Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury - December 1st

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Draw
    I have no idea how you can say that when it was a Mexican ref who gave one of the most bizzare scores in a world title fight in recent years.

113-113 isn't a mile off what would be a fair result, but 115-111 is idiocy.

Yeah but if the Mexican has scored it 113-113 as well then it’s still a draw.

Draw
    If Tyson doesn’t go of the rails again, then surely he’ll be fitter and sharper for the rematch?
    The knockdowns cost him last night and if he can avoid them he cruises to victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Draw
    Yeah but if the Mexican has scored it 113-113 as well then it’s still a draw.

But that is something that could be argued pretty fairly, as some of the earlier rounds didn't have much going on. I gave it 114-112, one more 10-9 rounds to wilder and it's 113-113, if it ended up that way on any card I'd find it hard to say it's a terrible decision, I'd disagree with it, but it's still not a terrible decision. But to say it was 115-111, even with the w 10-8's is a joke.

Draw
    But that is something that could be argued pretty fairly, as some of the earlier rounds didn't have much going on. I gave it 114-112, one more 10-9 rounds to wilder and it's 113-113, if it ended up that way on any card I'd find it hard to say it's a terrible decision, I'd disagree with it, but it's still not a terrible decision. But to say it was 115-111, even with the w 10-8's is a joke.

I agree, I scored it the same way as you and said on here that the Mexican’s scoring was a disgrace.
    But the point is that overall a draw is not a terrible result.
    Those knockdowns cost Fury Badly. Without them he would have won 118-110.

I actually thought he won both rounds after being knocked down and wouldn’t have been surprised if one or more judges has scored them as draws but judges go into auto 10-8 scoring when there’s a KD

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Unbelievable performance by fury last night, for a guy to lose a 1/3 of his body weight since this time last year, not have a meaningful fight in 3 years, to take the most dangerous heavy weight around atm to school over 12 rounds is incredible

How 1 of the judges scored the 1st 4 rounds to Wilder is an even bigger shock than that though, mind boggling!

Fair play to Wilder, though, those wild swings are the biggest equaliser is boxing atm and under a different ref Tyson might not have got those extra few seconds to recover from that knockdown in the 12th

• Advertisement

Draw
    Fury absolutely schooled him for much of the fight. Even Wilder assumed he had lost.

But you get knocked down twice by the champ in his country and you'll struggle to win on points. That's just boxing.

Surprised that Wilder gassed considering his weight and he actually started slow.

Fury looked confident towards the end. Think he'll do Wilder again in the rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Paulie saying the result is a joke and that the mexican will never work in boxing again:

https://imgur.com/gallery/rSvCtFD

Data taken from 134 scorers using the Judgecard mobile app:

https://imgur.com/a/T21kgC3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

If Tyson doesn’t go of the rails again, then surely he’ll be fitter and sharper for the rematch?
    The knockdowns cost him last night and if he can avoid them he cruises to victory.

Anyone who has ever fought Wilder goes into the ring with the intention of avoiding his knockdowns. Fury done better than almost every other opponent in the fact that he got up after them.
    Tyson knew about Wilder's powerful right hand before the fight but now he's been up close and personal with it he'll be more ready for it next time and avoid it even more than he did this time. It's basically the only tool Wilder has so I don't think he's even capable of changing his gameplan for a rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,176 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wilder Points
    Rob2D wrote: »
    Paulie saying the result is a joke and that the mexican will never work in boxing again:

https://imgur.com/gallery/rSvCtFD

Data taken from 134 scorers using the Judgecard mobile app:

https://imgur.com/a/T21kgC3

Paulie’s an awful mouthpiece!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I think a rematch will be close and offer much of the same, I expect Fury to do the better boxing with Wilder swinging like a windmill looking to land big.

Id lean towards Wilder getting the job done next time though, I think if he hadn't of gassed so badly last night he'd of got Fury out of there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I think a rematch will be close and offer much of the same, I expect Fury to do the better boxing with Wilder swinging like a windmill looking to land big.

Id lean towards Wilder getting the job done next time though, I think if he hadn't of gassed so badly last night he'd of got Fury out of there.

