Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colleague's Habit

Options
  • 01-10-2018 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

This is not huge stuff or anything but my colleague (sits right next to me) has this habit (when I say habit, I mean every minute of every day, generally speaking).

He jitters his legs up and down at 90 miles an hour. By this I mean he bounces his heel off the ground by about an inch or two while the ball of his foot stays put on the floor. He does this at a rate of about 7 times a second (just tried it myself in an attempt to quantify it). He does this on both feet, all day, except for when he's moving around.

This also makes a noise, I reckon from the fabric of his trousers and maybe rubbing off the edge of the seat too.

It is absolutely infuriating. Does anyone have any idea how this should be approached? Our company actively encourages diversity so I'm not sure how requesting him to stop would appear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Odelay

I do that a lot! Don't even thing about it, glad I don't share an office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

guy does that beside me and makes my 37 inch monitor wobble and it infuriates me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I 'jitter' my legs like your colleague too. It is okay now because I am not distracting colleagues but in a previous job in a call centre it was a bit of a problem. Does his shaking cause your monitor or desk to shake at all. That is how it was raised with me and I felt it was a reasonable way to do it. If your colleague reacts well try and have some patience because I shake my leg without even noticing and it took me a while to get it to stop while I worked in the call centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have you tried asking him......

What is with people letting their gripes develop internally. Open your mouth . You might get a result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

DeccyJ wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea how this should be approached?

Talk to him?

Do it nicely though, could be just a habit, could also be a symptom of anxiety or a side effect of some medications.

Either way talking to him would be the first step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If it snaking the desk wobble or your monitor shake, you deffo can approach him on it.

Can you have headphones in when doing your work?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DeccyJ

listermint wrote: »
    Have you tried asking him......

What is with people letting their gripes develop internally. Open your mouth . You might get a result

You know yourself, it can be very awkward.
    wexie wrote: »

Talk to him?

Yep, it'll have to be done. Just got to choose the right moment.

Oh my god though, it is reallly annoying!

I can hear it with my headphones in! And see it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Slightly off topic but I just wanted to vent about the girl who sits beside me who BITES the fork when she eats at her desk and then slides the fork out between her teeth. It is absolutely dreadful to listen to, how does anyone reach adulthood without being taught that this is not how to use a fork? You gently close your lips around the fork, you don't bite steel with your teeth and then drag it along your teeth, that's so bad, your teeth should NOT be coming into contact with the fork at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I find it very distracting myself. Fidgeting is the sign of a weak mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

Our company actively encourages diversity so I'm not sure how requesting him to stop would appear.

How exactly does this fall under 'diversity'?

Talk to him.

How exactly does this fall under 'diversity'?

Talk to him.

You know, if someone had a psychological/physical/medical thing that made them bounce off the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Just talk to him about it nicely.

Ask him why he does it.

He will most likely ask if it bothers you...

You can smile a say a bit...

He will then try to do it less. But note if he has restless leg syndrome he probably can't stop doing it. In that case you could consider moving desks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You know yourself, it can be very awkward.

Yep, it'll have to be done. Just got to choose the right moment.

Oh my god though, it is reallly annoying!

Dont make it awkward, make a joke about it.

hey is there a minor earthquake my desk keeps shaking

Oh its you. Are you ok ?

- job done and if they do it again say 'minor tremors again' They will eventually stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

You know, if someone had a psychological/physical/medical thing that made them bounce off the walls.

Pretty big assumption there.

If it's distracting you from your work just mention it to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭homosapien91

I have a similar situation a guy who sits at the desk next to me, his chair squeaks though when he does it so every so often it would be dead silent and you will just hear the chair.

I have been listening to it for 3 years though so I'm well used to it, doesn't bother me so much, I am way too polite to say anything haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

D3V!L wrote:
    I find it very distracting myself. Fidgeting is the sign of a weak mind.

Wut?

