Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New ewes

• 02-10-2018 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I bought 10 new ewes (3 and 4 year olds) last week to go with my existing 30 and intend to let the ram(1 only) out to them all next Saturday. The field that they're going to be in is about 8 acres and I know from experience that the new ewes will stay in their own little group away from the main flock. My question is, will the ram move from one group to the other to service the ewes or will he just stay with one group or the other and some of them won't be serviced at all?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

clonagh wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I bought 10 new ewes (3 and 4 year olds) last week to go with my existing 30 and intend to let the ram(1 only) out to them all next Saturday. The field that they're going to be in is about 8 acres and I know from experience that the new ewes will stay in their own little group away from the main flock. My question is, will the ram move from one group to the other to service the ewes or will he just stay with one group or the other and some of them won't be serviced at all?
    Thanks.

He'll have no problem covering both lots in eight acres

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭clonagh

Thanks Wrangler. He'll have a raddle harness on so I'll be able to monitor progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

Hi All,
    Thanks.

Do mind me asking how much you paid for them?

€140

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

€140

Didnt think 4 yer old ewes would make that much. Have 10 to sell and was hoping for €80. Am I mad?

• Advertisement

I did overpay a bit but it's kind of a long story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Ewes will go till ram when the time comes wouldn't be worried on that end off it... €140 steep alright seen plenty good hoggets going for that money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Lambman wrote: »
    Ewes will go till ram when the time comes wouldn't be worried on that end off it... €140 steep alright seen plenty good hoggets going for that money.

Plenty of good hoggetts going for allot less than that

Advertisement