Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gaming format incoming.... From Google!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So similar to how Switch is getting it in Japan. Wonder how much it would cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

In the Nvidia Geoforce Now beta at the moment. Works perfectly, the first service to work this good so I've high hopes for streaming again.

Google have the infrastructure to make it work I think and then some. I'd be curious about how Sony deliver PS Now? Do they use their own set up or use MS, Amazon , or Googles? I'm thinking the do it in house given the results.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Personally, when I was made aware they had a format incoming I had hoped for a physical console.
    But I imagine this will wind up being a format that will host all sorts of streaming content, and not just games.
    I don't know if latency isn't going to kill it though, then they wouldn't be investing if they hadn't got faith in it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Personally, when I was made aware they had a format incoming I had hoped for a physical console.
    But I imagine this will wind up being a format that will host all sorts of streaming content, and not just games.
    I don't know if latency isn't going to kill it though, then they wouldn't be investing if they hadn't got faith in it.

To be honest, the companies that currently have streaming services aren't known for having data centres around the world. I've always thought that the only companies that could crack proper game streaming were Amazon, Google and Microsoft, mainly because they have most of the infrastructure there already.

Be interesting to see how quickly Microsoft respond to this by showing more of the game streaming project that they've been working on for the last few years, I think that'll show how serious they take this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Google also have their own broadband service which gives them a big advantage, although it'll be awhile before their broadband is mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

CatInABox wrote: »
    To be honest, the companies that currently have streaming services aren't known for having data centres around the world. I've always thought that the only companies that could crack proper game streaming were Amazon, Google and Microsoft, mainly because they have most of the infrastructure there already.

Be interesting to see how quickly Microsoft respond to this by showing more of the game streaming project that they've been working on for the last few years, I think that'll show how serious they take this.

I’d be shocked if we didn’t see the new Xbox next summer with a plan to release soon after. They will be anxious to get out first. Expect it to stream and play locally using utomik type tech to play after downloading a small portion of the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I’d be shocked if we didn’t see the new Xbox next summer with a plan to release soon after. They will be anxious to get out first. Expect it to stream and play locally using utomik type tech to play after downloading a small portion of the game.

Yeah, but I'd shocked if we didn't hear more about the streaming service aspect of it at X018 in November.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, but I'd shocked if we didn't hear more about the streaming service aspect of it at X018 in November.

And Microsoft responds. Project xCloud goes official, it's Microsoft's streaming service. Public trials next year to start. See here.

Looks like they're putting four Xboxs into a single server blade. Impressive, but I'd still be concerned about scalability with that.

Advertisement