Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oven glass door smashed twice in 13 months

Options
  • 01-10-2018 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi

Looking for some advice

I purchased a new integrated Oven (800 euros) which came with three years warranty. Oven was installed May 2017

June 2017 the glass door completely shattered sending the glass everywhere.
    we called the manufacturer, they said it was highly unusual, they came out , engineer said it was highly unusual and replaced it within two weeks.
    we took it at face value, things happen....

Last week the same issue happened, glass door completely shattered sending glass everywhere. Same issue. Lightning rarely strikes twice

This really annoyed me

they were too busy to come out within a week to look at the issue

am i in my legal rights to ask for a full replacement unit.

I dont particularly want another glass door, only for it to break again.

Its not getting hammered in terms of heating, our food use of the oven is quite low.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

A repair should be permanent. on that basis you would be within your rights demanding a replacement or refund.
    Tell them you want a replacement if thats your preference, but at this stage would you rather ask for a refund? get a different make/model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

That's quite dangerous and I'm surprised the manufacturer is not taking it more seriously.

Something is wrong somewhere and I would guess its to do with how the glass is fitted which is causing a weakness over a period of time.

If they simply replaced the glass the last time, I'd be looking at a full replacement door.

If they replaced the door, then it means the issue is elsewhere with the oven and I'd be insisting on a full replacement oven as the current one s not safe.

You could bring it to the attention of cpcc https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/contact/contact-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

What are the circumstances.
    Was the oven on or off.
    Was it Hot or cold.
    Was the door being opened or closed at the time.
    Or is it just random explosion of the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

We had exactly the same thing happen

It's an indesit oven

It was on during the day 16:30 to heat some garlic bread.

Myself and herself we're sitting in the sitting room about 10 o clock that night and it was like a waterfall of glass noise came into the kitchen to find it shattered and glass EVERYWHERE.

They sent someone today to replace the glass he was very cagey when I asked had he fitted one before he said " They sent the glass to me straight away so they have it in stock it must have happened before"

They we're also very cagey on the phone about it happening before.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

emeldc wrote: »
    What are the circumstances.
    Was the oven on or off.
    Was it Hot or cold.
    Was the door being opened or closed at the time.
    Or is it just random explosion of the glass.

answers below

Oven was ON
    Oven was heating up to a temperature of 180c
    The door was fully closed

Glass just smashed sending the shards flying

We are light oven users due to not eating meat

we dont use the door as an extra place to put things leaning on when we are cooking
    we make sure the trays are pushed in completely so they dont hit off the glass
    The door is not used for the kids to stand on and climb up to get biscuits " the engineer asked me "

I've also had the kitchen supplier back today as i couldn't get some of the kitchen presses sliding doors open due to tiny shards of glass stuck in the leavers to pull the doors and i could not get it out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Well if it was me and I was absolutely sure that I was using the oven correctly and that nothing else could have caused the glass to break, I wouldn't be accepting another fix. It would be refund time. Did you do an online search for similar problems with that make and model.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

While replacement is the option after an attempted repair the manufacturer won't be offering (and are not obliged to) that unless this is a case where manufacturer was also the retailer / seller.

Basically you need to go to who sold you the item, and if you didn't do that the first time you will have to prove you had an authorised repair done the first time and get the retailer agree that a repair isn't sufficient.

Basically you need to go to who sold you the item, and if you didn't do that the first time you will have to prove you had an authorised repair done the first time and get the retailer agree that a repair isn't sufficient.

With electronic goods, it's usually better to deal with the manufacturer / distributor as it cuts out inconvenience and delays.

It does not absolve the retailer and in most cases it's done in conjunction with the retailer.

You could insist on the retailer dealing with it directly - but they could insist on you bringing the item into them.

Hence, common sense prevails and manufacturer/distributor acts on behalf of the retailer.

With electronic goods, it's usually better to deal with the manufacturer / distributor as it cuts out inconvenience and delays.

I disagree with this statement, it's usually more convenient especially with Apple and the likes but we are in danger of weakening our consumer rights* by not engaging the process that typically has much better recourse options than those offered by a manufacturer.

