Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury - December 1st

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Fury KO
    I think people are trying to say is how can you call Fury terrible,
    He fought exactly the fight he wanted to and got the job done that no one has ever got done before,

I agree it wasn't pretty but I think it was a brilliant execution of a game plan he knew would work m

Even against Wilder he looked weirdly clumsy. He is very defensive and he doesn't seem to have the superb natural coordination that we associate with a top class boxer (I'm sure he has better hand eye coordination than 99 men out of a hundred but he doesn't seem to 'flow' in the same way). Of course he beat Klitschko comprehensively and should have beaten Wilder on the night (though I'm glad he didn't as it makes the rematch better and it is good for boxing).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

He is very defensive and he doesn't seem to have the superb natural coordination that we associate with a top class boxer

his coordination is imo the best of any of the elite heavyweights, for a man his size its ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Wilder Points
    walshb wrote: »
    When did I say this?

Fury got the win on the cards.....

That's the main thing for him...

I happened to think the display from both in the fight was terrible. Both terrible. Wlad gets overly criticized (in comparison to Fury) for his showing in the fight.

Millions of times. You've slated his performance in that fight for years now.

One example..
    BTW, the last Fury we saw was sh1t.....

Couldn't throw a handful of credible punches according to my book.

I know you don't particularly like Fury but I'll never be able to understand what your eyes are seeing in that fight. There's nothing **** about disarming the best puncher in the sport and beating him on the cards in a notoriously difficult place to get a decision. It wasn't the clinic or schooling that some people call it but it was extremely effective and one the most impressive wins of this decade because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Draw
    Even against Wilder he looked weirdly clumsy. He is very defensive and he doesn't seem to have the superb natural coordination that we associate with a top class boxer (I'm sure he has better hand eye coordination than 99 men out of a hundred but he doesn't seem to 'flow' in the same way). Of course he beat Klitschko comprehensively and should have beaten Wilder on the night (though I'm glad he didn't as it makes the rematch better and it is good for boxing).

WOW

Compared him's for to AJ who is ultra robotic in his movement, Compare him to Wilder who crosses his feet often n and can be wild,

Fury foot work and coordination is his strongest asset

Fury KO
    WOW

Compared him's for to AJ who is ultra robotic in his movement, Compare him to Wilder who crosses his feet often n and can be wild,

Fury foot work and coordination is his strongest asset

His foot work and basic boxing skills are first rate. I mean way way beyond first rate. You can tell to watch him that he learned the fundamentals properly and practised for a long long time. I don't think he is actually clumsy; like bumps his knee on things or spills his tea clumsy. I mean he was able to switch to southpaw. I don't believe that he has the same level of hand eye coordination that most professional boxers have. That's all.

• Advertisement

Fury KO
    Anyone think Fury could switch to Southpaw for the second Wilder fight. Anyone think of any pros and cons except keeping your head a bit further from Wilder's right hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wilder Points
    Anyone think Fury could switch to Southpaw for the second Wilder fight. Anyone think of any pros and cons except keeping your head a bit further from Wilder's right hand.

He'd likely allow Wilder a cleaner shot at landing that heavy straight right hand....

Wilder Points
    Morrison J wrote: »
    Millions of times. You've slated his performance in that fight for years now.

One example..

I know you don't particularly like Fury but I'll never be able to understand what your eyes are seeing in that fight. There's nothing **** about disarming the best puncher in the sport and beating him on the cards in a notoriously difficult place to get a decision. It wasn't the clinic or schooling that some people call it but it was extremely effective and one the most impressive wins of this decade because of that.

I never denied that IMO he fought terrible. He fought terrible and looked terrible fighting/boxing.

I was more replying to your assertion that he fought a "bad" fight.......

He got the win on the cards.....

There is a slight difference I think in what we are saying here.

Fury KO
    He doesn't look good but doesn't fight terrible.
    He is relatively ungaiNly compAred to other men who can contend to be world champion boxers but he fights very well.

Winning on points is winning.
    He can control fights. He can change styles. He can keep thinking while being punched. All against world champion boxers.
    I never denied that IMO he fought terrible. He fought terrible and looked terrible fighting/boxing.

I was more replying to your assertion that he fought a "bad" fight.......

He got the win on the cards.....

There is a slight difference I think in what we are saying here.

Wilder Points
    He doesn't look good but doesn't fight terrible.
    He is relatively ungaiNly compAred to other men who can contend to be world champion boxers but he fights very well.

Winning on points is winning.
    He can control fights. He can change styles. He can keep thinking while being punched. All against world champion boxers.

Well, in the Wlad fight for me he was terrible

Fury has looked very good at times in fights....

• Advertisement

Draw
    Well, in the Wlad fight for me he was terrible

Fury has looked very good at times in fights....

I just never wrap my head around how you think he was terrible,
    He boxed exactly the way he knew he could win and won ,

The fight went exactly how he set it out to go ,

I don't get what you expected for him to stand off and try out box Wlad from a distance, to have rock em sock em like AJ , I just don't get it ,

He boxed the way he knew he'd win and won , what more can you ask ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Wilder Points
    I just never wrap my head around how you think he was terrible,
    He boxed exactly the way he knew he could win and won ,

The fight went exactly how he set it out to go ,

I don't get what you expected for him to stand off and try out box Wlad from a distance, to have rock em sock em like AJ , I just don't get it ,

He boxed the way he knew he'd win and won , what more can you ask ,

It was the worst heavyweight championship bout I had ever seen

Draw
    Try_harder wrote: »
    It was the worst heavyweight championship bout I had ever seen

For excitement I'd agree,

But how can you not give credit to Fury,
    For a decade Wlad was unbeaten , no man has ever beat him on the score card in a pro fight , Fury went over to Wlad's back yard with a game plan to beat him, stuck to the game plan and won ,

Was it pretty no ,was it exciting no , but his execution of the plan was flawless, He won in possibly the only way he had a hope to win , In my eyes it was a fantastic performance from Fury and a very very clever one,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wilder Points
    For excitement I'd agree,

But how can you not give credit to Fury,
    For a decade Wlad was unbeaten , no man has ever beat him on the score card in a pro fight , Fury went over to Wlad's back yard with a game plan to beat him, stuck to the game plan and won ,

Was it pretty no ,was it exciting no , but his execution of the plan was flawless, He won in possibly the only way he had a hope to win , In my eyes it was a fantastic performance from Fury and a very very clever one,
    I don't think it was all down to Tyson.
    Vlad had a stinker IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Fury Points

Did you not see him flirt with south paw 3 or 4 times briefly for few seconds at a time in Wilder fight, was to open for Wilders straight right lunge everytime.
    That possibly aswers the question for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Fury Points
    I loved the fight. Thought it was very tense and was on the edge of my seat throughout. It was fascinating seeing such a dominant champion neutered like that and how often do you get to see history being made in the heavyweight division like that?

That said, it obviously doesn't satisfy the blood lust a lot of fans have and definitely doesn't stand up to repeat viewings.

Wilder Points
    Forget blood lust. Would it be too much to ask for skills/punching properly/landing effectively/not poxy holding and wrestling lust?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Wilder Points
    Forget blood lust. Would it be too much to ask for skills/punching properly/landing effectively/not poxy holding and wrestling lust?
    100%

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Wilder Points
    blade1 wrote: »
    I don't think it was all down to Tyson.
    Vlad had a stinker IMO.

It is. The reason he had a stinker is down to Fury, because he frustrated Wlad all night . Wlad, unlike against his opponents in the previous 10 years, could not come with an alternative to counteract Fury's game plan. The onus was on Wlad to do so when he knew he was losing, but he simply couldn't that's why he had a stinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wilder Points
    It is. The reason he had a stinker is down to Fury, because he frustrated Wlad all night . Wlad, unlike against his opponents in the previous 10 years, could not come with an alternative to counteract Fury's game plan. The onus was on Wlad to do so when he knew he was losing, but he simply couldn't that's why he had a stinker.

