Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Climote Charges

• 01-10-2018 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Just looking at getting our old boiler replaced with Airtricity and considering having a climote installed at the same time as that's the one they've recommended.

It seems there's a monthly or annual charge for climote while the nest and hive are free. But Airtricity seem to use climote.

Can anyone shed light on why they are using this one, why there's a charge for this but not the others, and can I opt for one of the other ones (nest or hive) instead?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Climote is rubbish, it is based on SMS messages, you have an annual charge for the SIM of about €49 the last time I used it.
    The interface is like something designed by a hungover first year student at the end of rag week and is a lazy replication of the old fashioned mechanical timers with the segments that you click in and out.
    The app is very unreliable and it is a bit of a lottery as to whether your changes have happened or not.
    Basically avoid it, I am looking to change it for something that works reliably and has a bit of flexibility without an annual sub for a substandard service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

fenris wrote: »
    Climote is rubbish, it is based on SMS messages, you have an annual charge for the SIM of about €49 the last time I used it.
    I've signed up with EI, awaiting installation later this month. Yearly sub is now €19. And I thought it could be operated over wifi... Maybe I'm wrong. But there's an app and can be programmed on laptop also. My main reason for getting one is that it can be used remotely. If it's really rubbish, I'll switch to something else next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

fenris wrote:
    Climote is rubbish, it is based on SMS messages, you have an annual charge for the SIM of about €49 the last time I used it. The interface is like something designed by a hungover first year student at the end of rag week and is a lazy replication of the old fashioned mechanical timers with the segments that you click in and out. The app is very unreliable and it is a bit of a lottery as to whether your changes have happened or not. Basically avoid it, I am looking to change it for something that works reliably and has a bit of flexibility without an annual sub for a substandard service.

I have climote a few years now. 19 euro per year. The main advantage is that the climote can control 3 Seperate zones. I believe that the nest can only control 2 zones on one nest

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I have climote a few years now. 19 euro per year. The main advantage is that the climote can control 3 Seperate zones. I believe that the nest can only control 2 zones on one nest

How are you finding it? I've 3 zones also so couldnt get the Nest. Does climote work off wifi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

toby2111 wrote: »
    How are you finding it? I've 3 zones also so couldnt get the Nest. Does climote work off wifi?

Yes,it has an app that you can use via wifi or you can also text the unit to control it.

I have used it for over 3 years now and have never had any issues with it.The sub is €19 a year.

• Advertisement

The app can use wifi but the climote unit cannot so it has a SIM and depends on SMS, that is why it takes a few minutes to get info on the app when you try to check or change anything. I have it for 5 years as part of a heating upgrade and find it unreliable unless you are using the main unit. Haven't renewed the annual payment as there is no benefit in a system that you cannot trust.

The app can use wifi but the climote unit cannot so it has a SIM and depends on SMS, that is why it takes a few minutes to get info on the app when you try to check or change anything. I have it for 5 years as part of a heating upgrade and find it unreliable unless you are using the main unit. Haven't renewed the annual payment as there is no benefit in a system that you cannot trust.
    Can you use the app to turn heating on? Or set schedules?

Sounds like you might have an issue with yours tbh.It only ever takes less than 10 seconds for me to check status or send a command.

toby2111 wrote:

I find it very good. The app was slow at first. It used to take 10 to 15 seconds for the climote to respond to the app. The climote unit gets several software updates per year. As a result the unit now responds to the app within a second or so. It's very reliable and does what it's supposed to do everytime.

I see another poster doesn't rate the climote and finds it unreliable but as they said they don't pay for the service. I assume by not paying for the full service that their unit hasn't updated the software in a few years.

I just put my heating on boost now and it took 3 seconds from the time I tapped the phone to the boiler firing up.

• Advertisement

Very handy when you are on a long drive home on a cold winter's night!

How many heating schedules can you set per day? Is it max 3 per zone?

toby2111 wrote:
    How many heating schedules can you set per day? Is it max 3 per zone?

max 3 per zone on the climote.

