Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air BnB to be effectively banned for non PPR

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

titan18 wrote: »
    Where else do you expect these tourists to go? Hotel prices are through the roof so most people will just likely not come if that's their only option.

All that serves to do is reduce tax and possibly result in a loss of jobs if tourism starts to decrease.

I don't know about other cities but in Dublin there is this massive hotel building push at the moment. They are springing up everywhere, it must be thousands of beds altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

steo_magra wrote:
    I can’t wrap my head around why so many people here are arguing the point that Airbnb properties will be released back to the market when we have a property crisis. The internet is whack!

Best and only way to solve a property crisis is to build more. Every other thing this government has done has just resulted in it getting worse.

AirBnb was a way for landlord to rent out properties but still keep that house as a potential future rental incase the government ever stopped fcuking around with regulations.

Those houses are not short term rental options but could have been longer terms one. Just removed them from the longer term set now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Graham wrote: »
    You generally have zero people 'living' in an AirBnB property.
    wally79 wrote: »
    These aren’t standard rentals though. These are Airbnb properties. This change will release previously unavailable properties to the standard rental/retail market
    steo_magra wrote: »
    Ok well let’s stick these houses on Airbnb for tourists......

My point, and the point of others, is that AirBnB is the only real way for landlords to make money. The government have gutted the sector with high taxes and one-sided regulations.

The belief that a ban will return properties to the long-term rental market is wrong. No AirBnb means most will sell, as many have already done, meaning less rental property as a whole. Sure, people buying a home will benefit slightly, but the rental market will hugely suffer.

Banning AirBnB is not the solution. It may be PART of a solution, but only if the government gives more security and earning potential to landlords, which it won't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Where else do you expect these tourists to go? Hotel prices are through the roof so most people will just likely not come if that's their only option.

All that serves to do is reduce tax and possibly result in a loss of jobs if tourism starts to decrease.

1,268 properties to stay in Dublin (booking.com)

Your telling me that one of those properties is not reasonable value ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It is not (nor should it ever be) the purpose of the residential property market to accommodate large scale tourism.

• Advertisement

My point, and the point of others, is that AirBnB is the only real way for landlords to make money. The government have gutted the sector with high taxes and one-sided regulations.

The belief that a ban will return properties to the long-term rental market is wrong. No AirBnb means most will sell, as many have already done, meaning less rental property as a whole. Sure, people buying a home will benefit, but a healthy rental market is essential too.

Banning AirBnB is not the solution. It may be PART of a solution, but only if the government gives more security and earning potential to landlords, which it won't do.

Are you a landlord ?

The belief that a ban will return properties to the long-term rental market is wrong.

The belief is the properties will return to the residential market.

Whatever form that takes, there will still be some relief on the housing market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

The belief that a ban will return properties to the long-term rental market is wrong. No AirBnb means most will sell, as many have already done, meaning less rental property as a whole. Sure, people buying a home will benefit slightly, but the rental market will hugely suffer.

Airbnbs are not in the rental market though.

Are you a landlord ?

Nope. I've rented for 10 years and am looking to buy.

I just know a knee-jerk reaction when I see it.
    The belief is the properties will return to the residential market.

Whatever form that takes, there will still be some relief on the housing market.

The solutions for the residential market are to change planning laws to build more and build higher.
    The solutions for the rental market are to make renting a more equal contract.

The govt. knows exactly what's needed to solve these issues, but is busy going in the opposite direction to win political points. We're 15 years into a housing crisis in this country that's gone from unsustainably high, to low, to high.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Graham wrote:
    It is not (nor should it ever be) the purpose of the residential property market to accommodate large scale tourism.

Could say the same about hotels having rooms taken up by homeless. However, that doesn't seem to stop the government doing that.

That's still going to happen after banning AirBnb so all it really does is reduce options for tourists.

• Advertisement

Nope. I've rented for 10 years and am looking to buy.

I just know a knee-jerk reaction when I see it.

So how do you know letting out a property on AirBnB is the only real way landlords can make money ?
    Your talking about something you have no experience in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Work this alongside a vacant homes tax and it may begin to address some of the housing problems.

So how do you know letting out a property on AirBnB is the only real way landlords can make money ?
    Your talking about something you have no experience in.

You don't have to be a landlord to know the business.
    If you're going to use the argument of authority, what's your authority?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Shocking that you think its okay for governement to dictate what i can do with my property just because they won't do the right thing and build homes.

I'm lucky that my unit is mortgage free. It'll remain empty now.

I've never gouged a tenant and just had one leave that cost me 17000 euro in unpaid rent and damage. That was 4 years post tax rental income.

No way I'll rent it again. I'll leave it empty and watch it appreciate and not have to worry about overholding tenants.