Nah, I disagree: the fact he couldn't come up with a plan b meant he had a stinker.
    There's no way that was the best version of Vlad IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Wilder Points
    *Wake up at 6,

-Go to catch up on fury wilder thread

-Glances at last 4 pages

-Turns off phone*

:D

Draw

But that was the game plan , Fury knew it was his best chance of wining and was able to hold and wrestle his way to victory ,

No one had ever came close to beating Wlad on the cards and Fury done so comfortably ,It was up to Wlad to find and answer and couldn't

Why should Fury stand off and make it look nice if he knew that way he wouldn't win , it would be incredible stupid of him to fight in a style he had no chance of wining ,

Its absorbed to say a fighter had a stinker when he's beat, Any time you lose in there baring injury you've been beat by the better man on the night and all credit goes to the victor ,

I think we all agree Wlad could have won a rematch to me that makes it even more brilliant and clever that Fury caught him so much by surprise with his style the first time Wlad had no answer ,

Fury Points
    But that was the game plan , Fury knew it was his best chance of wining and was able to hold and wrestle his way to victory ,

No one had ever came close to beating Wlad on the cards and Fury done so comfortably ,It was up to Wlad to find and answer and couldn't

Why should Fury stand off and make it look nice if he knew that way he wouldn't win , it would be incredible stupid of him to fight in a style he had no chance of wining ,

Its absorbed to say a fighter had a stinker when he's beat, Any time you lose in there baring injury you've been beat by the better man on the night and all credit goes to the victor ,

I think we all agree Wlad could have won a rematch to me that makes it even more brilliant and clever that Fury caught him so much by surprise with his style the first time Wlad had no answer ,

I don't think he caught him by surprise at all. They knew Fury's movement would cause issues, hence the 3-4 inches of extra padding in the ring that Team Fury demanded be removed before the fight. Apparently layers of foam had to be removed before the Wilder fight too, according to the BBC 5 live team.

It's also unfair to say he wrestled his way to victory when it's Wlad who initiated most of the clinches. Wlad has been a notorious jab and grab merchant throughout his reign (watch his fight against Povetkin, he should've been warned for it). He just came up against someone he couldn't physically dominate up close this time around.

Wilder Points

Obviously it was the game-plan....

I just happen to think it looked terrible, and it was a terrible display and example of boxing/fighting.

And I do not agree that his win over Wlad was more comprehensive or brilliant or clear than AJs; who beat Wlad and stopped Wlad, albeit taking some leather himself.

I don't think any more needs to be said here.

Draw
    Obviously it was the game-plan....

I just happen to think it looked terrible, and it was a terrible display and example of boxing/fighting.

And I do not agree that his win over Wlad was more comprehensive or brilliant or clear than AJs; who beat Wlad and stopped Wlad, albeit taking some leather himself.

I don't think any more needs to be said here.

Well you cant argue he won comprehensively, he won by 4 rounds on one card and 3 rounds on two cards, So that is a comprehensive win , you can't dispute that ,
    Weather you like it or not Boxing is score by rounds and he won more round by a distance ,
    Close rounds yes very close, close fight no not at all it was an unanimous ( which means in full agreements ) victory

I don't know if you have ever been in a ring but personally , id prefer to win comprehensively while never been troubled rather than being nearly dropped and nearly out and coming back ,

More clear winner was obviously Fury the fight was never in doubt for him ,The fight for AJ had huge moments of doubt, ,

AJ to me was the more exciting fight ,

Brilliant is subjective so that's up to your self,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Well you cant argue he won comprehensively, he won by 4 rounds on one card and 3 rounds on two cards, So that is a comprehensive win , you can't dispute that ,

i dont doubt that he will dispute it :o

Draw

Great video ,Fury only one to be clever enough to do it back and beat him

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Wilder Points
    blade1 wrote: »
    Nah, I disagree: the fact he couldn't come up with a plan b meant he had a stinker.
    There's no way that was the best version of Vlad IMO.

Unless he had an undiagnosed illness or a debilitating injury we never heard about, i can't see why he could not come up with a plan b, other than Fury being too good for him to do so.
    What else can you put it down? When an elite fighter loses you often hear it said he didn't perform to the best of his ability, when the truth is they were not allowed to be by their opponent. Wlad was not confident to throw because he was afraid of missing and getting tagged by Fury. If he was superior to Fury he would not have even needed to come up with the plan b, like he did not need to do so against so many previous opponents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭liamoreilly

Wilder Points
    https://m.facebook.com/goldstarpromotionsuk/photos/a.1656043911301844/2221623108077252/?type=3

...Meet and greet with the man himself...VVIP tickets very expensive, although could sell the glove for a price lol...

Advertisement