Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guests while renting

Options
  • 30-09-2018 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Wondering if there is a set amount of days someone can be over (a guest) while your renting?

One of the housemates is taking the piss with the partner coming over for 5days then 2 days away a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ant1_2k

k99_64 wrote: »
    Hi,

Wondering if there is a set amount of days someone can be over (a guest) while your renting?

One of the housemates is taking the piss with the partner coming over for 5days then 2 days away a lot.

I would recommend looking at your tenancy agreement in relation to this or even having a chat with your landlord.

As a tenant myself I always inform my landlord if I am going to have guests come and stay for more than a few days and my landlord don't have a problem with that because in my case it's usually a family member coming for a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

ant1_2k wrote: »
    I would recommend looking at your tenancy agreement in relation to this or even having a chat with your landlord.

As a tenant myself I always inform my landlord if I am going to have guests come and stay for more than a few days and my landlord don't have a problem with that because in my case it's usually a family member coming for a visit.

I was wondering about any laws in place because all i seen was 'short stay', thats all.

No real, guidance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Is his girlfriend contributing towards the rent and bills. 5 days a week is taking the p1ss.
    Plenty of threads on here about the topic with loads of advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you go the "pay bills" route, be advised that the "guest" may become permanent.

Check if the landlord is getting their cut.

Is his girlfriend contributing towards the rent and bills. 5 days a week is taking the p1ss.
    Plenty of threads on here about the topic with loads of advice.

Not paying anything, and we seem to be knee deep in doing washing now too.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    If you go the "pay bills" route, be advised that the "guest" may become permanent.

Check if the landlord is getting their cut.

I really dont want the pay bills route i want the 'by law you should gtfo'

I would be ok with once or twice in a week but it bollox by this stage

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

He/she needs to go.
    A 'guest' is someone who might stay over occasionally- rather than habitually.
    He/she- has moved from occasional to habitual status.
    It is irrelevant whether or not there is an offer for them to make a contribution towards the bills- they should not be there- and you could be in breach of your tenancy agreement by allowing them to be there. They are no-longer a 'guest' they are a defacto tenant (in everything but name).
    If they don't agree to leave- the person they are staying with needs to make alternate arrangements.
    As alluded to above- there are tonnes of threads in this forum from people in the same situation you've found yourself in- it is not acceptable- and it needs to be brought to a swift and definitive halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Something that happens here a lot - and I think its because of a longstanding Irish trait of wanting to avoid confrontation - is that a lot of people take the piss.

This happens in a myriad of ways and in all parts of the country. The lad in the GAA club who is always blabbing on about how things should be run but never lifts a finger. The motorist who nips into the bus lane with the indicators on and at the very last second before the lights nips back into traffic. The parents who take their kids out of school for three weeks in May because flights are cheaper. The homeowners that stick on the massive extension that puts their neighbors in a permanent shadow. I could go on an on and on, it happens all the time.

And the reason it happens is because they think they will get away with it. They think they can do this, and the spotlight wont turn on them.

This guy knows you have to live with him. He knows that if he does the right thing and asks either you or the landlord - look, my girlfriend is going to to be moving in for 5 days a week, is that ok? He knows the answer is no, its not ok.

So he does the other thing, which is to just do it anyway, and put the pressure back on you - make you the bad guy who raises the issue, and spoils the atmosphere in the place.

Personally - I'd go to the landlord and complain, rather than becoming that bad guy. But it depends on what level of confrontation you feel comfortable with and what you think the reaction might be.

He/she needs to go.
    A 'guest' is someone who might stay over occasionally- rather than habitually.
    He/she- has moved from occasional to habitual status.
    It is irrelevant whether or not there is an offer for them to make a contribution towards the bills- they should not be there- and you could be in breach of your tenancy agreement by allowing them to be there. They are no-longer a 'guest' they are a defacto tenant (in everything but name).
    If they don't agree to leave- the person they are staying with needs to make alternate arrangements.
    As alluded to above- there are tonnes of threads in this forum from people in the same situation you've found yourself in- it is not acceptable- and it needs to be brought to a swift and definitive halt.

Cheers! thanks for this, i tried looking but, maybe im just ****e at the search functions.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Something that happens here a lot - and I think its because of a longstanding Irish trait of wanting to avoid confrontation - is that a lot of people take the piss.

This happens in a myriad of ways and in all parts of the country. The lad in the GAA club who is always blabbing on about how things should be run but never lifts a finger. The motorist who nips into the bus lane with the indicators on and at the very last second before the lights nips back into traffic. The parents who take their kids out of school for three weeks in May because flights are cheaper. The homeowners that stick on the massive extension that puts their neighbors in a permanent shadow. I could go on an on and on, it happens all the time.

And the reason it happens is because they think they will get away with it. They think they can do this, and the spotlight wont turn on them.

This guy knows you have to live with him. He knows that if he does the right thing and asks either you or the landlord - look, my girlfriend is going to to be moving in for 5 days a week, is that ok? He knows the answer is no, its not ok.

So he does the other thing, which is to just do it anyway, and put the pressure back on you - make you the bad guy who raises the issue, and spoils the atmosphere in the place.

Personally - I'd go to the landlord and complain, rather than becoming that bad guy. But it depends on what level of confrontation you feel comfortable with and what you think the reaction might be.

I tried to raise it with the tenant who has been having the guest over (she ran off after i said "here, whats going on" Literary ran out the door)

I have to say thank for the replies here, its so i know im 'in the right' to go this has gone on too long get your **** together and **** off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

ant1_2k wrote: »

It's not a really an issue for the landlord as long as there aren't too many people in the house, although I'm sure some would care, as long as they get the rent they would be happy.

For the tenants though they are basically paying this person's rent and utility for free and suffering everything that comes with 1 more person staying, it's mainly in there interest to get it sorted. She she pay rent or they should get there own gaff.

Advertisement