* here I am referring in a more general sense, if we let them push us this route it will enter the mindset that this is the only option or the best option, as you already seem to believe.
    It does not absolve the retailer and in most cases it's done in conjunction with the retailer.

Agreed, however OP did not engage with the retailer, the manufacturer won't engage with the retailer...so it's not done in conjunction in this case and the retailer has no knowledge of the repair attempts thus far and OP is looking for advice on the next step. That's why I detailed the next step is to engage with the retailer.

Remember, OP is looking for advice on the permancy of a repair and a replacecement of the unit due to the issues they've encountered:
    am i in my legal rights to ask for a full replacement unit.

When you go to a manufacturer directly without engaging a retailer you have not engaged on your consumer rights, you have engaged on a warranty or something similar offered by the manufacturer. You don't have the same recourse options if a repair fails (they will vary from device to device/company to company etc.) that you have under consumer rights, you will have whatever is agreed in the warranty.
    You could insist on the retailer dealing with it directly - but they could insist on you bringing the item into them.

Hence, common sense prevails and manufacturer/distributor acts on behalf of the retailer.

I've never encountered a retailer who would insist on an oven being brought into them, common sense usually prevails. ;)

They will, as you have mentioned, engage with the maufacturer for the repair and by doing things this way you are engaging on consumer rights not warranty or guarantee.

• Advertisement

I've never encountered a retailer who would insist on an oven being brought into them, common sense usually prevails. ;)

They will, as you have mentioned, engage with the maufacturer for the repair and by doing things this way you are engaging on consumer rights not warranty or guarantee.
    Exactly, common sense prevails and when it comes to bulky electronic goods the manufacturer or agent usually takes the responsibility on behalf of the retailer, but the retailer is still the entity that has ultimate responsibility.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Exactly, common sense prevails and when it comes to bulky electronic goods the manufacturer or agent usually takes the responsibility on behalf of the retailer, but the retailer is still the entity that has ultimate responsibility.

Exactly, so why even reply to my post. Retailer has ultimate responsibility and the clear next step is to go to the retailer. OP should have looped them in from point A só that they would have proof with the retailer that a repair has already failed, now they've got to sort this extra complication and relay all the evidence and prove it.

If the OP wants this sorted they now have to go the retailer and inform them of the need for a replacement.

When OP goes in and requests this they will say "we will repair as this is the first issue". Why? Because they have no idea that OP went to the manufacturer for a repair.

So OP informs them, now suddenly the whole thing is *more* complicated because not engaging with the retailer at all in the first place.

It gets sorted (more than likely).

Now what happens if OP never goes to the retailer? The manufacturer replaces the item? Unlikely, even if they do when is this item covered from, the retailer is now out of the loop even more.

You're giving bad advice by saying people shouldn't engage with their superior consumer rights and instead use the manufacturer warranty / guarantee.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Retailer always, manufacturer NEVER, end of.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

When the original problem occurred did both inner and outer glass shatter, did the engineer repair it with a complete door or with new inner and outer glass panels? it may be down to the glass fitting too tightly in the frame or the glass itself, glass shattering happens occasionally as I believe glass manufacturers have cut back a bit in lead content in the glass because of the price of lead

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

i went to the retailer and explained the situation.

The retailers customer service team called after i spoke to the sales guy in the shop, explained the issue to them.
    They spoke to the manufacturer, meanwhile i was also chasing the manufacturer.

The manufacturer then called me ( after 16 calls to them and explaining the issue to each new person that answered)
    This lady who worked on the "customer resolution team" stated they are aware of an issue with these particular ovens which was uncovered last year and they have found a solution to remedy the issue

I explained to them that this makes the issue worse, as know they knew of a fault, had my details on file and never contacted me to repair.

They said they will repair, i said i will fight them all the way and i wasn't taking no for an answer.
    They put me on hold, afterwards came back and said they would offer a full refund through the retailer.

I went back to the retailer that evening with a returns number" the manufacturer had given me for this particular retailer.
    Ordered a different oven, retailer came out next day installed the new one FOC and took away the other oven.

case closed.

From my experience going through this, you need to have time on your hands to chase them every single minute as they will shirk their responsibility

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well done, you did not let them wear you down.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement