Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skin issues

Options
  • 01-10-2018 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

A couple of things. I'm 47, with good skin usually. Sensitive and can get quite dry,but I've always looked after it and I would never be thought of as being my age. I never suffered with spots at any stage, but over the past few months, I seem to have them permanently on my chin and sometimes on my nose and cheeks. I have started using glycolic acid both in liquid form and also pre-saturated pads. I love how clean it makes my skin feel. Could this be causing breakouts though? I'm very conscious of them especially as people would have often commented on how good my skin was. 
    Second thing, my forehead is particularly wrinkle free and very smooth. But lately it is also quite shiny, but not in a greasy way. It just has the appearance of it. I've been asked if I've had plastic surgery or botox!! Which I haven't. I can't wear make-up at work, but is there anything in the line of a cream that I can use to take the shine down, but not interfere with the condition of my skin.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Youre possibly over exfoliating which could be contributing to the shiny head, Glycolic acid should only be used twice a week and using it in two forms could be over doing it.
    They could be causing the spots too, if you stop using the new products and they dont clear up go to your doctor and get a medicated cream. I took a horrendous reaction to a hot cloth cleanser a year ago, my face was covered in huge spots that wouldnt clear up, I got a gel antibiotic from my doctor and its great, it cleared up my skin in two weeks and helped the scarring too, I still have loads left and use it when I get the odd break out.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Recliner

Youre possibly over exfoliating which could be contributing to the shiny head, Glycolic acid should only be used twice a week and using it in two forms could be over doing it.
    They could be causing the spots too, if you stop using the new products and they dont clear up go to your doctor and get a medicated cream. I took a horrendous reaction to a hot cloth cleanser a year ago, my face was covered in huge spots that wouldnt clear up, I got a gel antibiotic from my doctor and its great, it cleared up my skin in two weeks and helped the scarring too, I still have loads left and use it when I get the odd break out.

I think you're probably right about the over exfoliating. I've read up a lot over the last week and I've definitely been going over the top with the glycolic acid. I think because it's not a typical rough exfoliant, it's easy to think that it's much easier going on the skin. I really need to cut back on my usage of it. I was using it every day and if I was wearing make-up then twice a day. I'm lucky I still have skin on my face!!
    Prior to the glycolic use, I was just cleaning my face with water most days, because I had no make-up on and using a Q10 moisturiser from Aldi and my skin was perfect and easily looked 10 yrs younger.(In fairness, my mother in her 80's has amazing skin so I do think genetics has a huge part to play.) As I've gotten older I've definitely become more interested in skin care. But I do think it's easy to get caught up with all the hype surrounding all the different products.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Recliner wrote: »
    I think you're probably right about the over exfoliating. I've read up a lot over the last week and I've definitely been going over the top with the glycolic acid. I think because it's not a typical rough exfoliant, it's easy to think that it's much easier going on the skin. I really need to cut back on my usage of it. I was using it every day and if I was wearing make-up then twice a day. I'm lucky I still have skin on my face!!
    Prior to the glycolic use, I was just cleaning my face with water most days, because I had no make-up on and using a Q10 moisturiser from Aldi and my skin was perfect and easily looked 10 yrs younger.(In fairness, my mother in her 80's has amazing skin so I do think genetics has a huge part to play.) As I've gotten older I've definitely become more interested in skin care. But I do think it's easy to get caught up with all the hype surrounding all the different products.

True, I think less is best, I got really into skin care a few years ago and within a couple of months to a year I noticed a drastic decline in my skin, I aged about 5 years - I think some skin care products are all hype and do more harm than good. A beautician told me to stick with natural products and keep my skin care simple as some skin care brands spend more on advertising than ingredients and theyre not always good for your skin. That said I started using a Salycilic(sp) acid to exfoliate and I notice my skin is much brighter and smoother but im only using it twice a week. Aldi skin care is great imo, I love Lacura products.

Advertisement