Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury - December 1st

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Wilder Points
    walshb wrote: »
    We discussed before. Parker has both a solid chin, and employs a completely different defense to Fury, as well as being nothing like him stylistically or physically...

If AJ cannot find Fury’s chin I’d be very surprised...

Wilder eventually found it, and we know what some of you think about Wikder, and his being very poor...

AJ will find it easier and cleaner. Or do you disagree?

Parker didn't even have his chin tested in that fight. AJ landed nothing of substance at all really. Parker boxed on the outside all night in that fight. Fury will be doing the same but be ten times more awkward and also will be landing scoring punches himself and winning rounds. I don't think Joshua finds him easier or cleaner at all personally. I think Joshua is way too stiff and orthodox to give Fury any real problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Draw
    I think Fury has lot's to improve on. His balance seemed off last night. He ducked down to avoid a punch for the first KD and was bundled over by a clipping blow as a result.

He was going down from the right in the 12th as well due to being off balance, it was the follow up left that did the big damage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Draw
    This is true, but recuperative powers are always a risk. I’d rather have a rock solid chin at HW..weak chin will see you being badly hurt and hoping that your recuperative powers and body/brain does what it needs to...it’s a gamble every time...

Yeah, i think everyone prefers the rock solid chin and not getting hurt in the first place :P.

I was amazed at how steady on his feet Fury was when he got up in the 12th though. he was straight on the attack. I think it's a flaw in boxing scoring that the 9th and 12th are automatically scored 10-8 rounds. Fury should get some credit for winning the majority of the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,169 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wilder Points
    Morrison J wrote: »
    Parker didn't even have his chin tested in that fight. AJ landed nothing of substance at all really. Parker boxed on the outside all night in that fight. Fury will be doing the same but be ten times more awkward and also will be landing scoring punches himself and winning rounds. I don't think Joshua finds him easier or cleaner at all personally. I think Joshua is way too stiff and orthodox to give Fury any real problems.

Seriously, stop comparing Parker and Fury as regards their defensive capabilities...it makes no real sense...

Ok, if you think AJ wont find Fury’s chin clean and hard then we’ll have to wait until they meet...

One thing that does stand out for me...despite your comment about AJs stiffness, I believe he will go seeking the chin out more than Wilder. Wilder, as you all agree, fights cautiously and tentatively. It showed a fair bit last night..

AJ will be pushing harder offensively to nail that chin, and for me, he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Wilder Points
    Seriously, stop comparing Parker and Fury as regards their defensive capabilities...it makes no real sense...

Ok, if you think AJ wont find Fury’s chin clean and hard then we’ll have to wait until they meet...

One thing that does stand out for me...despite your comment about AJs stiffness, I believe he will go seeking the chin out more than Wilder. Wilder, as you all agree, fights cautiously and tentatively. It showed a fair bit last night..

AJ will be pushing harder offensively to bail that chin, and for me, he will.

If AJ comes out gun-ho he'll be gassed by the mid rounds. We saw that in the Klitschko fight. AJ has to keep some kind of considered pace imo. Learnt that lesson against Wlad. I'd just have to make Fury the favourite in that fight personally. It's a really really difficult style matchup for Joshua.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Og81

Draw

AJ will be pushing harder offensively to nail that chin, and for me, he will.

Do you watch boxing? Wilder cautiously. I coach kids week in week out who are more cautious then Deontay. He’s a head hunter he rushes head shots that’s why his hook always mirrors an overhand right.

Deontay Wilder is one of the most careless boxers in he HW division when it comes to rushing a finish and his shot selection is appalling. Round 7 he kept trying to poach the head while Tyson slipped inside and throw jab to the body then doubling it up with body head.

Wilder Points
    Morrison J wrote: »
    If AJ comes out gun-ho he'll be gassed by the mid rounds. We saw that in the Klitschko fight. AJ has to keep some kind of considered pace imo. Learnt that lesson against Wlad. I'd just have to make Fury the favourite in that fight personally. It's a really really difficult style matchup for Joshua.

I hope it happens..

Whatever I think of the result, one thing is certain, Fury has gusto....