I think if Fury pushed that little bit more last night he could have scored a knock down himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Thought a draw was a fair result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Draw
    walshb wrote: »
    Paulie’s an awful mouthpiece!

But he's also a very good commentator and in this instance he's also very right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Draw
    I see Stevenson is in a critical condition in hospital. Was it a particular bad knockout? Can't see it online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I think if Fury pushed that little bit more last night he could have scored a knock down himself.

I think that's because Wilder gassed badly and punched himself out on occasion.

I never got a sense last night that Tyson has the power to KO him.

Wilder Points
    I see Stevenson is in a critical condition in hospital. Was it a particular bad knockout? Can't see it online

I watched the finish last night and straight away got a weird vibe...

And today I hear this

His body language during the final assault was very groggy

Like he had the fight beaten out of him...slumped down..

Wilder Points
    But he's also a very good commentator and in this instance he's also very right.

He can be good when he slows down and shuts up every now and then..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Draw
    Angliru wrote: »
    As many predicted here, Wilder got the rub of the green on the cards yet again. Absolute nonsense.

As for Fury, legend doesn't do him justice. Robbed of one of the great comeback stories in all of sport. What he did last night was heroic. After all he has been through mentally and physically over the last few years, to come back after two meaningless fights and take the second best HW to school was staggering. And that recovery after the knockdown is the freakiest **** I have ever seen. To top it all off he's singing his heart out in the press conference after.

He might not be some people's cup of tea inside and outside the ring but to me Tyson Fury is one of the great characters we have. It is so good to have him back near the top of the sport.

That’s exactly the point I’m making too. Well put buddy

Wilder Points
    Anyone else find it odd that Jimmy Lennon announced that we have a split decision.....?

Usually with a draw, be it a majority draw or “split draw,” they just go to the cards....split decision announcement usually means a winner...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Needs more than 3 judges, can they have more dotted around the arena and use an overall average to score the fight. The system clearly doesn't work in these big fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Easy see how and why Wilder would slow down, for all those power punches he throws and he threw a lot last night, it exerts quiet a lot of energy and depletes the gas tank much quicker than throwing jabs.

After the knockdown in the 12th I felt Wilder backed off and let Fury off the hook a little, with 90 seconds to go Wilder stood off after the knockdown, maybe he was exhausted, I certainly don't feel he thought he'd done enough to get the decision as most would argue he should of lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

Draw
    Here's how I'd score it:

10-9
    9-10
    10-9
    10-9
    10-9
    10-9
    10-9
    10-9
    8-10
    10-9
    10-9
    8-10

115-111

Even if you find another 10-9 round for Wilder, it still would be an easy win for Tyson.

Exactly how I saw it.

Round 4 was close, but I couldn't give it to Wilder. No other round was in dispute for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Wilder Points

From looking at Twitter I think Antonio Tarver and George Foreman had it for Wilder too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

walshb wrote: »
    Adonis in a bad way after last night.....

Critical condition in icu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Draw
    What we seen last night was bordering on a miracle, truly amazing scenes when somehow Fury got up to beat that count.

Wonderful stuff in a division that was dead 5 years ago.

Obviously Fury won it but him going down twice they probably deserve to go again with their "0's" intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm no fan of Fury but the scoring in awarding that fight as a draw was farcical.
    Whilst he was knocked twice, but other than that maybe lost 1 round and controlled the fight.
    He made Wilder look like an undisciplined and really unskilled fighter throughout the bout.

The standard of Heavyweight in America really isn't great if Wilder can be shown up like that despite 8 title defences and such a high K.O ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Nal wrote: »
    Wont do big numbers in America and its a 7am bed time to stay up and watch it over here. Fúck that.

So much for that. Glad I stayed up. Very enjoyable fight. Rematch will be great.

Defo thought Fury won but not by as much as people were saying. Was never going to get the win after being knocked down twice. Not with modern judging.

Wilder Points
    megadodge wrote: »
    Exactly how I saw it.

Round 4 was close, but I couldn't give it to Wilder. No other round was in dispute for me.

Rd 1 definitely up for debate...

Wilder controlled most of it...

All 3 judges scored Wilder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Link to the fight here for anyone looking

https://www.mma-core.com/

Advertisement