Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Thermostat in Single Zone Heating System

Options
  • 01-10-2018 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

I am considering switching to Electric Ireland to avail of the Nest Thermostat offer.

My house has a gas boiler with a single zone (for both hot water and radiators) central heating system controlled by a simple timer switch. There is a manual lever to send water to the radiators, which I open in winter and close in summer.

Will the Nest Thermostat work in this kind of system. What happens when I close the lever in the summer, will I still get hot water? I worried that the thermostat will just not trigger the boiler to turn on becasue the summer time house temperature is too high.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi capistrano,

Thanks for your interest in Electric Ireland.

We can advise that the Nest Learning Smart Thermostat covers one heating zone and hot water.

For more detail however, the Home Services team are the people to speak to about the Nest thermostat and its capabilities/compability with certain types of heating systems. They are available until 6pm on 1850 372 333.

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Thanks, but I didn't get a clear answer from the Home Services team. The agent I spoke to said the Nest would control the heating and hot water separately but I don't see how that's possible in my house where the hot water for baths and radiators are on the same system with a manual lever to cut off water to the radiators in the summer.

Can I make the Nest work like a dumb timer switch? So in the summer I can set it to come on for a certain period of time to heat the water and then go off, regardless of the temperature in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi capistrano,

We regret that the Home Services team were unable to give you more detail in this regard. I'm afraid we do not have that information either here in the Social Media department. A technician would be the best person, but we understand you wish to make your decision first. So we recommend contacting Nest Ireland itself regarding the functionality you described.

Best regards,
    Una

Advertisement