Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clip-on mudguards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

I have a similar design mudguards from a different manufacturer. Also based on a mount that is routed under the brake caliper.

They state they will work for up to 25mm tyres but this is not necessarily true. It depends on the clearance which also will depend on your frame design.

In my case I can get them to just about fit with 23 or 25mm tyres but over time the bracket will bend down a bit or get clogged with a little mud and you get rubbing. It got to a point that I modded the mount to route over the caliper but this caused other problems. So am probably going to buy a seatpost mounted guard for the back. On the front it has worked fine.

So bottom line you won’t know until you try them or find someone who has same frame as you who has them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have the SKS (Raceblades) version of these, absolutely brilliant. They don't go under the brakes but they don't need too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have the SKS (Raceblades) version of these, absolutely brilliant. They don't go under the brakes but they don't need too.

I'd second the Raceblades! Use them all year round on the commuter and have a 2nd set that I use when required on the training bike. I find that they work really well. They do eventually fall apart though!

C3PO wrote: »
    I'd second the Raceblades! Use them all year round on the commuter and have a 2nd set that I use when required on the training bike. I find that they work really well. They do eventually fall apart though!

I have two sets, one started to slip through the holder but I was able to fix that with a bit of Tec7 I had lying about and they haven't moved since. Looks like alot more clearance for them and less fiddly than the linked ones.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have two sets, one started to slip through the holder but I was able to fix that with a bit of Tec7 I had lying about and they haven't moved since.

Ahh ... Tec7 ... Duck tape for the 21st century!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

Tec7, duck tape – essentials ��

Thanks folks. The raceblades seems to fit in a similar manner round the brakes. Enough clearance for 28mm tires? Any preference on the model type?

circler wrote: »
    Tec7, duck tape – essentials ��

Thanks folks. The raceblades seems to fit in a similar manner round the brakes. Enough clearance for 28mm tires? Any preference on the model type?

Nope - the Raceblades stop short of the calipers front and back! Consequently are much more flexible!

C3PO wrote: »
    Nope - the Raceblades stop short of the calipers front and back! Consequently are much more flexible!

Not that it matters much but it seems the flingers are similar:

https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/flingerraceproclipmudguardrearrear-brakefittings.jpg

circler wrote: »

Looks like you need to put a clip onto where the brake calipers attach to the frame. Just looks more fiddely to set up and to take off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

OP

Take the rear brake caliper off and take a pic of the brake bridge area from the back. Fairly close up showing top of rear tyre. If you post the pic here I can take a guess for you.

But safer bet is to try the raceblades

I was looking at Raceblade Long which has the same clippy bit. I can see the advantage from a clearance point of view with the Pro ones alright.

I'll try out the ProXL. Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Little bit of subject but do all clubs have a winter rule that you must have mudguards on bikes for club spins or is it just the odd few?

Little bit of subject but do all clubs have a winter rule that you must have mudguards on bikes for club spins or is it just the odd few?

Most clubs do after a certain deterioration in weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

With our club, it's a requirement from the end of October but some of the more considerate riders have fitted them already or have switched to their winter bikes.

My own experience of the Raceblade Long over the last few winters has been mixed. Clearance of the bracket under the rear brake was very tight with 25mm Conti 4000's but fine with Rubino Pro's. The clips are poorly designed and have jammed open and closed at different times and the ones on the Flinger seem simpler and a lot better. Not looking forward to all the hassle and the rattling at the end of the month.

My own experience of the Raceblade Long over the last few winters has been mixed. Clearance of the bracket under the rear brake was very tight with 25mm Conti 4000's but fine with Rubino Pro's. The clips are poorly designed and have jammed open and closed at different times and the ones on the Flinger seem simpler and a lot better. Not looking forward to all the hassle and the rattling at the end of the month.

The raceblades are not meant to go under the brake though, the clip on ones is what I am referring too, I presume you have the permanent ones, which I have found poor from SKS, connecting points always seem to go eventually:
    11320_RACEBLADE_PRO_side_red-1024x641.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Worth remembering that there is a 5 year guarantee on SKS Raceblades - had issue with part snapping off from wind resistance on front mudguard where arm meets plastic and they replaced once I mailed on proof of purchase with photo of mudguard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

xnvk14.jpg

SKS have an odd naming system for their mudguards. The Raceblade Long (above) are clip-on and probably most similar to the Flinger ones originally posted.

I have had to rely on the guarantee twice because of the clips failing. The first time they replaced the rear mudguard and the second time they sent me a full new set. Excellent service but they won't accept that the clips are badly designed and prone to getting clogged up with grit and dirt. The Flinger and BBB mudguards rely on a small lever rather than a fiddly clip. Maybe the SKS ones are not meant to be used in the wet? :)

Advertisement