Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Responsibility for scrub land

Options
  • 01-10-2018 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I'm thinking of buying a house in a rural area near the sea that comes on an elevated site with a couple of acres of scrub land leading down to the water - if you were to stand outside the house and look at the water everything in your direct line of sight is sold with the house. We weren't particularly looking for a house with land attached so it's all very new to us.

My question is - if you own scrub land what responsibilities do you have for maintaining/securing/insuring it? It's on a pretty steep gradient and is mostly briars, low bushes, some grass etc. The estate agent suggested we could clear it to improve the view but other than that we'd have no plans to ever do anything with it.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You may in actual fact be limited in how you use it- and any use may be subject to an EIA (Environmental Impact Assessment).
    You really need to seek a little guidance offline- initially I would suggest from the environmental officer in the local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Public liability insurance would be a safe option, in case anyone decides to attempt to trapes across it, ring a few insurance companies for a quote. 're the actual land there would be no issue really, in terms of what is done with it I'd say, obviously once you won't be building on it etc

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your home insurer will able to extend public liability cover for this land; it probably won't be explicitly covered by a standard policy. It shouldn't cost a whole lot though, but it will require that you erect fencing along the boundary. Standard wire fencing would be sufficient, the purpose is to prevent people accidentally straying onto your land and hurting themselves, not to keep intruders out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Mooooo wrote: »
    Public liability insurance would be a safe option, in case anyone decides to attempt to trapes across it, ring a few insurance companies for a quote. 're the actual land there would be no issue really, in terms of what is done with it I'd say, obviously once you won't be building on it etc

You don't need public liability insurance for private land - occupiers liability act 95 protects you.

Advertisement