Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can house be painted well in the winter?

• 30-09-2018 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭

Will lack of natural light affect the finished job?

Edit title-can you get a good paint job in the WINTER?
    Sorry.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

no

Trouble with painting in winter is lack of drying time. The days are too short and the temp doesn't get high enough to dry the paint in a timely manner. Chances are the paint will still be wet overnight which then leaves it open to either freezing or being washed off with rain. Only thing you could try is to use an oil based emulsion but even this would be chancy imo ( plus its about double the price )

Sorry, I was assuming it was exterior, though on looking back at the op, maybe not??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Apologies for the omission-I meant internal walls.
    I guess painters can't be off work all winter, so it must be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Addle wrote: »
    Will lack of natural light affect the finished job?
    The drying of paint is not affected by the ambient light conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If you are calling current weather conditions winter then no go out and finish the paint job before the real rain kicks in :)

Addle wrote: »
    Apologies for the omission-I meant internal walls.
    I guess painters can't be off work all winter, so it must be ok.

Are you talking about the painters actually being able to see properly in artifical light?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's house-dependent tbh. I just finished painting the ground floor of mine. Front of the house is east facing, found it a nightmare to try and paint the room on that side after 3pm. In fact, I ended up missing one side of the chimney breast on the first coat, and nobody noticed, not even me. Came back at 10am for the second coat and it was much easier.

Rear of the house I could do at any time because I have rooflights. So it made no real difference whether it was 10am or 4pm, there was more than enough light.

It is possible to paint under lights, but your standard bulb in a hanging light is much tougher than bright white downlighters. The latter casts far fewer shadows and you get truer colour from the walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

dok_golf wrote: »
    Are you talking about the painters actually being able to see properly in artifical light?

Yes, exactly my query.
    Thanks.

Any painter worth his/her salt will be able to do it. Quite often, I get rooms that have loads of shadows or very little natural light. I ( or any painter) have faith in the method used, e.g. I know exactly how high up the wall to roll because I know exactly how far down I came when cutting in. But generally, if you move about a bit and look from different angles, you'll see the wet surface

• Advertisement
Advertisement