Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Inspection

Options
  • 30-09-2018 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So my landlord will be doing a house inspection soon, which we have no problem with.

However, the last time he did one, he commented on our personal belongings. He commented on my housemates bedroom saying that his the top of his chest of drawers were cluttered and that his storage box at the end of the bed made his room look untidy.

Furthermore, he also complained that we keep our spices and herbs (all jarred) out on the counter top, and said that it makes the place untidy and that he would be embarrassed if he lived there. These are all communal and we don't have any press for them.

In terms of him being a landlord, he isn't the worst, he's still quite bad but he does make quite patronizing comments sometimes and alludes to us being filthy people which we certainly are not. And he doesn't answer any of our calls to the point where he ignored us for over 6 months before.

Can he make comment about a tenants personal belongings?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

He can comment but who gives a ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

He sounds like a knob of a landlord. When I visit my rental place, I notice the tenants don't have it tidy or clean to my standard. I'd never comment on it though, it's their decision and they are the ones who have to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

pew wrote: »
    Can he make comment about a tenants personal belongings?

Yes, and you can comment about how stupid his shoes are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ignore him- if you're happy to live like that- its a choice you are making.
    Providing you are keeping the property in a reasonable condition- making sure any issues are noted and reported immediately- and pay your rent on time- snide comments from the landlord, while annoying, mean absolutely nothing.

Vis-a-vis spice jars on the worktop- one little thing- if you have a ceramic cooker- you are expressly warned not to leave the little glass spice jars anywhere near it. Even tiny little innocuous knocks from them against the ceramic- stupidly gentle little knocks- can cause it to shatter. For your own sake- I'd spend a tenner in Woodies on a little spice rack- you can bring it with you to your next place anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I'm OK with the comments I just ignore him.

Re the spice jars, we have a storage box for them but he isn't happy that it's on display on the counter far away from the cooker.

Thanks a million for the responses guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sounds like Stalag 13.

When he makes his first highly inappropriate comment this time, tell him you appreciate his input and you'll write it down and keep it with his suggestions you wrote down and kept the last time. Poor landlords hate stuff like facts being noted for future reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

However, the last time he did one, he commented on our personal belongings. He commented on my housemates bedroom saying that his the top of his chest of drawers were cluttered and that his storage box at the end of the bed made his room look untidy.
    Perhaps display sex toys, etc, on top of the press?
    Furthermore, he also complained that we keep our spices and herbs (all jarred) out on the counter top, and said that it makes the place untidy and that he would be embarrassed if he lived there. These are all communal and we don't have any press for them.
    If he comments on this again, ask will be be installing a shelf to put said items on?

Advertisement