Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying house in Ballyhaunis

• 01-10-2018 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

I have absolutely no affiliation or connection to Co. Mayo or Ballyhaunis

I recently viewed a house on Station Rise [that's the street name]in Ballyhaunis, its quite close to the bus/train station

Would anyone know anything about the area of town in which this house is located?
    I noticed there was a few more homes for sale on that street

The asking price of the house appears reasonable considering the condition and what its offers

Also if anyone is familiar or has information or experience of living in the town of Ballyhaunis itself I would greatly appreciate it.

According to what I read on a search the region of Ballyhaunis has a 60% non Irish population

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Have you tried the Mayo forum. Not sure how busy it is but I don't remember Ballyhaunis being mentioned on here before

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

OP, I've moved your post to the Mayo forum where you may get a better response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I noticed that every second building in that town seems to be for sale, I wondered to myself why some of the people complaining about living in Dublin don't buy a house there and commute on the train....

It is a kip of a town devoid of any culture (I am sure someone will be along to correct me) but has potential if used as a commute base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I noticed that every second building in that town seems to be for sale, I wondered to myself why some of the people complaining about living in Dublin don't buy a house there and commute on the train....

Seems like a no-brainer, up at about 5:30 am and home at about 8:30 pm... zero chance of making work by 9 unless you're within a short enough hop of Hueston and then you're goosed if you miss the evening train... That's before the added bonus of nearly 5 hours on the train, 5 days a week.

Probably better commuter Towns out there.

To answer OP's question. Maybe have a look at google street view to get a bit of a feel for the place. It wouldn't be top of my list personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

supernova5 wrote: »
    I have absolutely no affiliation or connection to Co. Mayo or Ballyhaunis

I recently viewed a house on Station Rise [that's the street name]in Ballyhaunis, its quite close to the bus/train station

Would anyone know anything about the area of town in which this house is located?
    I noticed there was a few more homes for sale on that street

The asking price of the house appears reasonable considering the condition and what its offers

Also if anyone is familiar or has information or experience of living in the town of Ballyhaunis itself I would greatly appreciate it.

According to what I read on a search the region of Ballyhaunis has a 60% non Irish population

If I remember from my own seeking days, there is a big Mosque there? which will influence the population stats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Half of my family are from Ballyhaunis, but i've lived in dublin all my life except for visits to relations.

I had to go to a funeral a few years ago and was surprised by how run down it had gotten, most of the shops gone and lot of places just derelict.

And how far do you need to commute for work considering public transport is a joke for shift workers, even in Dublin, so have you checked timetables etc to see if the area is even suitable for your needs?
    The homes are going cheap for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

PARlance wrote: »

Thank you for this... I was seeking a rental when I was looking nearby.

Depends what you seek from a town OP. It is near enough to Claremorris and Castlebar. The quietness of the town itslef would not worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 yesnow

I'd steer clear of Station Rise, it's a very rough estate with lots of travellers. That's why there's so many homes on offer there.

Advertisement