More likely it is nervous energy or he is trying to keep sharp. I do it sometimes when I am studying to keep the blood moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

A guy where I work did the same thing. The woman sitting next to him politely asked him to stop. He did it a couple of times after that and she politely asked him again. Now he doesn't do it anymore. Easy and painless, and there were no hard feelings. It's really not that big of a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

New guy on my pod does it and it makes the entire pod shake. Just ask him nicely to stop, he likely doesn't even realise he's doing it. My guy doesn't.
    OMM 0000 wrote:
    Ask him why he does it.

In fairness, it's none of the OP's business why he does it. Yer man probably doesn't even know himself. It's just a nervous habit for most people who do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

My colleague - who sits at the desk next to me loves to eat tinned fish and leave the tin in the office bin. This has been said to her on a few occasions :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Jem123 wrote: »
    My colleague - who sits at the desk next to me loves to eat tinned fish and leave the tin in the office bin. This has been said to her on a few occasions :confused:

Anytime I'm forced to sit still long enough my legs will start going mental . Not long ago we were Hunter gatherers , we are designed for climbing trees , swimming across rivers and chasing prey all day, recently enough we've been trying to force ourselves to sit still at desks for 40 hours a week , the nervous system doesn't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Jem123 wrote: »

I think that's a lot more offensive and ignorant than leg shaking to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

I do it too...it drives my wife nuts. I can of course consciously stop it when asked. But I'm not aware I'm doing it and will start again when I'm concentrating on something. I have two brothers who do it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

This is not huge stuff or anything but my colleague (sits right next to me) has this habit (when I say habit, I mean every minute of every day, generally speaking).

He jitters his legs up and down at 90 miles an hour. By this I mean he bounces his heel off the ground by about an inch or two while the ball of his foot stays put on the floor. He does this at a rate of about 7 times a second (just tried it myself in an attempt to quantify it). He does this on both feet, all day, except for when he's moving around.

This also makes a noise, I reckon from the fabric of his trousers and maybe rubbing off the edge of the seat too.

It is absolutely infuriating. Does anyone have any idea how this should be approached? Our company actively encourages diversity so I'm not sure how requesting him to stop would appear.

Just ask him to stop as its making noise, or shaking the floor, whatever.

Its not like you need to tell him he smells or something. Its just a habbit.

I used to do that too but stopped after i moved to a new office and i made a notably large noise on the wooden floors. Nobody had to tell me, just noticed myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

listermint wrote: »
    Dont make it awkward, make a joke about it.

hey is there a minor earthquake my desk keeps shaking

Oh its you. Are you ok ?

- job done and if they do it again say 'minor tremors again' They will eventually stop.

No need to even joke.

Just say it straight.

"Hey jake, when you tap your feet it makes noise and shakes the desks. "

Thats all you have to say and unless he is a complete nut he will get the point to stop.

If he continues then just say. "Hey jake, seriously stop tapping your feet"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

My workmate is a women in her 50s whos awful at technology and she NARRATES everything she does out loud when shes opening Outlook or Word etc. She will literally sit down and go "ok so control alt delete log on...whats my password again, ok so email here from so and so." Then when using Word she will be consulting her handbook which was given to her to do most of the basic things in Word but when she does something wrong like go into Page Break view or something she literally recoils in fear as if her screen turned into a bomb. It was torture at first but now I have the earphones in I don't tune into her.

Nice woman and she only works part time but the oddest habit ive ever seen in all my jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Hell is: other people

Pretty big assumption there.

If it's distracting you from your work just mention it to him.

No huge assumption. Just don't want to approach it the wrong way just in case there's an underlying issue. Who knows what people are dealing with.

I'm dealing with a leg jigger, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yea.
    I do that too without thinking about it. I know it annoys my wife a fair bit and sometimes she asks me to stop, but it’s off again in a few minutes without me knowing.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea.
    I do that too without thinking about it. I know it annoys my wife a fair bit and sometimes she asks me to stop, but it’s off again in a few minutes without me knowing.

Oh dear.

Advertisement