Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethics & Matchplay

Options
  • 02-10-2018 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭

You are playing a guy in a singles match...at some point during the match he breaks his putter in anger.

Does that change your approach to gimmies?

Does your gimme approach change? 42 votes

No
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, now only give tiny putts
    40% 17 votes
    Yes, now I give nothing
    59% 25 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Nothing better than getting your opponent take a 1 or 2 foot putt when he leasts expects it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

GreeBo wrote: »
    You are playing a guy in a singles match...at some point during the match he breaks his putter in anger.

Not really, any putt I'd have given to him before he broke his putter i would expect him to hole with a wedge anyway.

And if he has a nasty 2 footer across a slope then he wouldn't be getting it off of me, broken putter or not

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Nothing better than getting your opponent take a 1 or 2 foot putt when he leasts expects it!

If I broke my putter (which would never happen!) I'd expect to have to hole out everything.

Very easy miss a 5 inch putt if you are trying to belly a wedge or use a 3i or something

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

he breaks it in anger, he's lost control and needs to take his punishment. I voted only give tiny putts. i.e inches

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

I went with option 2. Tiny putts being 6 inches (if its a club matchplay)

Interclub match.....option 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I voted option 2 but in hindsight maybe option 3. He's already broken his putter, maybe he might break another few clubs after a missed 6 incher

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

Playing in interclub matches we where directed to give nothing . . but ultimately up to ourselves . . obviously if someone has 2 putts from 2 feet, then pick up and walk on. anything outside a grip length is not a gimme :) 

Anyone that gets annoyed about not getting a gimme is stupid. . if they feel it's a gimme then they should have no problem knocking it in ! !

Rikand wrote: »
    I voted option 2 but in hindsight maybe option 3. He's already broken his putter, maybe he might break another few clubs after a missed 6 incher

I went option 3, if you cant control your temper to the point where you are breaking clubs then I'm going to use that against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Russman

Good question. It depends on the context.
    In internal club match against someone I know, then I'll probably be decent and ignore the fact that he doesn't have a putter, in terms of what I'd give or not.
    Important inter-club gig, then its option 2 I think. I just don't think I could be a cnut and ask a guy to putt out from 6 inches no matter what the circumstances tbh. Its not that important.

Russman wrote: »
    Good question. It depends on the context.
    In internal club match against someone I know, then I'll probably be decent and ignore the fact that he doesn't have a putter, in terms of what I'd give or not.
    Important inter-club gig, then its option 2 I think. I just don't think I could be a cnut and ask a guy to putt out from 6 inches no matter what the circumstances tbh.

I think intra club I would cut the person some slack...assuming I knew/liked them :)
    Russman wrote: »
    Its not that important.
    Important enough to break a putter apparently!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

If the putter is broken in half are you allowed to kneel taking putts with the half putter?

I voted option 1. I wouldn't give anything over 18 inches anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If someone breaks a putter in anger I'd wonder are they playing the wrong game.

neddynasty wrote: »
    If the putter is broken in half are you allowed to kneel taking putts with the half putter?

I voted option 1. I wouldn't give anything over 18 inches anyway.

Right now you cant, but next year you will be able to.

Thinking about it more, I think I'd make him putt just to watch someone squatting down with a 1 foot putter to take a 6 inch putt :D

I think intra club I would cut the person some slack...assuming I knew/liked them :)

So it actually happened?

So it actually happened?

Not to me?

Not to me?

Is that a question to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Not to me?
    Is that a question to me?

The chuckle brothers alive & well :D

well... kind of anyway :)

The chuckle brothers alive & well :D

well... kind of anyway :)

I wasn't sure how to respond to be honest. :o

Is it possible Greebo put a question mark at the end of a sentence instead of a full stop?

I wasn't sure how to respond to be honest. :o

Is it possible Greebo put a question mark at the end of a sentence instead of a full stop?

I dunno, you should ask him!

Your post seemed to imply that the incident had happened to me...so I replied that it hadn't happened to me, but wasn't sure if you were actually asking me or not.

Man this is confusing.:confused::o

This makes it apparent that it didn't happen to you but that it may have actually happened to someone else, hence why I asked the question "So it actually happened?"

Not that confusing really.

Now your response of "Not to me?" was really confusing:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Did this happen?

Either way - after that I'd make him hole everything.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Did this happen?

Either way - after that I'd make him hole everything.

Not to Greebo???????

This makes it apparent that it didn't happen to you but that it may have actually happened to someone else,

No it doesnt!

The whole premise is that if someone was to break their putter then it was obviously important enough for them to break their putter.
    hence why I asked the question "So it actually happened?"

Not that confusing really.

Now your response of "Not to me?" was really confusing:confused:
    My response was because I didnt/dont understand why you thought my post meant that it had actually happened.

No it doesnt!

The whole premise is that if someone was to break their putter then it was obviously important enough for them to break their putter.

My response was because I didnt/dont understand why you thought my post meant that it had actually happened.

Oh man,

When you replied to Russman saying that "it was important enough to break a putter apparently" then it is reasonable to assume that it actually happened.

In future just make it a bit clearer whether the scenario is real or hypothetical so we can avoid any confusion, thanks

When you replied to Russman saying that "it was important enough to break a putter apparently" then it is reasonable to assume that it actually happened.
    Not at all. In a thread about someone breaking a putter, the opening premise is that a putter has broken.
    Russman said golf is not that important, I said, in the context of this thread, it is important enough to break a putter.

In future just make it a bit clearer whether the scenario is real or hypothetical so we can avoid any confusion, thanks

It was clear until you assumed something for no reason.

Not at all. In a thread about someone breaking a putter, the opening premise is that a putter has broken.
    Russman said golf is not that important, I said, in the context of this thread, it is important enough to break a putter.

It was clear until you assumed something for no reason.

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

A gimmie is a big psychological thing, first time i played Barton Cup my playing partner pulled me aside and made it clear that we should expect to putt everything out like it was stroke play. If he hadn't said that I would have been very surprised the next day when our opponents wouldn't even give 3 or 4 inch putts. We beat them on the 16th.

If somebody breaks their putter intentionally that is their problem and you should not be put at a disadvantage because of it. Think of if they broke their driver intentionally....

Advertisement