A character. Who isn’t afraid to even admit his weaknesses...

I said it before, if I had confidence in the chin I’d be thinking a lot more on him winning...

We can mention recuperative powers all day...it just does not erase that gamble/risk/vulnerability at HW, against big heavy hitting g men...

Wilder Points
    Og81 wrote: »
    Do you watch boxing? Wilder cautiously. I coach kids week in week out who are more cautious then Deontay. He’s a head hunter he rushes head shots that’s why his hook always mirrors an overhand right.

Deontay Wilder is one of the most careless boxers in he HW division when it comes to rushing a finish and his shot selection is appalling. Round 7 he kept trying to poach the head while Tyson slipped inside and throw jab to the body then doubling it up with body head.

Replace cautious with tentative or scared..

Also, ask some of the knowledgeable and regular posters here about his style...

You do know what cautious means? It can be seen as hesitant, careful or reluctant...

Last night he showed cautiousness and wildness. It wasn’t all careless...had some good moments too...

Btw, nobody said he was not wild. He can be..

I had it for Wilder by a round or 2, had Ukrainian commentary which may have helped. :p 2 10-8 rounds and I gave him the first 2 and a couple more. Draw was fair enough with the knockdowns I thought.

Draw

You do know what cautious means? It can be seen as hesitant, careful or reluctant...

Last night he showed cautiousness and wildness. It wasn’t all careless...had some good moments too...

I’m well aware of his style I’ve boxed my entire life. He isn’t a shrewd boxer which usually comes from a cautious boxer. He makes the wrong choice 7/10 times when he’s selecting his range and punches.

• Advertisement

Wilder Points
    I’m well aware of his style I’ve boxed my entire life. He isn’t a shrewd boxer which usually comes from a cautious boxer. He makes the wrong choice 7/10 times when he’s selecting his range and punches.

I don’t disagree here..

Bit silly if we’re getting bogged down on the word cautious...

He is a mixture of a lot of things, and it’s not all reckless, wild, unorthodox and awkward...

Draw

Draw
    I don’t disagree here..

Bit silly if we’re getting bogged down on the word cautious...

He is a mixture of a lot of things, and it’s not all reckless, wild, unorthodox and awkward...

For me outside a Tyson fan, he does Deontay in a rematch and also does AJ.

Wilder Points
    For me outside a Tyson fan, he does Deontay in a rematch and also does AJ.

Possibly...

But be honest. You’ll be hiding behind the couch biting your nails praying...

What we saw last night sees to this...the real one time Wilder landed clean, and Fury was badly dropped...

Plus, Wilder for me has connected far heavier, and can connect far heavier...

Last night’s KD in 12 was from a good shot, but it wasn’t a Wilder dynamite shot..Watch it again. Plus, Fury kind of lucky that the follow up left Hook was a cuff rather than a clean connecting punch...

And Wilder has nothing left to close the show...

All these things have to be seriously considered if a rematch happens, and if a match with AJ happens. Be ignorant to not really factor them in.

Draw
    I'm boxing, I often feel that fans / judges incorrectly give rounds to a person that appears to be on the front foot, throwing punches but not connecting.

Wilder Points
    I'm boxing, I often feel that fans / judges incorrectly give rounds to a person that appears to be on the front foot, throwing punches but not connecting.

But you haven’t said what the opposition are doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fair enough. I would have gone to the hassle of looking that post up myself though.

I remembered that post didn’t take long to find

It’s entirely relevant just because it was in August doesn’t change it

Walshb was all chat about how foolish everyone would look so thought it apt to remind him of that post is all

Wilder Points
    Cyrus wrote: »
    I remembered that post didn’t take long to find

It’s entirely relevant just because it was in August doesn’t change it

Walshb was all chat about how foolish everyone would look so thought it apt to remind him of that post is all

Don’t think I said how foolish people would look..

You are looking a little foolish now trying to “show me up” because my prediction didn’t work out..

Big deal. It’s only a boxing match. Can’t get them all right...

It was a draw. Nobody won...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Draw
    Gutted for Fury but even he himself seemed ok with the result, its a win either way for him after all he has been through.

