Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a laptop in the UK...... problems!?

Options
  • 01-10-2018 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

This black Friday, I'm thinking of going up north as everything would be cheaper up there.

I've my eye on a Surface Pro in Currys PC World which is £749 (GBP). If I were to buy it up the north, and with them being the UK, would I encounter any problems while setting it up back home in Dublin? e.g. Windows activation etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭DopeTech

mark2912 wrote: »
    This black Friday, I'm thinking of going up north as everything would be cheaper up there.

I've my eye on a Surface Pro in Currys PC World which is £749 (GBP). If I were to buy it up the north, and with them being the UK, would I encounter any problems while setting it up back home in Dublin? e.g. Windows activation etc..
    You can activate it wherever you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You wouldn't have problems activating or using Windows. There could be an issue with the warranty if something goes wrong though:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/4036294/surface-surface-warranty-frequently-asked-questions
    Is my warranty or Microsoft Complete applicable outside the country where I purchased my Surface?

No, the Surface standard limited warranty and Microsoft Complete are applicable only in the country where you purchased your Surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,446 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Doesn't the warranty apply anywhere in the EU - single market and all that?

The rules on the single market would include the condition that a consumer's rights would not be diminished because they purchased in one EU country and used the goods in another EU country.

Given that the OP would be buying the item while the UK is still in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mark2912

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    You can activate it wherever you like.
    You wouldn't have problems activating or using Windows. There could be an issue with the warranty if something goes wrong though:
    coylemj wrote: »
    Doesn't the warranty apply anywhere in the EU - single market and all that?

The rules on the single market would include the condition that a consumer's rights would not be diminished because they purchased in one EU country and used the goods in another EU country.

Given that the OP would be buying the item while the UK is still in the EU.

Thanks everybody for the replies :D

I was just a bit concerned after being told by a member of staff in PC World that a Microsoft Office license purchased in the UK would not be able to be activated here in the republic.... I just thought that it'd be the same for Windows itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,446 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I was just a bit concerned after being told by a member of staff in PC World that a Microsoft Office license purchased in the UK would not be able to be activated here in the republic.... I just thought that it'd be the same for Windows itself.

Caveat Emptor to the power of ten when you deal with PC World sales people. Let's just say they have a certain reputation. Please tell us you didn't fall for that lie.

Single market rules say Microsoft cannot pull that stunt - a licence you buy anywhere in the single market zone (the EU) cannot be hobbled so that it's use is restricted to one or other country but not Ireland.

I'll give you an example..... when the region code system was established for movie DVDs, the studios wanted one region code for UK/Ireland and another for mainland Europe. The EU said 'non' - one market, one region code.

Did you buy the MS Office licence from PC World here based on what the sales guy told you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mark2912

coylemj wrote: »
    Caveat Emptor to the power of ten when you deal with PC World sales people. Let's just say they have a certain reputation. Please tell us you didn't fall for that lie.

Single market rules say Microsoft cannot pull that stunt - a licence you buy anywhere in the single market zone (the EU) cannot be hobbled so that it's use is restricted to one or other country but not Ireland.

Did you buy the MS Office licence from PC World here based on what the sales guy told you?

Nope, I didn't purchase anything yet.

Also, does anybody know if the Surface Pro (i5) will go down in price anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Thanks everybody for the replies :D

Not that anyone in PC World would ever tell a person Porkies.... :rolleyes::rolleyes: Such Porkies being designed to engender a sale in that shop by that person.....:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

By the time Black Friday comes, Euro: Sterling will be close to 1:1 if May doesn't sort out the Brexit debacle in the meantime.

So, if you factor in the cost of travel, and are still getting a significant saving by going North, go for it.. Otherwise, buy local so your VAT is paid to Irl inc., rather than H.M. Revenue...

Advertisement