Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

apple tree recommendations

Options
  • 01-10-2018 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

I'm going to sow my first trees in my garden and have decieded on some apple trees. I'm looking for some recommendations, I've looked online at suppliers and there is countless varieties. I would love an apple like a pink lady apple. Juicy firm crisp red apple. Also any advice what I need to do planting to get good results.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

I have found Gala nice and similar to what you describe you are looking for. Make sure to put in good support for them to avoid wind damage while the roots get established. Mine are in an exposed spot and some are growing now at a bit of an angle rather than straight. Also when they are starting to fruit properly you might need to take off some of the apples as one of my trees had so much fruit on one branch this year that it broke under the weight. The apples were a bit sour in the first couple of years for some reason but are much nicer and more juicy in recent years. The fruit don't store very well so no point planting more than would provide what you would use over a few weeks. Got my Gala trees from Lidle or Aldi for about 6euro each as they are a common variety and these stores usually get fruit trees in as one of their weeks seasonal stock in Autumn or Spring but I think the varieties they get in can vary.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Fuji apples are to die for. I'll look up more info about them tomorrow and then I'll post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

Thanks for all the great info. I will look out for those. When planting apple trees do I just sow a couple of the same varieties together for pollination

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

eoin.d wrote: »
    Thanks for all the great info. I will look out for those. When planting f2f o I just sow a couple of the same varieties together for pollination

https://www.orangepippintrees.eu/pollinationchecker.aspx?v=1127

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Rootstock choice is really important with fruit trees. The bigger the rootstock, the more difficult it is to pick the fruit or prune the tree, but the more resistant the tree will be to drought and disease. The smallest dwarf rootstocks need staking, but this is less awkward than it sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my local garden shop sold me a rev. wilks and a james grieve on a dwarf rootstock finally cropping after 7 years

Advertisement