Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social amenities on the NW side of city

Options
  • 02-10-2018 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭

With the upcoming demise of the Westwood - what social amenities are there on the NW side of city (or just ourside it)?

Comments

With the upcoming demise of the Westwood - what social amenities are there on the NW side of city (or just ourside it)?

Depends on the what the definition is for a social amenity

Pub, cafe, shop, post office, playground, sports ground, gym, library, walks, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I didn't know Westwood had amenities but I suppose it had some function rooms etc
    Dangan has sports activities anyway

What things are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Why restrict to this part of the City? Other area's have similar issues with lack of facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why restrict to this part of the City? Other area's have similar issues with lack of facilities.

Feel free to start a thread about them.

The point of this thread is to demonstrate that there are lots of amenitites, even if they don't (all) serve alcohol.

Starting the list:

Glenlo Abbey hotel
    Bushypark parish centre
    Dangan nurseries cafe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The point of this thread is to demonstrate that there are lots of amenitites, even if they don't (all) serve alcohol.

So this thread is just a response to the start of the demolition of the Westwood Hotel and to show the locals in Newcastle all the amenities that they have on there own doorstep?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

So this thread is just a response to the start of the demolition of the Westwood Hotel and to show the locals in Newcastle all the amenities that they have on there own doorstep?

Maybe the thread should consider the proper planning of an area
    ie this case
    Newcastle
    Bushypark
    Rahoon
    etc
    Quite a large area with c 10000 standing population + several large employers business parks and student block with a major dearth of social /meeting amenities

Social amenities for a lot of people are hotels, meeting rooms, bar/restaurants and or coffee shops ( Residents and workers in area )
    maybe a couple of places for meetings but zero of the rest

Ditto sporting amenities in which much of the Dangan sports grounds will likely be wiped out given the N6 Bypass if planning secured

i know there are a couple mentioned but...Glenlo is very high end and not conducive to community, others tiny..

Place is fairly grim post Westwood/Glenoaks/Kelehans demises etc
    wide open for a new amenity of social value

Kelehans again ?
    Newcastle community centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Starting the list:

Glenlo Abbey hotel
    Bushypark parish centre
    Dangan nurseries cafe
    If you knew there were lots of amenities, as you've just stated,then why start a thread asking what amenities are there!!

If you knew there were lots of amenities, as you've just stated,then why start a thread asking what amenities are there!!

When the Westwood's replacement was announced on the "Business opening and closing" thread, there was discussion about so-called social amenities in the area. It was - rightly - deleted as off-topic. So when the same "wahhh ... we haven't got a pub anymore" came up, I thought a separate thread would be a better idea to discuss it.

My list is FAR from complete. I'd like to see what others add - because it's not an area that know well. Other people know it far better than I do.

The golf course in glenlo is pretty decent and it's not expensive to play there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

The Westwood was a manky hotel with a ****e pub and crap food. It wont be missed.

The NW still have loads of amenities;

Running track in Dangan.
    Soccer pitch in Dangan.
    2 Rugby pitches in Dangan.
    2 GAA pitches in Dangan.
    Hockey pitch in Dangan.
    River walks in Dangan. Many km of river walks with lovely forests too.
    The River Corrib in Dangan - Great for swimming, boating, fishing, picnics etc

Is Westwide and Newcastle considered NW? Loads of cafes, shops, restaurants there. And a university with loads of same. A huge gym with a pool. Library in Westside and UCG. Indoor soccer hall and outdoor soccer pitches at Westside. Running track in Westside. GAA pitches in Westside.

Why am I even bothering with this stupid question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The Westwood was a manky hotel with a ****e pub and crap food. It wont be missed.

The NW still have loads of amenities;

Running track in Dangan.
    Soccer pitch in Dangan.
    2 Rugby pitches in Dangan.
    2 GAA pitches in Dangan.
    Hockey pitch in Dangan.
    River walks in Dangan. Many km of river walks with lovely forests too.
    The River Corrib in Dangan - Great for swimming, boating, fishing, picnics etc

Is Westwide and Newcastle considered NW? Loads of cafes, shops, restaurants there. And a university with loads of same. A huge gym with a pool. Library in Westside and UCG. Indoor soccer hall and outdoor soccer pitches at Westside. Running track in Westside. GAA pitches in Westside.

Why am I even bothering with this stupid question?
    Sports facilities a plenty but if not a student there isnt really much on offer.
    There is a lot more to social amenities beyond sport.

Sports facilities a plenty but if not a student there isnt really much on offer.
    There is a lot more to social amenities beyond sport.

Yes

Dangan is a fabulous amenity
    BUT will lose close to half those facilities with a bypass and likely to be closed off for building works etc

There are a dearth of social amenities in the area otherwise

Westwood was a super meeting place, both for work and functions/ meetings , have been at numerous events held there over last 20 odd years and before. As was Kelehans for a long time also .

It is a shame and cause for concern if a major part of city loses a lot of its amenities and is not in my view good planning. Other areas generally have neighborhood centres which I think was part of city development plans

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Now by "social" do you mean "have a drink"?

youngrun wrote: »
    Westwood was a super meeting place, both for work and functions/ meetings , have been at numerous events held there over last 20 odd years and before. As was Kelehans for a long time also .

Westwood Hotel was a dump and I imagine it was running at a huge loss. It is one of the worst hotels in Galway even from a business perspective. The bar is terrible and the food is awful which is why most people in the IDA business park avoid it. Your employers must be hard pressed if they chose the Westwood for business events.