Why not just sell now before the influx of properties on the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sharktopus

Hogzy wrote: »
    If your property has planning for holiday lettings then you are fine. Having a house solely dedicated to Airbnb's without proper planning permission is illegal. So yes, some landlords are being arrogant and entitled by thinking they can flagrantly ignore community planning rules by allowing their property to be let in such a way.

If you are unable to afford the mortgage payments then sell the property! I dont understand this mindset that if you mortgage a house and rent it you are somehow entitled to break even or profit from such a venture! What gives you this right???

If costs of housing goes up, salaries must go up. If salaries go up then the costs of doing business goes up, that cost of business is pushed on to the consumer. Economics 101 lads, its in all our interests to see lower rental rates in the country. Salaries have not seen the growth that housing costs have in the previous 5 years.

This post X 1000.

In the vast majority of cases full Airbnbs are in breach of their planning permission. There has been a big issue lack of enforcement. Hopefully this new legislation will put the onus on the platforms to regulate.

There is a weird misconception from the landlord types here that property is a magic way to generate short term profit. Property is a long game. You see returns in decades not years. Renting out a property is a way to build equity over time, not a short term cash cow. The failure by some many to grasp this fact fills me with dread for the future of our property market. We have learnt nothing from the last two decades.

Thanks Hogzy for pointing out some basic economics.

You don't have to be a landlord to know the business.
    If you're going to use the argument of authority, what's your authority?

If AirBnB is a business, then let the property owners apply for planning permission and pay business rates. The problem is that those properties were built for private use ie for families or others to use as their homes.

The solutions for the residential market are to change planning laws to build more and build higher.
    The solutions for the rental market are to make renting a more equal contract.

That would certainly help.

As would the return to the market of several thousand residential properties currently being used for holiday lettings.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Delighted - need to see the details on reporting, enforcement and penalties but a much needed measure.

That would certainly help.

As would the return to the market of several thousand residential properties currently being used for holiday lettings.

I just don't believe that this one action is a panacea to the crisis that has plagued the country for a decade.

If it were paired with better rental regulation then I'd be in favour, but all I see is the government taking easy wins over long term strategy.

I just don't believe that this one action is a panacea to the crisis that has plagued the country for a decade.

I don't think anyone has suggested it is.

If implemented correctly it could be a way to return several thousand properties to the market fairly quickly but it's definitely not a silver bullet to slay the housing crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

this is pretty sh1t.

Airbnb is brilliant for me and my family on holidays , can only assume (reasonably imo) that my foreign equivalents (wife and kids) likes a similar stay in Dublin or Ireland.

Won't really effect me as I use Airbnb abroad or in rural Ireland.

But it's sh8t.

Leo et al... doing there best to appease twitter and lose their own base . But perhaps they are sorting our their FG pals in the hotels federation rather than the righteous on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Work this alongside a vacant homes tax and it may begin to address some of the housing problems.

Should be a vacant car tax too, so poor people can drive your car when you aren't using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Hopefully Air BnB will challenge this in the Courts. They have the financial heft to do so.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hopefully Air BnB will challenge this in the Courts. They have the financial heft to do so.

Challenge it on what grounds?

Not looking too promising there:
    Airbnb has called on the Government to introduce regulations for the short-term letting market to help deal with the rental crisis in Dublin.

“We want to be regulated,” Airbnb’s head of policy Chris Lehane told The Irish Times, adding that there was a need for new regulations.....
    Mr Lehane joined the company almost three years ago. “Over those three years we’ve now put in place more than 500 regulatory-type arrangements around the world,” he said. “Some are tax partnerships, some are data sharing, some are full-on regulatory frameworks. What has evolved over the years is a growing recognition, particularly by governments who want to deal with the issue, that you need new laws for a new thing.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Another great idea like getting rid of bed sits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Fann Linn wrote: »

Will drive more to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Unreal, but the communists appear to have gotten their way.
    No more Air BnB unless you rent a room in your own dwelling.

Can't understand how FG thinks this will help them come election time.

http://www.thejournal.ie/airbnb-regulations-ireland-3-4259732-Sep2018/

Maybe they're finally just trying to do some good regardless of how it'll look? Highly doubt it but it'd be nice.

Brilliant news anyway at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Air B&B is essentially 'nixers'. People who run actual b&bs have planning, rates, insurance, tax and other requirements to satisfy. Why should regular b&bs be obliged to spend money on adapting entrance ways, conforming with disabled access requirements, putting in fire safety equipment and exits and so on when air b&b can just open a room and take the money. I have stayed in air b&b and it was excellent, but there has to be a bit of a level playing field.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Interference in the market has worked so well so far. I’m sure this will be brilliant!

The government is just passing the buck again. With an election coming up its just stacking the cards for them self’s.

Advertisement