Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oven/microwave

Options
  • 02-10-2018 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Must get myself a microwave for my truck and ye lads with the campers would have a fair idea with what I'm looking for.

If I go for a microwave I won't be splashing out on a truck chef that's the bones of €600 I'd buy a large inverter and a handy microwave. But I've come across a 150w 24v oven way cheaper option since if I'm upgraded or move jobs it's easier take along with me. Any of ye use a low watted oven? I know it would be slower to head up a dinner but as long as it would heat it I wouldn't mind.

Comments

I'd be amazed if a 150W oven works if it's any bigger than a burger.

Ovens use kiloWatts

It's like the 12v hair dryers all over again.

Microwaves need true sine and a big battery (60kg+ in lead).

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

Im kinda fat so a burger just won't cut it.

The battery isn't a problem it's going into an arctic I'll just have to use an inverter.

The oven is a cheaper option and easier move on to another truck down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

IF you're not in a hurry there can be great deals on 24v inverters during the winter when all the boats are out of the water for refit.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

We bought a mini oven 7 years ago when we first bought the camper but returned it as it was too big. A halogen oven is handy but we'd mainly only use it on the continent as we tend not to use campsites in Ireland.

For anyone who uses slow cookers at home, wonderbags are brilliant for when you're on the move or have no electricity. You just need the job for 10 mins or so and then you're done.

(www.wonderbag.ie has €7 off with the code "motorhome" plus they donate one to a family where fuel is scare in the developing world with every one purchased).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭jace_da_face

Do 150 watt ovens really exist? It takes about 2 hours to roast a chicken in a conventional oven. I’m guessing probably around the 1.5 kW setting. So multiply by 10 for a 150W. Cooked chicken in 20 hours :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

That wavebox isn't a bad price to be fair.
    I don't think I'd chance a chicken in the 150w:P all I want to do is reheat a few spuds:D

Advertisement