Kelehans went downhill rapidly before it closed. It expanded in the boom but the quality of service went to hell for a few years before it closed. I believe they were going to reopen it except that there was a death in the family and there are legal issues with the estate. Kelehans was only popular before drink driving laws were taken seriously.

Anyone can run/walk around the 7 Dangan sports pitches or running track. You don't have to be a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Starting the list:

Glenlo Abbey hotel
    Bushypark parish centre
    Dangan nurseries cafe

Where or what is the Bushypark parish centre ?

Westwood Hotel was a dump and I imagine it was running at a huge loss. It is one of the worst hotels in Galway even from a business perspective. The bar is terrible and the food is awful which is why most people in the IDA business park avoid it. Your employers must be hard pressed if they chose the Westwood for business events.

Kelehans went downhill rapidly before it closed. It expanded in the boom but the quality of service went to hell for a few years before it closed. I believe they were going to reopen it except that there was a death in the family and there are legal issues with the estate. Kelehans was only popular before drink driving laws were taken seriously.

I beg to differ.
    Have been at business, social and various functions there over years at WW and it was always decent quality,good service and convenient

Gone now anyway and many people in area will miss them as a meeting place and social amenity etc is more my point

Anyone can run/walk around the 7 Dangan sports pitches or running track. You don't have to be a student.

Indeed, its a great community resource, all at the gift of the college. It would be a damn shame to see a dual carriageway through the middle of it

Bullocks wrote: »
    Where or what is the Bushypark parish centre ?

https://connachttribune.ie/residents-fail-prevent-go-ahead-new-pastoral-centre-404/

Possibly still under construction - there was building going on the last time i went past.

The article also notes that the school has a hall, and so does a local GAA club - yet more social amenities in the area.

youngrun wrote: »
    Indeed, its a great community resource, all at the gift of the college. It would be a damn shame to see a dual carriageway through the middle of it

Ah ok, I didn't realise you were anti-bypass. The bypass wont take up that much space - there is plenty around Dangan. The ring road is much more important but object away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ah ok, I didn't realise you were anti-bypass. The bypass wont take up that much space - there is plenty around Dangan. The ring road is much more important but object away.
    The bypass takes up a few pitches and you havent been there too much on a busy day of games/training if you think losing the pitches they are wont cause many issues

It is merely a statement of fact. There will be several pitches and sports facilities impacted and the general parkland amenity impacted .And hence the general amenity of the NW area of the city hit.

The ring road is an important project given traffic logjams and vital at this stage of growth
    Proper sports and recreational amenities are also a vital part of any city and areas within, especially given a Regional sports centre and Uni facility such as this

Compromise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

https://connachttribune.ie/residents-fail-prevent-go-ahead-new-pastoral-centre-404/

Possibly still under construction - there was building going on the last time i went past.

The article also notes that the school has a hall, and so does a local GAA club - yet more social amenities in the area.

Construction only started a few weeks ago and will be going on for over a year , as far as I know the school hall is just used for the vote centre and the local GAA club wouldn't be using the hall either .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Running track in Dangan. Soccer pitch in Dangan. 2 Rugby pitches in Dangan. 2 GAA pitches in Dangan. Hockey pitch in Dangan. River walks in Dangan. Many km of river walks with lovely forests too. The River Corrib in Dangan - Great for swimming, boating, fishing, picnics etc

Dangan for sure is great but I wouldn't be too keen to swim in the river. There are some signs warning against this by the jetty and (maybe?) opposite the castle. It has a current that is treacherous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Definitely don’t swim in the Corrib at Dangan. The currents are very strong and power boats go along it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Definitely don’t swim in the Corrib at Dangan. The currents are very strong and power boats go along it too.

Been swimming there my whole life and it's fine. Power boats is a bit of a overstatement. It's mainly the launches that accompany the rowers and a lot of them seem to be that catamaran type hull now. Currents in the middle can be fast moving, but it's usually fairly obvious when that happens and it mainly effects the middle of the river. Just stay towards the shore and you'll stay out of the current and the boat paths. To be doubly cautious about the currents, check if the weir gates are open and what the flow is like there and don't swim if you're in any doubt (true for any body of water).

I'm hugely disappointed the ring road will be cutting through this area. One of Galways hidden gems of a spot.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Been swimming there my whole life and it's fine. Power boats is a bit of a overstatement. It's mainly the launches that accompany the rowers and a lot of them seem to be that catamaran type hull now. Currents in the middle can be fast moving, but it's usually fairly obvious when that happens and it mainly effects the middle of the river. Just stay towards the shore and you'll stay out of the current and the boat paths. To be doubly cautious about the currents, check if the weir gates are open and what the flow is like there and don't swim if you're in any doubt (true for any body of water).

Yeah I have swam there since I was fairly young and while it's a powerful river, it's a lovely swimming river with little or no hidden dangers. Obviously you have to look out for rowers and the Corrib Princess but once you stay close to the shore, its fine. It gets deep fairly quick from the shore so I would advise only strong swimmers to enter at the pier across from Menlo Castle. I see the triathlon crews down there a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Yeah I have swam there since I was fairly young and while it's a powerful river, it's a lovely swimming river with little or no hidden dangers. Obviously you have to look out for rowers and the Corrib Princess but once you stay close to the shore, its fine. It gets deep fairly quick from the shore so I would advise only strong swimmers to enter at the pier across from Menlo Castle. I see the triathlon crews down there a lot.

Is there a sign there opposite the castle saying no swimming or is that elsewhere? I'm sure I saw a sign somewhere. If there is a sign I am sure there are reasons for it?

Advertisement