I gave up on the app mid last year, constant login problems, app crashing and burning battery in the background. Phone is a Samsung S8 so not under spec.
    You can only set three range events daily and cannot set different temperatures at different times so it is actually less flexible than the mechanical timers.
    So realistically sending a manual sms is probably the most effective way to use it.
    Welcome to the 90's!
    There must be better out there in this day and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Thanks all for the replies. I have the new boiler installation happening next week. I can live with €19 per year if that's the only charge.

Still wondering why this unit uses a SIM however, and not wifi like the other options available

I think that it is just that they have a stock of old technology Andy's needs too be used up. The jump to anything more modern is possibly more than they feel they need to make as a new version will canabilise their existing market share and pitch them directly against the increasingly popular smarthome type products.

fenris wrote:
    I think that it is just that they have a stock of old technology Andy's needs too be used up. The jump to anything more modern is possibly more than they feel they need to make as a new version will canabilise their existing market share and pitch them directly against the increasingly popular smarthome type products.

Climote can control 3 zones. Nest can't do this without buying extra units. Climote does not seem out of date to me in that sense.

Isn't the reason behind the sim to collect the 19 annual charge? If they charge through the app store then they pay fees & commission.

Also believe it or not there are plenty of homes in Ireland without WiFi but have central heating. Climote should work in almost any home with or without WiFi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

Can the climote be set to kick automaticly in at low temperatures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

I have a Climote.
    Any idea where the charge for it is billed through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timfy

karmaan wrote:
    Can the climote be set to kick automaticly in at low temperatures?

Yes, it has a built in 'stat

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement

Works with Alex now too I'm told

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timfy

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Works with Alex now too I'm told

Yes, I can confirm that... also IFTTT

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Colm_D

Timfy wrote: »
    ... also IFTTT

Searched IFTTT, couldn't find it. Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭cpb

Climote website selling a wireless termostat has anyone any experience of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Colm_D wrote: »
    Searched IFTTT, couldn't find it. Care to elaborate?

If This Then That

https://ifttt.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

recently got one through electric ireland,90 yoyos, working fine

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭cpb

karmaan wrote: »
    recently got one through electric ireland,90 yoyos, working fine

Did you set it up yourself? On my climote in the temp setting it just has N/A
    does that mean the thermostat is not compatible climote too old?

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

cpb wrote: »
    Did you set it up yourself? On my climote in the temp setting it just has N/A
    does that mean the thermostat is not compatible climote too old?

From the Climote website: "climote remote thermostats are only compatible with software version 104 and higher."

You can log into your device on their website with your email and device number to see what version you have:

Climote.jpg

I've had the Climote installed recently, I think there's an on-board thermostat, but due to mine being installed in an inappropriate spot, the device thermostat was deactivated in place of the remote stat. Grand job. Not sure if the addition of a wireless stat requires configuration, if you chat to your energy provider they'll probably know? Electric Ireland installed mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

zippy84 wrote: »

I've had the Climote installed recently, I think there's an on-board thermostat, but due to mine being installed in an inappropriate spot, the device thermostat was deactivated in place of the remote stat.

Hi,

Was the remote stat a specific climote product or some other brand?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

The thermostat is by Climote: https://www.climote.ie/cart-3/

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Colm_D

Wheety wrote: »
    If This Then That

https://ifttt.com/

Yes, know where ifttt is, but within ifttt search for Climote returns no results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

This is correct. IFTTT can not communicate directly with Climote.

But, you can use IFTTT to set up widget buttons on your phone screen to send various SMS commands to Climote. I have three, Boost All 1, Boost Water 1, and Cancel All Boost. It's very handy. Much easier than using the app or manual SMS.

You can also do the same with Google Home by setting up a voice triggered routine that will send a text to your Climote. "hey google, turn the heating on" , turns all my zones on for one hour. "hey google, heat the water...", you get the idea.

This works great when out of the house, but, if you are at home and within earshot of a google speaker then the speaker will activate the routine instead of your phone (you can't override this) and as your google speaker can't send texts, the routine will not work. It's a nuisance and something I hope Google address soon.

Advertisement