I've gone full 180 on Fury in recent times. Best heavyweight on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Draw
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Deontay Wilder has good basic boxing skills, something Tyson Fury doesn't have. Fury has weight, height and reach advantages. They are both unbeaten so it's an intriguing matchup but I really fancy Wilder will stop him in the later rounds.

Also, can we just take a moments pause to remember this gem of a post.

Maybe he was one of the judges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Wilder Points
    Sorry, but he was a little hurt, but not really...it was not a heavy shot on a 260 lbs man.

Look, if you want to take my comment of “chinny” to mean that Fury’s chin is Kinder Bueno, away you go. That is not what I meant...

Khan is chinny. Bernard Dunne too, but they still showed some ability to take punches...

They could not take a shot at all, Fury showed in this fight prior to the knockdown he can.
    Fury took clean punches off the hardest hitter in heavyweight boxing. As i said most heavyweight fighters, bar the likes of Mc Call and Vitali would have gone down in that 12th round.
    Fury showed he has a decent chin and tremendous recuperative powers last night

Wilder Points
    They could not take a shot at all, Fury showed in this fight prior to the knockdown he can.
    Fury took clean punches off the hardest hitter in heavyweight boxing. As i said most heavyweight fighters, bar the likes of Mc Call and Vitali would have gone down in that 12th round.
    Fury showed he has a decent chin and tremendous recuperative powers last night

I disagree on Dunne and Khan. Both chinny and weak punch resistance, but took some decent clouts as well...

Anyway, my point was never to imply that Fury has no chin...it’s not sturdy IMO. There is a definite weakness there...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Wilder Points
    One thing that does stand out for me...despite your comment about AJs stiffness, I believe he will go seeking the chin out more than Wilder. will.

He may be seeking the chin out more, but with Joshua's poor head movement and stiffness, i think Fury will easily see the shots coming and roll with them all night. It's an easy points win for Fury.

Draw
    Tyson has signed 4.3 million over to 7 homeless charities.

Wilder Points
    Tyson has signed 4.3 million over to 7 homeless charities.

I hope he’s following the trail...

Money, people, power, greed and corruption....

Lot of money that.....

Draw
    I hope he’s following the trail...

Money, people, power, greed and corruption....

Lot of money that.....

Yeah big time, I’m delighted for him the mans a gentleman, he’s eccentric but I’m glad if he gets the rematch then AJ will be a cash out with a F/W purse possibly 15 20mill after both he received 8 all in yesterday.

Wilder Points
    Rematch by May next year he should be targeting. Any longer and he’s the form for going off on a mad one...he needs to view last night as a “loss,” giving him the hunger to keep focused to try and correct it....

He starts hearing too much of how great he did and how he was robbed and he could fall in love with the fight and neglect the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Fury was robbed simple as that, gutted for him a deserved win would have fulfilled one of the great sporting comebacks. I hate to say i told you so but i told you so, i said for bloody years that Fury was an elite fighter, i fancied him to beat Wlad and he did with ease. Not gonna lie mind i was doubting him due to his layoff and how much his lifestyle during that time would have taken out of his body. Last night he boxed Wilders head off, for a man his size his movement is incredible pure natural gift.

As for the 12th i have no idea how in the name of Jesus he got up from that, for my money Wilder is the hardest puncher in world boxing, the bloke may lack some even basic skills but christ can he bang, i thought Fury was out cold from that one yet somehow he got up off the canvas. You can't help admire Fury both his fighting ability and his mental strength to go from being a near 30 stone depressed drug addict to outboxing a top 3 HW in the space of a year is nothing short of inspirational.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Fury KO
    Would love to see AJ fight Fury next. My only worry about Fury fighting Wilder again is can he box as well again ?

Although if you are being put down by a 3 stone lighter man then that is a problem . Wilder couldn't finish him off but AJ would do a better job at it I feel.

Oh, and that Mexican judge is a crook. On the take.

• Advertisement

Wilder Points
    David conman Haye to come out of the woodwork for a Fury payday? Anyone, anyone?

Advertisement