Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tripping on one socket

Options
  • 01-10-2018 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭

Ive just noticed that when i plug in the hoover on a socket that ive used before it trips the breaker.
    I have put a lamp in to the socket and it works fine and the hoover to differant sockets and its all ok. It just seems to be that particular socket, so I knocked the power off and replaced the socket itself thinking it might be damaged but its still the same.
    Any ideas what it could be?
    Edit: The wires are doubled over going in to the locations on the socket and the earth wire is sheathed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Plugging in the hoover to that specific socket is causing an overload.

Plug out everything else on that circuit and try the hoover on that socket again. Hoovers draw quite a lot of power, so it might be tipping the circuit over the edge.

Another issue I've seen before is where a socket has been added to a circuit using a wire that's not the appropriate gauge. When you attach a power-heavy device to the circuit (such as a hoover or washing machine), the thinner wire may spark and short, tripping the breaker. Obviously in this case you need to find the culprit and replace the wire with the appropriate gauge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Is it the breaker with the test button that is tripping?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Payton

Thanks for the replies.
    The socket is located 5ft under the circuit board and as far as I know it is in the switch on the board that was the immersion as I dont have an immersion connected for the last 18 months.
    I didn't have a problem before with this socket as its at the front door and I would have used it before with the hoover.
    I've attached a photo of the breaker if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

What type of hoover is it? (is it double insulated or not)

What type of hoover is it? (is it double insulated or not)

It's a Nilfisk Neo. The rating sticker is partly worn away I think a can make out part of the double squares.

• Advertisement

It probably is double insulated, that makes an earth fault considerably less likely (though still possible)

Do you have a portable heater to test in the socket? (something that uses more current than a lamp)

As the socket is so close to the distribution board is it the only one on that circuit? or is the cable also feeding something else?

It probably is double insulated, that makes an earth fault considerably less likely (though still possible)

Do you have a portable heater to test in the socket? (something that uses more current than a lamp)

As the socket is so close to the distribution board is it the only one on that circuit? or is the cable also feeding something else?
    I have ran various tools from the socket and a kangoo drill and a steamer to remove wallpaper.
    Its the only socket on that circuit.

I think you need to get in a REC to test the cable. (unless you are a REC of course)

Payton wrote: »
    I have ran various tools from the socket and a kangoo drill and a steamer to remove wallpaper.
    Its the only socket on that circuit.

Is that since the socket started tripping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

In what way is the immersion disconnected from that breaker, assuming it was connected to it?

Is the cable up to the immersion location still connected?

Does the vacuum cleaner trip the breaker every time? Is it as soon as switched on, or a delay?

Try boiling a kettle at the problem socket.

• Advertisement

Is that since the socket started tripping?
    No I havnt used the socket in a while for anything heavy, there is just a plug in air freshener in at the moment

Bruthal wrote: »
    In what way is the immersion disconnected from that breaker, assuming it was connected to it?

Is the cable up to the immersion location still connected?

Does the vacuum cleaner trip the breaker every time? Is it as soon as switched on, or a delay?

Try boiling a kettle at the problem socket.
    The immersion circuit was disconnected as I dont have an immersion on my hot water cylinder so the electrian who did the wiring for the heating and bonding of the gas put the socket on the 20A switch that was used for the immersion on the distribution board.
    I tried boiling the kettle and it trips out.

Payton wrote: »
    T
    I tried boiling the kettle and it trips out.

This indicates that the problem isn't just with your vacuum cleaner but is caused by a high enough load.

There is probably a neutral earth fault somewhere. With the correct test equipment it will be relatively easy for a REC to find the problem.

Advertisement