. Or we need to change the current system which is so weighted against the landlord, thus making Airbnb an attractive alternative! Pushing the problem onto the private rental sector is not the answer here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Hogzy wrote: »
    Banning short term lets from non PPR homes makes perfect sense. Short term lets are massively pushing the price of rental property through the roof.

Sure some of the landlords are going to bitch and moan about it because their easy money scheme comes to an end. They'll just have to get a long-term tenant in. Landlord gets paid and society gets reasonable rent rates.

I just bought a property, Mortgage is 1,300 per month and my valuation report put the potential market rental price at 2,300 per month. That is absolutely crazy!!!!!

Yep, and you'll pay 50% of that in tax. So you'll be out of pocket by €150 a month in mortgage for a house you can't live in and unknown euro a month if your tenants decide not to bother paying rent, or to damage the house.

There's plenty of threads here showing that renting houses is not the money maker that people think.

Yep, and you'll pay 50% of that in tax. So you'll be out of pocket by €150 a month in mortgage for a house you can't live in and unknown euro a month if your tenants decide not to bother paying rent, or to damage the house.

There's plenty of threads here showing that renting houses is not the money maker that people think.

Well the house is my family home so that doesnt apply to me.

My suggestion to people is not to buy a house if youre going to rent it with a huge mortgage...The situation you go through above is a prime example of someone who cant afford t keep a property.

You dont have an entitlement to make a profit out of your property that is rented and mortgaged. Youre treating it as a business.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    When you purchased the property was it on the basis that it had planning permission for short-term holiday lettings or a domestic dwelling?

Has planning for holiday lettings.

Tell me again why the government won't build houses???

So you should have no problems.

There's no suggestion existing (planning compliant) holiday lettings are going to be removed from the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That's far too extreme. Have you seen the price of hotel rooms in Dublin? They are already eye watering. And we already apparently have a shortage of hotel beds in the city.

The government needs to build more homes!! That's the end of it. Or we need to change the current system which is so weighted against the landlord, thus making Airbnb an attractive alternative! Pushing the problem onto the private rental sector is not the answer here.

There's a massive amount of hotel building going on at the moment and hotels are expensive because they're full of people who can't get rental accommodation. I'm 100% behind this move.

I say that as a former landlord whose property was wrecked by tenants, selling was a very happy day.

Airbnb is banned in cities all over the world, this is not Ireland going on a solo run

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Many tourists won't pay Dublin hotel prices and air bnb helped make it affordable to them.
    I guess Dublin's loss will be Belfasts or Edinburghs gain.
    Who needs tourists spending money in the country when we can corner the market in the forever home brigade instead!
    I think Ross is putting back up the tax on hotel rooms as well, that should help deter a few more tourists too!

Unreal to see all the tourism experts on here. They must have put hours of research into tourism spending habits, affordability etc in multiple cities in Europe as well as Dublin. Fair play to ye lads!

enricoh wrote: »
    Many tourists won't pay Dublin hotel prices and air bnb helped make it affordable to them.

I don't think "lads we're going to kick 3,000 of you out of your homes to make room for a few more LoCo flights of budget tourists" was ever a sound strategic policy for housing or tourism.

Unreal to see all the tourism experts on here. They must have put hours of research into tourism spending habits, affordability etc in multiple cities in Europe as well as Dublin. Fair play to ye lads!

<snip>

Mod
    Attack the post.

Hows your PhD research into the housing trends of Ireland and how AirBnB is the root if all evil?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm lucky that my unit is mortgage free. It'll remain empty now.

I've never gouged a tenant and just had one leave that cost me 17000 euro in unpaid rent and damage. That was 4 years post tax rental income.

No way I'll rent it again. I'll leave it empty and watch it appreciate and not have to worry about overholding tenants.

Sure you will!

Hows your PhD research into the housing trends of Ireland and how AirBnB is the root if all evil?

Fantastic! Iv come to the conclusion that the sense of entitlement out of some property owners in this country is staggering. Ill publish my findings in due course. PM me your address and ill send you a copy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Still probably worth it to have it on air b & b and leave it empty most of the year.

All they're doing is adding another front to crisis; buyers, renters, and now the 640k tourists.

Just to drive the last few nails in with dedicated student accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Tell me again why the government won't build houses???

They are building houses. We had a major recession and building ground to a halt. Stopping short term lettings is an entirely positive delevlopment and will go some way to increasing rental supply. If a few greedy landlords are out of pocket then so be it. Their obsession with money is destroying the city. Boo boo.

Mod Note:

Please folks.

Opposing opinions and reasoned debate are more than welcome.

Snide digs, personal attacks are not.

Varik wrote: »
    Still probably worth it to have it on air b & b and leave it empty most of the year.

That may not be an option for anyone currently letting an investment property via AirBnB.

Obviously there's not much detail out there yet but there are indicators it will only be permitted if it's the hosts PPR.

Fantastic! Iv come to the conclusion that the sense of entitlement out of some property owners in this country is staggering. Ill publish my findings in due course. PM me your address and ill send you a copy!

The arrogance of those property owners! Believing they should have some say over how an asset they own should be used! How dare they!! :pac:
    They are building houses. We had a major recession and building ground to a halt. Stopping short term lettings is an entirely positive delevlopment and will go some way to increasing rental supply. If a few greedy landlords are out of pocket then so be it. Their obsession with money is destroying the city. Boo boo.

I am constantly surprised by the absolute delusion of some posts here, where people with no knowledge or understanding can't see past their own prejudices and come up with claptrap like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Graham wrote: »
    Varik wrote: »

That may not be an option for anyone currently letting an investment property via AirBnB.

Obviously there's not much detail out there yet but there are indicators it will only be permitted if it's the hosts PPR.

Article says otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Good thing there's a arse ton of hotels being built or pending having been granted PP in Dublin at the minute so.

If the tourism sector has a supply and demand issue let them address it themselves through purpose built units. Units built as housing under their planning permission should be used as housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

When will Revenue move to extract tax from the Airbnb lettings?
    And when will Councils enforce the planning change of use regulations?
    They've had years.

The arrogance of those property owners! Believing they should have some say over how an asset they own should be used! How dare they!! :pac:

If your property has planning for holiday lettings then you are fine. Having a house solely dedicated to Airbnb's without proper planning permission is illegal. So yes, some landlords are being arrogant and entitled by thinking they can flagrantly ignore community planning rules by allowing their property to be let in such a way.

If you are unable to afford the mortgage payments then sell the property! I dont understand this mindset that if you mortgage a house and rent it you are somehow entitled to break even or profit from such a venture! What gives you this right???

If costs of housing goes up, salaries must go up. If salaries go up then the costs of doing business goes up, that cost of business is pushed on to the consumer. Economics 101 lads, its in all our interests to see lower rental rates in the country. Salaries have not seen the growth that housing costs have in the previous 5 years.

• Advertisement

If your property has planning for holiday lettings then you are fine. Having a house solely dedicated to Airbnb's without proper planning permission is illegal. So yes, some landlords are being arrogant and entitled by thinking they can flagrantly ignore community planning rules by allowing their property to be let in such a way.

If you are unable to afford the mortgage payments then sell the property! I dont understand this mindset that if you mortgage a house and rent it you are somehow entitled to break even or profit from such a venture! What gives you this right???

There's no right to make a profit. But it's not wrong to make a profit.
    In fact it's a requirement for any business.

Advertisement