Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drowning in Plastic - BBC 1

• 01-10-2018 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone watching this right now? Very disturbing viewing.

Was very distressing to see those small chicks regurgitating so many pieces of plastic.

Fair play to the BBC highlighting this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not watching but also worth noting Sky News have been banging this drum for months as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

People are finally becoming aware of just how many problems plastic causing.

I wish the Government would ban plastic packaging. Businesses would come up with alternatives pretty sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Plastic is one of the greatest inventions of all time, the number of applications is endless. Just thought I’d point this out for some balance, because you sure as hell aren’t going to get balance on Sky news or the BBC

vladmydad wrote: »
    Plastic is one of the greatest inventions of all time, the number of applications is endless. Just thought I’d point this out for some balance, because you sure as hell aren’t going to get balance on Sky news or the BBC

Well single use plastic in food packaging has turned out to be a massive mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Absolutely, we as humans always misuse things. I’m not saying there are no problems, of course there is. But we cannot lose sight of the enormous benefits of plastic whilst also dealing with the negatives.

• Advertisement

Yeah plastic obviously has it's uses but I'd love to see it banned in the food business. These kind of shows highlight the amount of plastic bottles in use.

Coffee cups with their plastic coating is another huge problem. Is it something like 1 million disposable cups a day in Ireland are used? It's just shocking.

And whoever thought it was a good idea to use micro plastics in beauty products like exfoliating creams. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Since 'the market' created this problem, it will solve it to, with all its brilliance, so relax folks, it's under control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

vladmydad wrote: »
    Absolutely, we as humans always misuse things. I’m not saying there are no problems, of course there is. But we cannot lose sight of the enormous benefits of plastic whilst also dealing with the negatives.

The negatives being of course micro plastics that are already in the food chain and eventually causing long illness to pretty much every living thing on the planet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, I'm super depressed after watching that!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thing on BBC4 now about landfill. They've dug up a site which was buried in the 80s. Polyester clothes haven't broken down one bit. All the plastics have not broken down one bit. Over 30 years in the ground.

Newspapers still legible too. Guess landfill actually preserves everything instead of it breaking down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Since 'the market' created this problem, it will solve it to, with all its brilliance, so relax folks, it's under control

Probably wouldn't hurt if 'the market' got a bit of a legislative nudge though would it?
    To speed things along a bit like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Micro beads in shower gels need to be banned, any company still making them around the world should be boycotted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wheety wrote: »
    Thing on BBC4 now about landfill. They've dug up a site which was buried in the 80s. Polyester clothes haven't broken down one bit. All the plastics have not broken down one bit. Over 30 years in the ground.

Newspapers still legible too. Guess landfill actually preserves everything instead of it breaking down.

Lack of light and oxygen is a great preservative - you'd have though people would have copped on to that from archaeology!
    wexie wrote: »
    Probably wouldn't hurt if 'the market' got a bit of a legislative nudge though would it?
    To speed things along a bit like

Wanderer78 was being sarcastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Micro beads in shower gels need to be banned, any company still making them around the world should be boycotted.

Sorry to be naive but is there a way to know which ones are free of the micro beads ?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Sorry to be naive but is there a way to know which ones are free of the micro beads ?

check here : http://www.beatthemicrobead.org/product-lists/

not a lot of info there though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

wexie wrote: »
    check here : http://www.beatthemicrobead.org/product-lists/

not a lot of info there though

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

wexie wrote:
    Probably wouldn't hurt if 'the market' got a bit of a legislative nudge though would it? To speed things along a bit like

Oh, 'interfering with the market', that's bad!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Oh, 'interfering with the market', that's bad!

It's a lot earlier now and my sarcasm detector is working

(I think :o)

Advertisement